Semo's 2015 "What KC might want" Mock

All of my mocks are based on what I think KC will do in the draft.  What I want, would be totally different probably, but I am not making the picks.  So here is something in line with what I believe Dorsey and company will do.

1 (18) - Jalen Collins CB LSU 6'1" 203lbs.

Collins is exactly what Dorsey loves.  Tall, long, fast DB, with great awareness and playmaking ability.  Still needs a little polishing, but has all of the tools to be the best press man Corner to come out of this draft.  With Smith probably gone after next year, and Fleming a free agent, this pick makes sense.

2 (49) - Denzel Perryman ILB Miami  5'11" 236lbs.

Tackling machine who excels against the run, which is exactly what KC needs.  Sheds blocks well and fills gaps.  Good awareness, diagnoses well. 

3 (80) - Tyler Lockett WR Kansas State 5'10" 182lbs.

Excellent route runner, separates easily to get open.  Probably best suited for the slot, as his break away speed is lacking.  Good blocker.  High character, student of the game. 

3 (98) - Ali Marpet C/G Hobart 6'4" 307lbs.

Small school guy who made a name for himself at the Senior Bowl, and backed it up with good numbers at the combine.  Played Left Tackle in college, but projects to Center and possibly Guard at the pro level.  Technically sound athlete who is raw and will need some time.  Can backup interior positions next year and develop into a starter eventually.

4 (118) - Mitch Morse OT/G Missouri  6'5" 305lbs.

Old school player.  Will have to switch to Guard in the NFL but has all of the tools to be a starter.  Great run blocker, good punch, gets to the second level. 

5 (172) - Ramik Wilson ILB Georgia  6'2" 237lbs.

Solid, 3 year starter in college.  Sideline to sideline speed and a sure tackler.  Not a big hitter.  Developmental player who could be ready to take over for DJ when he retires.

5 (173) - Darryl Roberts CB Marshall  5'11" 187lbs.

Under the radar guy who gained attention from his pro day.  Freakish athlete who mirrors well.  Good tackler, plays the run well.  Could play outside or nickel.

6 (193) - Casey Pierce TE Kent State  6'3" 244lbs.

Excellent blocker.  Competent receiver who knows how to get open and will fight for the ball.  Some time on the PS would serve him well.

6 (217) - J.R. Tavai DE/OLB USC 6'2" 249lbs.

High motor with limited skills.  Situational pass rusher, but will probably earn his pay on special teams.

7 (233) - Ross Scheuerman WR/RB Lafayette  6'0" 204lbs.

Predominantly played RB in college, but has the hands to play the slot in the NFL.  Purely a project who could develop into a Wes Welker type of player.

To high for Collins (unless it's his LSU teammate that plays O-line  :) )  Actually, I like Kevin Johnson better.  Also a taller ILB who can defend the pass as well as the run would seem a better choice such as Anthony or Kendricks.  Hard to predict which WRs will remain on the board by 80 but I hope it's someone bigger and more able to fight for the ball in traffic than Lockett.  Like the way your draft covers the most obvious needs on the first two days and wouldn't be too disappointed if it fell this way.  Just think some of the early picks aren't the best available that their positions.  

The trade for and signings of olinemen this offseason makes me think that Dorsey won't use a high pick there.  I would love to have La'el Collins.  But, he'll be gone already anyway.  Dorsey values DBs and I really have the feeling that is the way they go.  I would be fine with Johnson.  Jalen is a freak to me and could be the next Sherman.

We don't need another DJ immediately inside.  We need that Thumper who can stop the run.  From what I have heard, KC hasn't spent a lot of time on Anthony (who I am high on BTW), so while he would be in a "what I want" mock, he was not included in this one.  Dawson seems to be the one they have paid the most attention to, and could be the pick in the 2nd.  His combine killed him.  A taller ILB who covers well isn't a huge need early with DJ coming back.  That is where the Wilson pick comes in later.  DJ has maybe 2-3 years left due to age and health.  Gives Wilson plenty of time to learn.

Lockett gets open and catches the ball.  Doesn't bother me at all that he is only 5'10".

With the looming Smith suspension, I can really see Collins as the Chiefs #1 pick.

It shouldn't be a long suspension. I would not draft a player due to the team missing one player for 2 to 4 games at the start of the season.

Dorsey drafts for next year, and not this year. 

I liked what DJ said at his presses yesterday, but still think the Chiefs need his compliment or replacement.  If DJ is 100%, then the Chiefs have the second ILB.  If not, they have a very athletic replacement.  Nothing against Perryman, but my understanding is that he's very good against the run and not so good in pass defense.  Kendrick or Anthony can cover a RB or TE better.

I really think it is an offensive tackle or cornerback in round 1 based on the number of high round visits to those positions alone. I just don't know if that player should be Jalen Collins. I don't like his limited experience that high. I'd much prefer Kevin Johnson.

I like it Semo. However, I think we've got enough tall corners and we still don't have a nickel back in the mold we've had since Dorsey got here. I doubt we'd take Collins and I think they'll like Johnson better too. I like Perryman, Lockett, and Marpet but, I think we'll take Lockett in the 2nd. We'll have to if we want him and I think they will. 

Archived