Mugsy Mock (4-24-15)

I was inspired by KCcrow and this is my "What I want" mock. I'm going all in and believe we are legit contenders for the Super Bowl this year. This draft is about winning now and quality over quantity.

Mugsy's "what I want" Mock (4/24/15)

1. Dorial Green-Beckham, WR, Oklahoma - Yes, there is a lot of film of him going straight down the field, jumping over a guy, and catching the TD but, you know what? That is freaking rare people. He's 6'6" and would be going top 10 if he hadn't gotten in trouble. As far as talent goes, he has just scratched the surface. If he stayed in school another year, he'd probably go #1 overall next year. Comparisons to Randy Moss are legit imo. Moss was just as raw. We have a veteran coach, a QB from his alma mater, and a WR from his alma mater. Put him in a room with Daniel at training camp and have Maclin coach him on the field. Put it on both of those guys to tutor and mentor him. They can keep him out of trouble for a year and that may be all we need. The locker room is strong enough to take a guy like DGB. He could be the difference for us. He will command a lot of attention and teams will have to game plan for him. 

1b. (From Baltimore) Kevin Johnson, CB, Wake Forest - We trade this year's 2nd and 3rd round picks and next year's 3rd round pick to move up to #26 (just ahead of Dallas). Baltimore needs a youth infusion and have lost some key players in the off season. Ozzie will be looking to trade back. People keep saying we are going to target a big corner but, I disagree. Sean Smith will be out a game or two but, we have Cooper, Parker, or Flemming to play for him. We signed Wilson to play strong safety if Berry can't go. Parker will play CB for Smith imo. Kevin Johnson is a quick, agile, shifty, and scrappy corner. He's not big and is not in the mold of the guys I mentioned. However, he is in the perfect mold of nickel back that Sutton likes. In New York, they spent a first round pick on nickel back Kyle Wilson. In KC, he used Flowers and Owens in the nickel. All of those guys are in the same mold as Johnson. We play in the nickel formation about 50% of the time. This a very important position and I'm addressing it early. Let's just get a good one and be done with the revolving door.

3. (Compensatory Pick) Jeff Heuerman, TE, Ohio State - Best blocking tight end in the class. He's also good all around. It's not a flashy pick but, it fills a serious need and he's a good player. I just don't believe in anything we have behind Kelce. 

4. Henry Anderson, DE, Stanford - He stands 6'6" and weighs 294 lbs. He is a perfect fit for our system. He's got a high motor, is a handful to block, and is a monster against the running game. I believe he's the best player available here in the 4th round. 

5. (Compensatory Pick) Shaq Mason, C/G, Georgia Tech - The only reason he falls this far is because Tech runs the option. However, you gotta understand this guy is smart. Every student has to take Calculus at Georgia Tech. You have to be smart to go there. He's a big mauler at 6'2" and 304 lbs. He is a superior run blocker and is athletic enough to learn to be a great pass blocker. He fits the mold Reid likes at center. 

5b. (Compensatory Pick) - Josh Robinson, RB, Mississippi State - Davis is a good back up but, Robinson might fit in better for what we do. He's got great hands. Maybe the best in the draft. He's not the fastest or most agile guy but, he gets it done. He's a rock at 5'8" and 217 lbs. and his nickname is "Bowling Ball." He's basically a poor man's Ray Rice. In my last mock I had him going in the 7th but, his stock is on the rise and I want to get him.

6. Nick Boyle, TE, Delaware - Another good all around TE. I think his stock dropped a little because he played at Delaware but, he's a good player. He's probably the second best blocker in the class. He's got a high motor, was a team captain, and has really long arms. He's got a lot of potential. It's my draft and I want to double down on tight ends. 

6b. (Compensatory Pick) Ladarius Gunter, CB/FS, Miami - He's a big corner who had a nice Senior Bowl. He didn't run the fastest forty at the combine but, he's got ball skills and is a solid tackler. He's faced tough competition and is battle tested. I like this guy on special teams and I think he can transition to free safety.

7. Derrick Lott, DT, Chattanooga - He started his college career at UGA as a rotational NT. He was good there but, was injured in a scooter crash one summer. He sat out for a while and eventually went back to school at Chattanooga. The injury is healed and he was a beast in 2014. He has experience in the 3-4. The only reason he falls this far is because he's 25 years old. He hasn't had an easy road but, it's obvious he wants to play in the league. He really shined at the East-West Shrine Game and he might be a steal in the 7th if he works out. 

Mugs, I only have a couple minutes and I'll give a thorough review later, but let me state one thing quickly:

Please stop comparing DGB to Randy Moss. There is absolutely ZERO comparative value there. I'm okay with you selecting him, and I'll talk about more later, but the comparison is a no go. Do you have any clue what Randy Moss did as a receiver at Marshall? His statistics were 2nd to no receiver in NCAA history over 2 years. His athletic ability is rivaled by no receiver in NFL history, and I'm including Calvin Johnson there. Randy Moss was a freak of freaks and the only guy that is even close in my estimation would be Calvin Johnson.  The only thing you can possibly compare between Moss and DGB is off field incidents. DGB is a nice athlete, but he's no Randy Moss and he's no Calvin Johnson. There are tons of receivers to compare DGB to athletically, its just that Randy Moss is not one of them.

Really want to fix o-line. The Chiefs have enough weapons if Smith has time to throw. Ist three picks could be o-line and I would be good with that. Don't care what the draft twits say. Don't care if its BPA. Don't care if its a reach. Best o-line avail that can play this year is good to me. Fix the o-line please!

1. Dorial Green-Beckham, WR, Oklahoma

I've made my thoughts known that I don't like DGB. I don't think he fits the system and I don't think he's as good of a player as people make him out to be. I also have HUGE concerns over whether or not he can make it in the league off the field. I've come to understand the Chiefs have legitimate interest in him, whether that be mostly fact digging or it being real genuine interest. I will accept it if the Chiefs draft him and root for the guy to succeed in every way, but if I had a choice I prefer they passed. I'd be more thrilled with Kevin Johnson here than DGB here.

1b. (From Baltimore) Kevin Johnson, CB, Wake Forest - We trade this year's 2nd and 3rd round picks and next year's 3rd round pick to move up to #26 (just ahead of Dallas).

I like the thought you have of trading up here and if you asked me I'd tell you that KJ is the best CB in this draft. I think that highly of the kid and I think he's going to be a phenomenal talent. I really don't see him dropping this far. I think you have teams ahead of this spot that need CBs like Philadelphia, Pittsburgh, and Arizona, with Cincinnati and Detroit also being potential players if the right guy is there. I think you have to take him at 18. I could be wrong but the tape on this kid is outstanding.

If I were to say trade up for a guy right here, it might be for Phillip Dorsett or Devin Smith at WR and I take KJ at 18. Hell, there could be an offensive tackle that falls and you move up for him. I can see the possibilities with a trade up. I'd actually consider with my mock, trading up for Stephone Anthony at this spot ahead of a team like Green Bay and nixing my pick of Tre McBride.

3. (Compensatory Pick) Jeff Heuerman, TE, Ohio State

I love Heuerman as a player and he's really underrated as a pass receiver. Up until this year he didn't do that much good blocking and was used much more as a down field threat. He really caught on as an inline blocker this year and that helped the team. I like him as the type of TE the Chiefs need because they already have their pass catching thread who is a good blocker too. The Chiefs could have some outstanding options with him in the lineup.

4. Henry Anderson, DE, Stanford

You know I like this kid and he's a really good player too. He's a guy that can contribute out the gate I think and he helps with the long-term outlook at the position. I don't think he lasts until middle of round 4. I had him late in round 3 and am worried at that point he won't make it. He's a good all-around player that fits a 3-4 defense and those aren't that easy to find.

5. (Compensatory Pick) Shaq Mason, C/G, Georgia Tech

If Mason can snap the football and move off the snap from that position like he does at guard, then this will be a good pick. That said, you can't just move everyone from guard to center so that's something I can comment on him excelling at. If the Chiefs think he can do it, great. I like Mancz much more as a C/G prospect (he's played both effectively in college).

5b. (Compensatory Pick) - Josh Robinson, RB, Mississippi State

I'm not a fan. He's a good little bowling ball, sure - in college. Reid runs a drive blocking scheme sometimes and that could help, but Reid has been prevalently zone for a while. He's a good receiver and that is attractive. All that said, I think he's going to have problems with his lack of speed in the pros and his very limited "wiggle" if you will. His best fit is as a 3rd down and goal line back, and that has value but I'm not sure I'd buy him for this football team.

Dreamius Smith is a big time sleeper as a power runner with much more breakaway speed. In fact, I've been thinking about altering my mock to have this kid in it in place of Alec May.

6. Nick Boyle, TE, Delaware

I like Boyle, not interested in two tight ends in one draft. If you pick Heuerman, I wouldn't pick Boyle. I've cooled off on Boyle some, because he doesn't play at a 5.00 on the field, but he's not as quick as you'd like.

6b. (Compensatory Pick) Ladarius Gunter, CB/FS, Miami

I think you have to play him at safety. He's just not fast nor quick enough to be a corner. He'll get lit up out there against NFL speed and quickness on the outside. He needs everything in front of him to be effective. Not opposed late, but I think there are better options if you're looking for a safety.

7. Derrick Lott, DT, Chattanooga

I think you have to take this kid earlier. Solid player. Wish he hadn't transferred but I get it. He's going to have a step up to the pros. I don't really think you need to take a second guy as a 5-tech. I don't know if he can be a NT for you. I doubt it.

I think DGB's jumping ability compares to Moss and Johnson - that's what I was referring to. 

Johnson is my favorite corner in the draft too but, I think it's absolutely plausible he falls to #26. Several of the "experts" have him going to Dallas. 

Would you like this draft better if I took Johnson at #18 and traded up for DGB? 

I think DGB's jumping ability compares to Moss and Johnson - that's what I was referring to. 

Johnson is my favorite corner in the draft too but, I think it's absolutely plausible he falls to #26. Several of the "experts" have him going to Dallas. 

Would you like this draft better if I took Johnson at #18 and traded up for DGB? 

So a guy that jumps 33" is comparable to two guys that jumped well over 40"? Nah. I'd put DGB in the Plaxico Burress, Hank Baskett, Limas Sweed, Marques Colston, Mike Evans type category physically and athletically.

What I'm telling you is the comparison you've made doesn't look valid, but you aren't wrong on the fact that he has the athletic traits that other successful receivers have had.

Take Johnson, trade up for Dorsett, Agholor, or Smith. :) Anything with DGB in it doesn't make me happy hahaha

Here's the bottom line.... When I see DGB, I see a guy that can do things that not many other players can do. Not just current players. I mean in the history of the league there are a handful of guys with his traits. I believe he is in those 10-12 impact players in this class. 

He's taller than Moss and his arms are almost as long. The vertical jump at the combine isn't all about measuring whether a guy can jump up and catch a ball. It's more of an indicator for measuring burst off the line believe it or not. When I watch the video on DGB, he reminds me of Randy Moss. I haven't seen anyone in college football since Moss or CJ consistently jump over people and make plays like that.

Guest eraser

Who of us suspected Dorsey would select Dee Ford? Not many, I presume. The draft is much harder to predict after the first three selections, and by the time #18 comes along, its all but impossible to foresee.

Take it easy on Mugsy. The guy put a mock out there. Not a lot did. It's simply a guys opinion.

Ah. He knows I respect him. I gave him my 2 cents and he gives me his. I like that. I don't like DGB. I was wrong ONCE on a guy that turned out to be pretty damned good, Dontari Poe. I'd sure love to get on the DGB train but I can't. I have the feeling the Chiefs will pick him and I'm just not that comfortable with that, but maybe I'd be wrong twice.

Ah. He knows I respect him. I gave him my 2 cents and he gives me his. I like that. I don't like DGB. I was wrong ONCE on a guy that turned out to be pretty damned good, Dontari Poe. I'd sure love to get on the DGB train but I can't. I have the feeling the Chiefs will pick him and I'm just not that comfortable with that, but maybe I'd be wrong twice.

Get over yourself.

:rolleyes:

Archived