Cameron Erving - Left Tackle

There has been growing enthusiasm for Erving to be selected by the Chiefs at 18. Most presume he will play Center as he did in 2014. I fought against it for two reasons. First, I saw Erving play, and he is too tall, too high cut, and stands up too quickly after the snap. In other words, he is going to get murdered by a 3-4 NT, and that is something that cannot be fixed with experience. Second, I have heard reports from people around the Chiefs that Eric Kush is very good, and should be a starting Center in the NFL. 

I changed my mind about Erving, well, sort of. I still do not believe he can start consistently in the NFL at Center. His center of gravity is too high, and his legs are not thick enough. However, there was a position he played at FSU that would translate to the NFL. 

Mr Erving will be a very good LT. He is better than Fisher. I wouldn't draft Erving to be the Center, but I would draft him to play LT. 

Here is how I would start the OL

LT - Cameron Erving

LG - Ben Grubbs

C   - Eric Kush

RG - Paul Fanaika

RT - Eric Fisher

Reserves 

Laurent Duvernay-Tardif

Zach Fulton

Derek Sherrod (if he is healthy) or a draft pick (Chaz Green at 124)

On the bubble

Donald Stephenson

Jeff Allen

Ricky Henry

Ever since his leg was severely injured against the Chiefs, he has not been able to play. If he can return, we may have our RT. The Packers gave up on him. That means he's likely very doubtful to make it, but you never know.

I like Erving, but don't see him as the pick, at either position. I have seen nothing on any meetings, workouts, etc., with KC. Doesn't mean he won't be. But with the oline upgrades made, they will probably go another direction early, unless Collins or Sherff fall.

JMO

6-6 does seem tall for a center.. but then my belief of a center is when QB's were no taller than 6'2"

didn't the Chiefs have a guy who played center or tried at 6'5" or better..wasn't he a DR or something? never did work out.

I think Fisher, Grubbs, and Kush are pretty solid in the Chiefs line plans for this year.  Fanaika, Allen, Stephenson,  Fulton, and first round draft choice battle it out for the right side with Stephenson the back up for Fisher.  We'll be watching the line play in TC a lot more this year.

Niswonger was pretty tall, IIRC.

6-6 does seem tall for a center.. but then my belief of a center is when QB's were no taller than 6'2"

didn't the Chiefs have a guy who played center or tried at 6'5" or better..wasn't he a DR or something? never did work out.

Niswonger was pretty tall, IIRC.

that was him

Erving is my favorite linemen in the class but, I doubt we take him. The o-line is almost set imo. Maybe they add a third day guy in the draft? They just aren't going to build a stud o-line. That's not where Dorsey is going to spend his money. 

I do not see the Chiefs taking a Center at 18.

If they take a center and move him to LT to replace the #1 overall pick 2 years ago, I will throw up.

w

So they won't take him; the Chiefs are very concerned with our TV sets being smashed and Wedt throwing up to do that or other opposed draft options.

I proposed Erving at LT as an example. It is not what I want them to do. I am for La'El being drafted at 18, if they stay at 18. However, there are exceptions. Good players may fall into their lap. Trae Waynes may fall, and I currently have him as one of the top 10 players in the draft. Todd Gurley and Melvin Gordon are both top 15 prospects at RB. If either fall to the Chiefs at 18, there will be pressure on at least two teams to move up to get one of those guys. I would swap Duke Johnson or Tevin Coleman over Knile Davis any day of the week. Of course, Davis no longer holds a high position to me. I feel he is loaded with talent, but has allowed someone to get in his ear. If I were Davis, I would fire the guy he has training him. Davis is working on his dance steps in the backfield, while he needs to learn how to quicken his first step. His career is crashing before us. 

Archived