Shane Ray popped for Pot..Chiefs in the 3rd????????

Report: Possible first-rounder Shane Ray cited for marijuana possession
Posted by Mike Wilkening on April 27, 2015, 8:40 PM EDT
cd0ymzcznguwzdbhnduynddiytjhm2yyzthlmtjjAP

An edge-rushing prospect thought to have a good shot at being selected in Round One has reportedly encountered an unwanted off-field issue three days before the draft.

Defensive end Shane Ray, a former University of Missouri standout, was cited Monday morning on a marijuana possession charge, Brandon Kiley of KTGR radio in Columbia, Missouri reported.

An online record from the Missouri State Highway Patrol shows a Shane Ray being cited Monday morning for possessing less than 35 grams of pot and a lane violation in Cooper County, Missouri.

According to Dave Matter of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch, Ray faces a misdemeanor charge and is to appear in court on June 30.

Rotoworld draft expert Josh Norris has the Cardinals selecting Ray 24th overall in his latest mock draft. And for a potential late first-round pick, the pot citation is a less-than-desirable development, to say the least. Moreover, the health of Ray’s foot has also been a storyline in the lead-up to the draft, though NFL Media has reported Ray does not need surgery.

Email
You May Like

I live in Cooper County..  I know most of the Troopers and one is a damned good friend. I'd laff my ass off it it was him.. Timmy Grunhardt was on the radio a few weeks back after that ESPN/NFLN ? Special on him. He recently spoke about how he was slipping. Grunny coached the kid in HS.  Right now it makes him look dumber than DGB without the Star Power..what a dumbass

I know it won't happen, but he should seriously go undrafted. 

3 days before you are set to make MILLIONS and you get caught and risk it all---definition of a dumbass right there.

He is a bigger risk for teams than Justin Houston. This happened right before the draft. There is no time to interview him to get his side of the story. Houston smoked pot before the combine. He fessed up to the mistake, and has been a model citizen ever since. 

Do GMs feel the same way about pot as they did 3-4 years ago? I feel like there is a much more liberal attitude nationwide. Do you guys agree? Will guys drop as far as they used for failing drug tests because of weed? Or, will teams just not be as worried about it? Why do guys really drop? Is it about public perception? Or, is it about trusting that a player will stay clean? I believe 50% or more of the players in the league smoke pot and I think the GMs know it. 

Do GMs feel the same way about pot as they did 3-4 years ago? I feel like there is a much more liberal attitude nationwide. Do you guys agree? Will guys drop as far as they used for failing drug tests because of weed? Or, will teams just not be as worried about it? Why do guys really drop? Is it about public perception? Or, is it about trusting that a player will stay clean? I believe 50% or more of the players in the league smoke pot and I think the GMs know it. 

I still think it plays a huge factor. Not so much that they do it, but for the fact that these guys know they will be tested and they still fail the test. That speaks volumes about a person in my opinion. Shows immaturity and bad decision making. 

I still think it plays a huge factor. Not so much that they do it, but for the fact that these guys know they will be tested and they still fail the test. That speaks volumes about a person in my opinion. Shows immaturity and bad decision making.

Yep, teams don't care what their players do (smoke, PEDs, etc.) if it doesn't negatively affect them (suspensions, legal issues, bad PR, any negative physical effects). If the league stopped suspending for weed, NFL GMs concern might dissipate quicker than society. But if a prospect knows he could lose money (draft position) and yet still do it, losing games to suspension isn't a big enough deterrence.

It's a reflection on following rules, putting the team first, being reliable, and public perception among other things.  No matter how a GM or coach feels about the issue, a player who endangers his reputation and draft status is a big risk and has to be downgraded.

Guest okiechief

Mugs

Think it was Bettis that said he thought close to 80% smoked. I dunno if its that much but I think people would be surprised at the amount that do and who does it.

Archived