How does everyone think this is going to shake out.  Assuming Fisher and Grubbs are set on the left side, who plays the other three positions?  Kush or Morse at center?  Fulton, Fanaika, or Morse at RG?  Allen or Stephenson at RT?  Anyone else in the hunt for a job?  Right now I would guess (starter/backup) Fisher/Stephenson, Grubbs/Morse, Kush/Morse, Morse/Fanaika, Stephenson/Allen but that would leave Fulton out and he improved during the season last year.  Predictions?

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Before any shifting that must take place due to injury, these are pretty certain:

LT: Eric Fisher

LG: Ben Grubbs

RT: Jeff Allen

Whichever player between center Eric Kush and right guard Zach Fulton doesn't meet expectations can expect to be benched in favor of Mitch Morse. There is also the possibility that Mitch Morse opens the year as an active backup.

That really only leaves room on the 53-man roster for two, or at most, three more offensive linemen. Paul Fanaika has had two functional years as a starter and is a versatile backup option. Derek Sherrod has upside, and can likely hold his roster spot if he can stay healthy throughout training camp. Laurent Duvernay-Tardif will have an opportunity to show that he really wants to have a career in the NFL. Donald Stephenson, with one year to go on his contract and a lackluster 2014 showing, is on the roster bubble.

Jeff Allen:  Weeknesses - Allen is not a flashy blocker and is a bit of a slow mover at times. He doesn't necessarily excel at either the tackle or guard spots and is a bit of a tweener. There could be some exploitation of his athletic ability at the next level.

http://www.nfl.com/combine/profiles/jeff-allen?id=2532787

Jeff Allen is as good as he is going to get, and he is getting beat. It is not because of lack of effort, but because he is athletically limited, and cannot move quick enough or identify and react quick enough. I think Jeff Allen is going to be cut this year. 

If they keep either Jeff Allen or Donald Stephenson, it will be Donald Stephenson. The Chiefs have plenty of Guards. A Tackle is generally 6'5" or taller. Jeff Allen is 6'4". He could make that up if he were more athletic, and worked quicker, but that is not Jeff Allen. He is more of a slow, plodding Tackle that is undersized. 

Donald Stephenson has ideal size. However, he does not use it. He gets lazy at times. While Allen plays above his ability, Stephenson has yet to do so. His biggest issues are the spaces between his ears. The Chiefs tried to get his attention last season. If it was all about a suspension, then Stephenson would have been playing. It was more than that. It was his attitude, and that is why there is some question as to if he will get another shot. 

Before the draft I gave Donald Stephenson a 30% chance of being on the team. He made statements on Twitter that seemed to indicated he himself questioned whether he would get a chance. The ideal situation would be for Donald Stephenson to get engaged, and win that spot. If he could separate himself from the outside influences he would be better served. I don't know if it will happen. 

http://www.nfl.com/combine/profiles/donald-stephenson?id=2532993

LT - Eric Fisher

LG - Ben Grubbs

C   - Eric Kush

RG - Zach Fulton

RT - Mitch Morse 

Mitch Morse is 6'5", and played T for Missouri. He played Center early in his career. He can play all positions. He is rugged tough. 

If Kush goes down to injury or cannot handle the pressure, then Morse can slide over to play Center. Paul Fanaika will take Morse position. Fanaika will back up Zach Fulton at RG. 

http://www.nfl.com/combine/profiles/paul-fanaika?id=71293

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2014/profiles/zach-fulton?id=2543862

The Chiefs should consider cross training Zach Fulton to play Center. 

I am in the same camp as Eraser right now....Sherrod is still an unknown until we see how he is moving at mini-camps.

I am not a Jeff Allen fan and Kush is a total unknown to me.

I have been hearing Chief coaches talking up players for over 40 years so it's all "Chatter" until the guy gets on the field for a game.

My line right now:

Fisher

Grubbs

Morse

Fanaika/Fulton

Stephenson

w

I am in the same camp as Eraser right now....Sherrod is still an unknown until we see how he is moving at mini-camps.

I am not a Jeff Allen fan and Kush is a total unknown to me.

I have been hearing Chief coaches talking up players for over 40 years so it's all "Chatter" until the guy gets on the field for a game.

My line right now:

Fisher

Grubbs

Morse

Fanaika/Fulton

Stephenson

w

I hope LT takes a step or it means nothing. The improvements everywhere else won't matter.

I think Fisher will be fine...  He has all the talent in the world, plays hurt and has a great attitude.

Its the NFL and LT's are like wine....they get much better with time.

w

Im still no excited about this lineup. Fisher, Grubbs Morse are ok. Kush did not play a snap last year? The rest already proved they are bench players at best.

While the line has a lot to prove, it looks a lot better on paper than last season.  Grubbs is a huge upgrade.  Fisher should settle in for his second year at LT.  There may be a downgrade at center, but the right side should be better.

Im still no excited about this lineup. Fisher, Grubbs Morse are ok. Kush did not play a snap last year? The rest already proved they are bench players at best.

While my needle for the offensive line leans more toward "Not Excited" than "Excited", I can at least say that my needle for the offensive line's ability to provide pass protection is pointing in the direction of "Not Scared" more so than "Scared". As for run blocking, which this line's personnel is best suited for, I don't think there's any question that Kansas City can be dominant. If your team can keep your quarterback upright, your runningbacks will stay upright as well.

Hopefully the O-line will be good enough to take the excuses away. WR has been taken care off. TE is solid. Best RB in the game.

yep if the o-line comes together its put up or shut up...

I have heard Eric Kush is a monster. He might be the strongest guy on the offensive line. I also heard Eric Fisher is healthy, and his injury to his left shoulder was much more serious than we knew. He played through it even though it was fairly dead since preseason his rookie year. 

My guess is LT Eric Fisher will be much improved, but still be a little behind the curve. I believe Ben Grubbs will resolve all issues at LG. I think Eric Kush will be the Center, and the Chiefs will install Mitch Morse at RG. RT will be won out by either Jeff Allen or Donald Stephenson. Donald Stephenson has the most ability, but Jeff Allen has the biggest inner drive. Either way, I believe the offensive line will be better than last season. Unless there are massive injuries, I expect the sacks to go down significantly. 

I do not believe the Chiefs drafted Mitch Morse to replace Hudson. Morse played 6 games at Center for Missouri, early in his career. He was not very good, especially in shotgun formations. Morse was a good run blocker, but an even better pass protector. He is very quick, and very strong. Morse lifted 36 reps, and ran the short shuttle in 4.5. Morse has a burst, and is strong enough to sustain it. His blocking technique is good. I really did not have Morse on my radar. He is much better than I thought, and I am warming up to his selection. 

That's interesting....Thanks E.

I see Morse as a perfect compromise between Reid and Dorsey.....Green Bay and Philly always loved nasty Linemen that could play several positions.

Morse fits the Bill as he offers a back up plan ALL ACROSS THE LINE...

w

I see Morse as a perfect compromise between Reid and Dorsey.....Green Bay and Philly always loved nasty Linemen that could play several positions.

Morse fits the Bill as he offers a back up plan ALL ACROSS THE LINE...

The interesting thing here is that even though it's hoped that Morse will start, his flexibility at offensive line position means more than just the ability to slide him over to cover the position of the line's best man in the case of illness or injury. For a general manager that is as devoted to the concept of Best Player Available as John Dorsey is, Morse could potentially be that player that opens the possibility for the Chiefs to enter the 2016 draft with the thought that if a top-shelf tackle or guard doesn't fall far enough, but yet such a center does, now Morse can slide to take over the position of what the current sixth-best offensive lineman is.

This selection has been so underrated by Chiefs fans. It really is a big deal.

My current thoughts are:

LT Fisher

LG Grubbs

OC Kush

RG Morse

RT Stephenson

4 backups: Duvernay-Tardiff, Fanaika, Fulton, and one of Allen or Sherrod but I'm leaning Allen.

My current thoughts are:

LT Fisher

LG Grubbs

OC Kush

RG Morse

RT Stephenson

4 backups: Duvernay-Tardiff, Fanaika, Fulton, and one of Allen or Sherrod but I'm leaning Allen.

I don't see Laurent Duvernay-Tardif making the 53-man roster to start the season. The Chiefs had obvious needs last year across the offensive line, but never once thought that he should have been promoted to the 53-man roster, much less the active roster. There are a lot of teams that would pass on him if waived purely because it doesn't seem certain that he wants to play in the NFL. If Derek Sherrod 'survives' the pre-season, I'm pretty sure he makes the team.

Archived