• Created
  • Last Reply

I hope

LT Fisher

LG Grubbs

C Kush

RG Morse

RT Stephenson

But Kush and Stephenson need to step up.

Stephenson has the talent, but so far hasn't shown the head.  Apparently the Chiefs like Kush's attitude and think he has the talent, but we don't know yet.  Morse has the drive, but hasn't even gotten past the rookie mini-camp.  That's three "buts" on the O-line and maybe too many to fix last year's problems in one off-season.  I can't wait for TC to see how this all shakes out.

Stephenson has the talent, but so far hasn't shown the head.  Apparently the Chiefs like Kush's attitude and think he has the talent, but we don't know yet.  Morse has the drive, but hasn't even gotten past the rookie mini-camp.  That's three "buts" on the O-line and maybe too many to fix last year's problems in one off-season.  I can't wait for TC to see how this all shakes out.

Very true. Online and WR are still huge question marks. I mean we have Grubbs and Maclin. After that is a lot lot of question marks. I feel pretty good about being better. Need some bodies to step up though. I think Morse and Fisher do.

Everything seems to indicate to me Allen will be the odd man out, and Stephenson will play RT. However, there is a huge difference between the two, and that points me back the other way. Jeff Allen is a family guy, steady, and very loyal to this team. He works his butt off. I don't ever want to root against a guy like that. 

This is what I get from Stephenson... 

You are blocked from following @Don59Wayne and viewing @Don59Wayne's Tweets.

I have blocked others too. I have never tweeted anything pejorative about him on twitter. I have expressed what I thought in here... in this very forum. Therefore, either he has a mole in Chiefscoalition, or he reads it. My guess is he has a mole. I am not the only one to be blocked. Of course, I have alternative methods to read his tweets.

Let's put it this way... Stephenson was not in Andy Reid's dog house all season long just because he was caught taking Adderall by the league, and suspended a few games. It goes deeper.  

PS  To be transparent, I block a lot of people on Twitter too. I normally block them because they are selling something, and I don't want that crap. I block them because they post vulgar or indecent stuff, and I don't want my family or my boss to see it on my phone. I block them because they are part of a political watch group. I block twitter accounts. I just don't do it because someone told me they read something I wrote that was critical. 

Everything seems to indicate to me Allen will be the odd man out, and Stephenson will play RT. However, there is a huge difference between the two, and that points me back the other way. Jeff Allen is a family guy, steady, and very loyal to this team. He works his butt off. I don't ever want to root against a guy like that.

Agree, but I do root against that avatar. I don't want to keep seeing that every time I see your posts. Shutter.

Agree, but I do root against that avatar. I don't want to keep seeing that every time I see your posts. Shutter.

It makes me want to heave. I tried to change it to something a little funnier, but what I wanted didn't work out. I plan on changing it soon. It is repulsive. I agree. 

Lets not canonize Morse yet.   He has not yet played a single down in the National Football League.   Remember how Boomer Grigsby was anointed a middle linebacker position by fans before training camp had even begun.  

Wait and see.

Lets not canonize Morse yet.   He has not yet played a single down in the National Football League.   Remember how Boomer Grigsby was anointed a middle linebacker position by fans before training camp had even begun.  

Wait and see.

but... but.. don't you remember how boomer ran down the field like a 'crazy white boy!!"...

Wait and see.

Boomer was a 5th round pick, and that was way too generous. 

After seeing an avatar that actually has an association with your name, I am curious as to how you selected your user name.

I am lazy, and it was easy. It is a portion of my original email address. I used to have an email address with my name. It was an AOL account. I got personalized messages from people trying to scam me because I used my real name. I decided to change it, and come up with something completely different. I gave it some thought. I looked at the paper I was reading, and there was an article about Marvin Webster, who played in the old ABA. His nickname was the Human Eraser. I was a fan of his. I also, looked at the meaning of the word Eraser as it pertained to my life. It seemed to fit. Without going into great detail, I have perfected the ability to forget about past events, and press on. I think the ability to forget and move on is one of the key attributes of my life. 

When I joined the old KC Star discussion board, I used Eraser as my nickname. I used to make fun of the people running that board, because they were stupid, and many of the people in that forum were as well. I was invited to join this discussion board. I don't know why they did this. It was probably by mistake or on an off day. Huge mistake. Anyway, I carried over the name. I have been using ERASER since 1990. 

I am lazy, and it was easy. It is a portion of my original email address. I used to have an email address with my name. It was an AOL account. I got personalized messages from people trying to scam me because I used my real name. I decided to change it, and come up with something completely different. I gave it some thought. I looked at the paper I was reading, and there was an article about Marvin Webster, who played in the old ABA. His nickname was the Human Eraser. I was a fan of his. I also, looked at the meaning of the word Eraser as it pertained to my life. It seemed to fit. Without going into great detail, I have perfected the ability to forget about past events, and press on. I think the ability to forget and move on is one of the key attributes of my life. 

When I joined the old KC Star discussion board, I used Eraser as my nickname. I used to make fun of the people running that board, because they were stupid, and many of the people in that forum were as well. I was invited to join this discussion board. I don't know why they did this. It was probably by mistake or on an off day. Huge mistake. Anyway, I carried over the name. I have been using ERASER since 1990. 

There's always an interesting back-story to avatars. The 1990 bit surprised me: I wasn't even connected to the Internet until 1995, and I went through a couple avatars before I settled on PhataLerror and a couple of variants at the turn of the century.

It is good to be able to forget the past as long as you can do so without forgetting the lessons learned.

Ear.

Wait and see.

Fair enough, but he won't need to be a HOFer to start on this line. An orange construction barrel had 3 starts at RT last year.

I don't see Laurent Duvernay-Tardif making the 53-man roster to start the season. The Chiefs had obvious needs last year across the offensive line, but never once thought that he should have been promoted to the 53-man roster, much less the active roster. There are a lot of teams that would pass on him if waived purely because it doesn't seem certain that he wants to play in the NFL. If Derek Sherrod 'survives' the pre-season, I'm pretty sure he makes the team.

lol what? He spent the season on the 53 man roster.... he just wasn't activated. Guess the Chiefs better cut Aaron Murray too because he spent the year on the 53 but inactive....

The age of the Internet and Social Media has made fans too much of a "NOW" group. The guy needed to develop NFL technique and strength, he wasn't ready to play. That doesn't mean he's garbage. Most NFL players need that 1st year to learn and 3 years to fully develop.

There's always an interesting back-story to avatars. The 1990 bit surprised me: I wasn't even connected to the Internet until 1995, and I went through a couple avatars before I settled on PhataLerror and a couple of variants at the turn of the century.

It is good to be able to forget the past as long as you can do so without forgetting the lessons learned.

Sometimes, but often things happen, and they happen to all of us. Your choice is to keep looking at those things, and let it hold you back or move on. The option of forgiveness, and forgetting is open to all of us. Often, I see people rehearse their life failures, or disappointments as if they were recorded on a video tape. Instead of living their life, they rehearse those injuries. The thing that hurt them most was not the initial insult, but the unwillingness to let it go. 

In 1987, I bought a Leading Edge computer. It was a 8088 IBM clone, and it was in monochrome. The hard drive was only 20 MB, and it cost about $2000 (including the printer). AOL was just about the only company to deal with, but email was new, and exciting. Of course, you could go to a university, and get on their search engines, but AOL made all this available to the home user. 

Two or three years later, the computer, I paid so much for was worthless. Computers were still very expensive for what you got, but the jump in technology was huge. I had the opportunity to sell my computer to a friend for nearly what I paid for it, but I declined the offer. It wasn't long until that computer was junk, and I bought another expensive boat anchor. I was in business school and needed the newest. Looking back, that was a very expensive period of time. The equipment I purchased to replace the 8088 was worthless within a few years as well. However, those purchases were needed to get me to the next level each time. I grew up on BASIC, and then DOS. Neither is important to me today. All of this is what I would call a sunk cost. Had I known what I know now, I probably would not have laid down the money. Some people kept those early computers in a closet for years. They were never going to recover the costs, but they cannot let go of the purchases. A good business person knows the concept of sunk costs, and understands it is necessary to scrap things that are no longer of value, and move on.

In much the same way, guilt holds people back. Guilt is a necessary emotional response that helps restrain people from hurting others. However, it can also keep a person in a rut. There is a difference between a forgetting defense mechanism that occurs due to stress, and a life strategy of allowing oneself to forget. Like those video tapes people review of their past events, we can choose to package those tapes, and put them in a mental closet. I can still go back and recall events if I wish, but by deciding to store those events away, I no longer have to spend valuable mental circuitry to retain them. I simply move on to something more productive. 

Erasing or allowing yourself to get beyond also allows a person to forgive, and that helps interpersonal relationships. Too many people hold onto hurtful words or actions, and this ends up ruining friendships or even a marriage. 

Learning from your mistakes is nice. Learning from your successes is even more important. 

Don't forget the open freeway at LG.   :lol:

I recall harping on Jeff Allen because he got beat. Then Allen was injured, and his replacements made Jeff Allen look like he deserved to be in the hall of fame. We now have Grubbs in his place. Grubbs was rated about halfway from the top or bottom in the league last year. It was not a good season for him. He had some injuries, and he should be better this year. He will be better than we were used to in the recent years. 

Alex Smith is athletic. He has seldom had exceptional protection during his career. If the newly revamped offensive line can give Smith a little more time in the pocket, the Chiefs have plenty of weapons in their offensive quiver. 

I live in AZ I'm a Chief fan and my favorite number that I wore back in the day is 21. So there's that.

Alex Smith is athletic. He has seldom had exceptional protection during his career. If the newly revamped offensive line can give Smith a little more time in the pocket, the Chiefs have plenty of weapons in their offensive quiver. 

49ers fans jumped all over Alex Smith in 2011 because kicker David Akers was the highest scoring player on the team that season. In particular, 49ers fans griped about the nine-sack debacle at the hands of the Ravens in a Thursday night away game, blaming Smith for holding the ball too long (the game ended in a 6-16 loss). What they forgot within hours of that game was that the 49ers had momentarily taken a one-touchdown lead early in the second quarter with a deep catch-and-run completion to Ted Ginn that was nullified by a chop block penalty charged to the runningback, but that occurred because the offensive guard, Chilo Rachal, did not execute his assignment and instead put his hands on the pass-rushing defender that Gore had otherwise already legally blocked.

Later that week, local media began blasting the under-performing players of that offensive line, especially Chilo Rachal, about whom it was said: 'Leave the gap between the center and the tackle... gaps don't give you pointless false start and chop block penalties'. The following season, the same Chilo Rachal started for the Bears across from the 49ers in Colin Kaepernick's career first start, in which Aldon Smith had a career-best five-and-a-half sacks.

If Smith had not spent almost the entirety of his career behind either bottom-of-the-barrel interior linemen or inexperienced interior linemen that only later learned how to play the position at the NFL level, he would not have the reputation of being a quarterback that favors the short pass. I can't think of another quarterback I would want behind center for my team if that line is known to constantly yield quick A- and B-gap pressures. Smith is not the best quarterback in the league, but there are some things that he handles better than just about anyone else at the position. There's still an argument to be made that if Smith comes out of the third quarter of the week 16 Steelers game with his spleen intact, the Chiefs could have been in the post-season in 2012. Name another NFL quarterback that would have been able to do that with the talent found on that offense.

In 1987, I bought a Leading Edge computer. It was a 8088 IBM clone, and it was in monochrome. The hard drive was only 20 MB, and it cost about $2000 (including the printer). AOL was just about the only company to deal with, but email was new, and exciting. Of course, you could go to a university, and get on their search engines, but AOL made all this available to the home user. 

Two or three years later, the computer, I paid so much for was worthless. Computers were still very expensive for what you got, but the jump in technology was huge. I had the opportunity to sell my computer to a friend for nearly what I paid for it, but I declined the offer. It wasn't long until that computer was junk, and I bought another expensive boat anchor. I was in business school and needed the newest. Looking back, that was a very expensive period of time. The equipment I purchased to replace the 8088 was worthless within a few years as well. However, those purchases were needed to get me to the next level each time. I grew up on BASIC, and then DOS. Neither is important to me today. All of this is what I would call a sunk cost. Had I known what I know now, I probably would not have laid down the money. Some people kept those early computers in a closet for years. They were never going to recover the costs, but they cannot let go of the purchases. A good business person knows the concept of sunk costs, and understands it is necessary to scrap things that are no longer of value, and move on.

In much the same way, guilt holds people back. Guilt is a necessary emotional response that helps restrain people from hurting others. However, it can also keep a person in a rut. There is a difference between a forgetting defense mechanism that occurs due to stress, and a life strategy of allowing oneself to forget. Like those video tapes people review of their past events, we can choose to package those tapes, and put them in a mental closet. I can still go back and recall events if I wish, but by deciding to store those events away, I no longer have to spend valuable mental circuitry to retain them. I simply move on to something more productive. 

Erasing or allowing yourself to get beyond also allows a person to forgive, and that helps interpersonal relationships. Too many people hold onto hurtful words or actions, and this ends up ruining friendships or even a marriage. 

Learning from your mistakes is nice. Learning from your successes is even more important. 

Your two computers were my Star Wars and Pokémon cards.

Actually, I think I paid more.

Your comments about excessive guilt and the inability to forgive are words to remember. The trick with guilt is that some people have no specific standard against which to determine their own guilt, and therefore, they are vulnerable either to feelings of excessive and unwarranted guilt, or to denying guilt over matters about which a healthy measure of guilt would provoke beneficial behavioral changes. How and why we felt guilt or regret over a matter even determines what lessons we learn from our mistakes, meaning that even if the guilt felt over a matter provokes a behavioral change, it may not be the most beneficial one.

I have found it somewhat interesting that over the years, feelings of guilt that ultimately led to sustained and beneficial behavioral change on my part eventually give way to a much less painful emotion concerning that particular past event: I might in a matter-of-fact way call the action, thought, or feeling over which I initially felt guilt 'idiotic', while at the same time I don't continue to have that painful sense of condemnation. The conscience is an interesting tool. Its value is grossly understated.

Good conversation about guilt and forgiveness within one person. One thing I don't think I will ever understand is forgiveness from a parent to a lost child, unless there's a confession and sincere remorse (even then, I don't think I'd be capable fully. Accident or not.)

That's why I was a little bit upset when the mother of Oldin Lloyd said during Hernandez's sentencing that she "forgave anyone who had a hand in her son's murder." I couldn't have any empathy/understanding of that statement because no one confessed and it was such a large net cast ("anyone who had a hand"). It really comes down to personal handling of your grief. It turns out truly moving on may require forgiveness, even of those who share none of their guilty feelings with others, even in an anonymous manner ("forgive anyone" vs. "forgive you (specifically).

Good conversation about guilt and forgiveness within one person. One thing I don't think I will ever understand is forgiveness from a parent to a lost child, unless there's a confession and sincere remorse (even then, I don't think I'd be capable fully. Accident or not.)

That's why I was a little bit upset when the mother of Oldin Lloyd said during Hernandez's sentencing that she "forgave anyone who had a hand in her son's murder." I couldn't have any empathy/understanding of that statement because no one confessed and it was such a large net cast ("anyone who had a hand"). It really comes down to personal handling of your grief. It turns out truly moving on may require forgiveness, even of those who share none of their guilty feelings with others, even in an anonymous manner ("forgive anyone" vs. "forgive you (specifically).

Forgiveness is for your benefit, not theirs.  Holding a grudge just messes with your psyche.  The person you have the grudge against seldom cares whether you forgive them or not. 

Archived