Bench Press - 17

Vertical Jump - 38.5

Broad Jump - 11'3

3-Cone - 6.66

20 Yard Shuttle - 4.25

60 Yard Shuttle - 11.07

Half and half- all the quickeness stuff is jones

That's how you get open... But those results from Conley are impressive

What matters is what they accomplish on game day. I would take Julio over Conley any day. Maybe someday Conley can be that man. Right now, he isn't. 

There isn't a person on the planet (who has their sanity) that would say otherwise. Comparing Conley to Jones is ludicrous. One is a Pro Bowl caliber receiver and the other is a rookie who hasn't played a single snap in the NFL. So taking Jones over Conley should go without saying I would think. Not to mention the fact any receiver coming to the Chiefs is at a disadvantage to begin with. Alex Smith will likely never throw for over 3,500 yards in a season. Matt Ryan threw for almost 4,700 yards last year or approximately 1,400 yards more than Alex Smith. That's like adding a whole other Pro Bowl receiver to your squad. Which team you go to does matter

There isn't a person on the planet (who has their sanity) that would say otherwise. Comparing Conley to Jones is ludicrous. One is a Pro Bowl caliber receiver and the other is a rookie who hasn't played a single snap in the NFL. So taking Jones over Conley should go without saying I would think. Not to mention the fact any receiver coming to the Chiefs is at a disadvantage to begin with. Alex Smith will likely never throw for over 3,500 yards in a season. Matt Ryan threw for almost 4,700 yards last year or approximately 1,400 yards more than Alex Smith. That's like adding a whole other Pro Bowl receiver to your squad. Which team you go to does matter

Conley is going to be used to stretch the field, and keep teams honest. The main problem is Alex Smith is not accurate past 30 yards, and is mostly accurate within 10 to 20 yards. He is likely going to be the fourth receiver on the team. He may develop into something else, but for now that is what to expect. The Chiefs have assembled a much better receiving group than given credit. I believe Albert Wilson is similar to Steve Smith, formally of the Panthers. He is close to the same build, and speed. Avant is a very good possession receiver. He still has some speed, but just knows how to get open, and has great hands. 

People are going to be surprised this season. I hope Wilson has gotten stronger in the off season. That will help him more than anything else. He needs to be able to get off the line, and that takes strength, and quickness. 

Conley is going to be used to stretch the field, and keep teams honest. The main problem is Alex Smith is not accurate past 30 yards, and is mostly accurate within 10 to 20 yards. He is likely going to be the fourth receiver on the team. He may develop into something else, but for now that is what to expect. The Chiefs have assembled a much better receiving group than given credit. I believe Albert Wilson is similar to Steve Smith, formally of the Panthers. He is close to the same build, and speed. Avant is a very good possession receiver. He still has some speed, but just knows how to get open, and has great hands. 

People are going to be surprised this season. I hope Wilson has gotten stronger in the off season. That will help him more than anything else. He needs to be able to get off the line, and that takes strength, and quickness. 

There are quarterbacks seen as deep ball throwers that are far less accurate than you credit Alex Smith to be. Smith doesn't prefer to throw 50/50 balls, but that has a lot to do with not working with receivers that can bring down 50/50 balls anywhere approaching fifty percent of the time.

Everyone is dogging the Conley pick because "Smith doesn't throw the deep ball". Smith throws a fine deep ball. Receivers like Ted Ginn or Donnie Avery just had a way of dropping them. The lack of highlights in that regard cannot be pinned exclusively on Smith.

It seems that every year there is a player drafted who everyone seems to get excited about that is the underdog and after watching his highlights and imagining him in Andy Reid's offense he becomes a sudden fan favorite. I think Conley is this years DAT. The Chiefs let Avery go and have Wilson or Conley now to be that guy that stretches the field. I'm excited about this year and really like the Conley pick.

There are quarterbacks seen as deep ball throwers that are far less accurate than you credit Alex Smith to be. Smith doesn't prefer to throw 50/50 balls, but that has a lot to do with not working with receivers that can bring down 50/50 balls anywhere approaching fifty percent of the time.

Everyone is dogging the Conley pick because "Smith doesn't throw the deep ball". Smith throws a fine deep ball. Receivers like Ted Ginn or Donnie Avery just had a way of dropping them. The lack of highlights in that regard cannot be pinned exclusively on Smith.

By observation it was apparent to me Smith was not accurate on his throws down the field, when they came. Maybe, if he gets more opportunities he will hit on a few more. However, some were wildly off target. The one long pass caught by Albert Wilson was not a good pass. If it were, Albert would have scored. He had to wait on it. 

Conley is going to be a rookie. I do not agree with those who say he is a wasted pick because his style does not fit the Chiefs. He has the tools to develop into a good receiver. He has not exhibited the ability to be a consistent go to receiver. That may change. He does his best work on slants, and down the field passes. Alex Smith can connect on those slants. Teams need to keep a man on him on those long passes because it does represent a quick six if he catches the pass. So, he does stretch the field. There is nothing wrong with going long in order to open up the middle. The Chiefs needed Avery to do that last year. 

Stats mean nothing. Conley isn't that good guys. I have watched him for four years. He was never even on the field all the time at UGA. He had a package of plays. He is a long shot. He has potential and is good on special teams. That's why we took him. There is zero expectation for him to come in and do anything else. I guarantee it.

Here's hoping the Chiefs' line is much better than last year and that Smith will have a little more time to look deep.  He's never going to be Lamonica, but we really haven't had a chance to see what he can do behind better line play.

All the "what ifs" and "We shoulda's" and "He coulda's" are not going to matter unless the Chiefs win a Playoff Game or 2 this year.

If Conley is part of winning, great.  If he can't get open, can't block downfield or can't remember the playbook- cut him.

It's time for Championships and winning.  The coaching staff and front office have had 2 full seasons to reshape and improve.

While I am very satisfied with the overall progress, its time to win.

...45 years and counting.

w

Here's hoping the Chiefs' line is much better than last year and that Smith will have a little more time to look deep.  He's never going to be Lamonica, but we really haven't had a chance to see what he can do behind better line play.

That's fair. Smith has made those longer throws, but he needs time to set up, and deliver the pass. He cannot throw a bomb in a phone booth like Roethlisberger. Alex Smith has to use his hip rotation, and legs to wing the ball. The time necessary to get that kind of a pass off unabated has not been there in the past two seasons. 

The team the consistently attacked with deep passes were watching the Super Bowl on the same network as me. More time is crucial even for our shorter passing game. You can't go through your progressions while you are running for your life. I am fine with beating up on Smith, but he is an a over average QB and doesn't make stupid mistakes as often as most.

It's hard to tell if a guy is a fast swimmer while sharks are eating him. But, he will never be a gun slinger. No doubt.

The team the consistently attacked with deep passes were watching the Super Bowl on the same network as me. More time is crucial even for our shorter passing game. You can't go through your progressions while you are running for your life. I am fine with beating up on Smith, but he is an a over average QB and doesn't make stupid mistakes as often as most.

It's hard to tell if a guy is a fast swimmer while sharks are eating him. But, he will never be a gun slinger. No doubt.

Agreed. I was just stating the obvious. I am certainly not on the let's fire Alex Smith bandwagon. I think the Chiefs can win with him. The evidence last year was the final hit that removed Alex from the playing field and lacerated his spleen. The team has not been very nice to Alex Smith. I like some of the moves, but I am not yet sure enough has been done to protect him. 

Yeah looking at those numbers Jones should be wayyyyy quicker. :huh:

The three cone exercise measures agility. It combines quickness with flexibility, balance, and speed. I have to tell you Conley's time is disconcerting. He was slow in the three cone. Now, perhaps he ran a poor time. However, it fits what he is described as a receiver. He has straight line speed, but is not terribly elusive. 

Let me give you an example. Odell Beckham ran a 6.69. Conley is slower than average for wide receivers performing the drill, and almost average for tight ends. Jimmy Graham ran it is 6.9. 

Justin Hardy ran a 6.63 three cone. We are going to regret passing on him. Three cone and route running ability generally go hand in hand imo.

Totally agree. Ability to Seperate is what it boils down to...

Stats mean nothing. Conley isn't that good guys. I have watched him for four years. He was never even on the field all the time at UGA. He had a package of plays. He is a long shot. He has potential and is good on special teams. That's why we took him. There is zero expectation for him to come in and do anything else. I guarantee it.

GA, was run heavy anyhow. The whole SEC for that matter. Give the guy a shot and Reid and the coaching staff may develop him into a nice threat for us. I see Conley stretching the field over the middle & decoying for DAT underneath. 

By observation it was apparent to me Smith was not accurate on his throws down the field, when they came. Maybe, if he gets more opportunities he will hit on a few more. However, some were wildly off target. The one long pass caught by Albert Wilson was not a good pass. If it were, Albert would have scored. He had to wait on it.

go back and look at that play albert was interfered with and smith was smoked while throwing the pass..

forget the receivers..if the line holds up smith will make some people eat their words.

Three cone and route running ability generally go hand in hand imo. 

One of these is a physical ability and one of these is a mental/instinctive ability. A player can have remarkable agility but fail to find the spot in the secondary that makes him an effective target for the quarterback. Elite receivers don't win battles in the secondary on a consistent basis merely by eluding defenders with quick cuts. Less agile receivers with more savvy can absolutely destroy a defender in a way that even the most light-footed wideout could only dream of.

WEAKNESSES Was asked to run a limited, simple variety of routes. Not a threat to beat defenders with speed. Thin through lower body. Lacks quickness and explosiveness out of cuts to create instant separation. Limited play-making ability.

I don't care what a player does at the combine if he hasn't developed the skills that are required in order to compete in the NFL. In the case of receivers, route running is one of them. The ability to leverage their size is another.

Pass. Smith needs football players to throw to, not track stars.

go back and look at that play albert was interfered with and smith was smoked while throwing the pass..

forget the receivers..if the line holds up smith will make some people eat their words.

No one will eat their words, they'll just talk about how everyone else got better. How others raised Smith's numbers. And DAT is not a WR (if the long completions are to him.)

But let's let it happen first before we talk about it. It hasn't happened yet. We start against a good defense in Houston, so not expecting much, plus it would be the first game with this oline.

Archived