Mitch Morse Endorsement

Here's a strong prediction of early success for Mitch Morse

For those with ESPN Insider access, Louis Riddick has an interesting post on his six best matches between draft pick and team that should allow the player to succeed early in his NFL career.

Mitch Morse, the Missouri offensive lineman drafted by the Kansas City Chiefs in the second round, is on Riddick's list.in.gif

The Chiefs' selection of Morse wasn't particularly popular among their fans, many of them thinking that he would have been available later in the draft. For what it's worth, the Chiefs didn't think so. They believe Morse was an incredible bargain in that he was available in the middle of the second round.

Riddick, the pro personnel director for the Philadelphia Eagles during some of the years they were coached by Andy Reid, agrees.

"Morse may not be well-known to the mainstream football fan, but within NFL circles, this was a player who had a character profile and skill set that was highly coveted on Day 2 of the draft," Riddick wrote. "Morse is of the highest quality from a work ethic standpoint, he is extremely football smart and he is a five-position player along the offensive line with what I see as Pro Bowl potential as a center."

That's high praise. Morse is one of two second-round picks on Riddick's list, the others being first-rounders. He might be the starting center for the Chiefs this year but could wind up at guard instead.

"I love this pick for the Chiefs in every respect, and barring anything unforeseen, I just do not see how Morse doesn't turn out to be anything but a huge success for them early on," Riddick wrote.

IMHO, Morse will play RG this year. I could be wrong, but I do not expect the Chiefs to start him at Center his rookie year. I know I am about the only one with this opinion, but he only played 6 games at Center, and never got the shotgun snap down. He may end up at Center, but I doubt it happens this year. My feeling is he will back up Center, but play RG, and stay there. 

IMHO, Morse will play RG this year. I could be wrong, but I do not expect the Chiefs to start him at Center his rookie year. I know I am about the only one with this opinion, but he only played 6 games at Center, and never got the shotgun snap down. He may end up at Center, but I doubt it happens this year. My feeling is he will back up Center, but play RG, and stay there. 

I don't know if you are the only one e...truth is at this point we don't know where he'll start. Anyone says different is lying. I would imagine they will try him at center during camps and see how he does. If he adapts quickly I could see it but if he doesn't then they likely kick him out to guard. As long as he can contribute to the improvement of the line I really don't care.

Also if the ESPN Insider information is correct, it means folks should stop listening to Kiper and McShay.  If this kid was that highly regarded he wouldn't have lasted to pick #80. I trust Dorsey nabbed him in the 2nd because someone else would have later on. I may be naive but I assume the experts know more about what they are doing than I do. 

Today Morse said he was working on snaps. He also said he may be working at RG, and may need to play Center if there is an injury. This is what I thought would happen. Jeff Allen was working on snaps this off season as well. They need someone other than just Kush. If Kush goes down, they need someone to step in. 

Archived