Yes, I know some folks get tired of seeing a thread proposing that the Chiefs add every player that gets cut or every free agent out there. And yes, I know Welker has the concussion issue, and yes, I know he is 107 years old and near the end of his career. So, obviously, we should sign him immediately.

He's just sitting around with no suitors, so he would be really cheap. And since he runs short routes, but gets open, he's perfect for a passer like Alex. If nothing else, he would be like an extra WR coach, a great tutor for Wilson and Conley. If he didn't pan out, no big loss. 

Maclin, Rodgers, Wilson, Conley, Cook, Binns, and Avant are probably the top seven receivers. I'm not arguing Wes Welker wouldn't make the team better. However, wouldn't you want to see how these guys pan out before bringing in an expensive, short timer?

Maclin, Rodgers, Wilson, Conley, Cook, Binns, and Avant are probably the top seven receivers. I'm not arguing Wes Welker wouldn't make the team better. However, wouldn't you want to see how these guys pan out before bringing in an expensive, short timer?

I've been trying to figure out where I stand on this, and I haven't yet come to a decision.

It was interesting to note that despite the acquisition of Jeremy Maclin, an article on nfl.com just ranked the Chiefs' wide receiver corps as the league's weakest group at that position (note that Gregg Rosenthal also acknowledges that he nearly assigned that negative distinction to the Browns, and that he was speaking only of those at the "wide receiver" position, thereby excluding the very effective tight end Travis Kelce).

The bottom line is that Wes Welker is at the point of his career where no team will commit to him for more than one year. He says he wants to play, but he also is accustomed to playing for more money than the Chiefs will shell out for a player that hasn't been producing at the level he did in early 2013. If he's willing to play for $2.75 million in 2015, the Chiefs should jump on him. Smith has an excellent record of not leading receivers into big hits, so perhaps Welker would realize that a 2015 season with the Chiefs might leave him with a little less accumulated damage in what could be his swan song season. There aren't a lot of other destinations to where Welker might go that he could, 1) Play for a potential championship contender; 2) Be a significant contributor; 3) Not be a mismatch for the offensive scheme utilized as late at 2014; 4) Not likely get hurt.

Guest Tomahawkchop

I could see him resigning with either Denver or New England at the 11th hour and not considering the Chiefs at all at this stage in his career.

I'd be shocked if he went back to the Patriots with all of his vocal criticism of Bellichek a couple years back. 

Regardless, Welker is damaged goods and is one hit away from a lifetime of drool, so I'd forgo entertaining him as an option for the Chiefs.  

My opinion is largely based on potential, but I really have a feeling the Chiefs may have a diamond in the rough with Wilson.  Maclin is a major upgrade over Bowe.  Avant is solid... round out the receiving corp with Kelce and DAT and AS has MUCH more to work with in 2015.  Anything from Conley would be icing on the cake.

Guest Tomahawkchop

I could see him resigning with either Denver or New England at the 11th hour and not considering the Chiefs at all at this stage in his career.

I'd be shocked if he went back to the Patriots with all of his vocal criticism of Bellichek a couple years back. 

Regardless, Welker is damaged goods and is one hit away from a lifetime of drool, so I'd forgo entertaining him as an option for the Chiefs.  

My opinion is largely based on potential, but I really have a feeling the Chiefs may have a diamond in the rough with Wilson.  Maclin is a major upgrade over Bowe.  Avant is solid... round out the receiving corp with Kelce and DAT and AS has MUCH more to work with in 2015.  Anything from Conley would be icing on the cake.

Guest Ghost from CCs past

He might be the first player to ever die on the field of a concussion if he plays again.

I'm not trying to blow smoke, but Gregg Rosenthal is an idiot, to put it nicely. What the crap does this, self appointed nerd know about football? Is he ever right about anything? 

The facts are the Chiefs have an improved wide receiver group. It is not the best in the NFL. It is not the worst. Put the clown suit on Rosenthal. He said Cleveland cannot be the worst in the WR category because they are the worst in the QB spot. It is a popular thing to say Maclin will only perform in a certain system. I do not expect Maclin to approach his best numbers in Philly, but he will not unlearn how to play because he is not in the Chip Kelley systems. He did it in college, and he can do it in the pros. He has the physical skills to do well in the WCO of Andy Reid. Wilson tore it up in the final games of the season. He is not a shoe in, but he is more than a fluke. Rodgers had some good numbers with the Colts. He would still be playing for them had he not had the DUI. He was expendable because of his history. Rodgers may end up being the #2 receiver. He has the attributes to be a true #1 WR. Avant was good before he was forgotten in Carolina. Binns has some tremendous straight line speed. He had some decent numbers as a rookie, but Cincy had too much talent, and Miami stole him off their practice team. Binns tore his ACL and MCL, and was never healthy for Miami. Now, he is looking for a chance with the Chiefs. His talent cannot be dismissed easily. Conley and Cook are raw, and as rookies may not produce much this season. 

Absolutely correct. Thanks. I thought the Chiefs would try to convert him to WR. I didn't know they would acknowledge this change this soon. At his size, he definitely would not have lasted as a RB. He has good hands, but needed to play in an NFL offense and practice as a WR. There is a big difference between a RB, who can catch a pass, and a WR running a pattern. People talk about Lockett, but DAT is quicker, and about the same size. Emanuel Sanders, Antonio Brown, and T.Y. Hilton have shown they can be massively productive in a diminutive size. 

The facts are the Chiefs have an improved wide receiver group.

While the Chiefs' squad is better this year than it was in 2014 by virtue of sending away Bowe and bringing in Maclin (who we are assuming will play a complete season even though he has only played all 16 regular season games twice in his six-year career), and while I appreciate the potential of Wilson, the utility of Avant, the upside of Rogers, and the possibility that Conley could be an effective West Coast Offense target, Avant's no comparison to Welker and never was, and after Maclin no one among the rest of this lot is a sure shot at a roster spot in the NFL in 2019.

Who is ready to play in 2015 and make a big impact? Not De'Anthony Thomas, not Chris Conley, not Jason Avant, and probably not Da'Rick Rogers. I'm not going to involve Armon Binns in this discussion when he has a total of 277 total yards and one touchdown in the NFL over the course of a four-year career. I'm hoping that Albert Wilson makes the jump, but given his actual history, I'm not holding my breath. There are a lot of receiver corps in the NFL that would continue to be viable (even though impaired) if they lost their WR1. I can't say with confidence that the Chiefs are one of those if I limit my assessment to actual talent and ability of the squad: I would credit Smith with the ability to turn coal into diamonds with occlusions as long as the offensive line ends up being at least as good as the Chiefs' wide receiver corps is supposed to be.

I think the Chiefs overpaid to get Maclin, but the alternative would have been much worse. Signing a couple of throwaways from other teams, retaining a couple of last year's rookie receivers who have proven very little, and adding a couple of fresh faces through the draft does not make me believe that the Chiefs somehow ended up with the duo of Jordy Nelson and Randall Cobb.

By the way, I'm not crazy about Rosenthal either. However, at least he seems to have come around on the matter of Alex Smith: After years of bashing Smith, he has acknowledged that Smith is an intelligent player whose high value has been significantly obscured due to the pervasive weaknesses found in his supporting cast throughout his ten-year career.

I think we are weak at WR and Welker would be an upgrade.  But I would have to say no.  He would take reps away from the younger guys and probably not be there for us in December.  Plus, I would think he would demand a little bit of money that could be used to pickup up a June 1 cut.

Wow....really on the fence regarding Welker. Not that I think there is even a remote possibility he would come here or that the Chiefs would pursue him.

I like Maclin but agreed we paid too hefty a price to get him. What if his numbers fall off? Say he garners 65 catches for 890 yards and 5 TD's. Was that worth 11 million? I'm not saying that is what will happen. So much rides on what the Oline will do this year. I like Albert but I think what he did last year is a little overblown. In a three game stretch toward the end of last year he caught 12 passes for 209 yards and 0 TDs. A nice little run but hardly qualifies as lighting it up or anything. And can he replicate numbers over the course of an entire season? Connelly will probably need time. Avant won't put up significant numbers. Rogers has freakish athletic ability but is a head case. There are a lot of unknowns that will be answered as the season goes. I hope for a lot of good things but realistically there will also be disappointments.

Cook may be the next Wilson. He has been impressive. Its only OTA, and they're not playing in pads yet, but he is definitely showing signs of being a legit WR in the NFL. He has good height, body control, and jumping ability. I heard he may be hard to keep off the 53 man team. If that is so, the Chiefs may be on the verge of developing quite a group of young receivers. 

Wes may go to NE. He is one concussion away from ending his career. He needs to retire. 

Archived