Kansas City Chiefs: Da'Rick Rogers Can Make a Huge Impact

It is no secret that the receiving corps of the Kansas City Chiefs struggled in 2014. The wide receivers as a whole failed to receive separation from the defense on a consistent basis, forcing quarterback Alex Smith to use other weapons in the offense.

In fact, tight end Travis Kelce led the team in both receptions (67) and receiving yards (862), while sharing the team lead in touchdown receptions (five) with running back Jammal Charles. Kelce and Charles were the most dangerous players in the Chiefs’ passing attack, which should be embarrassing for their wide receivers.

travis-kelce-nfl-kansas-city-chiefs-ariz

This off season, the Chiefs have done a nice job of re-tooling their corps of receivers. Most notably, the Chiefs cut Dwayne Bowe, and replaced him with Jeremy Maclin. The addition of Maclin finally gives the Chiefs a legitimate number one wide receiver on the roster, and a guy who can create consistent separation from the defense.

Adding Maclin will help solidify the entire receiving corps for the Chiefs, as he takes pressure off of the other receivers.

Speaking of the other receivers, as of right now, Albert Wilson would probably start for the Chiefs opposite of Maclin. While undersized (5-foot-9, 200 pounds), Wilson has great strength, speed and quickness that allows him to be an interesting target for Smith in the passing game.

Talented rookie Chris Conley also figures to play a role, while veterans Jason Avant, Junior Hemmingway and Frankie Hammond bring nice depth to the position. Simply put, the Chiefs’ receiving corps should be much more productive in 2015. Going from bad to average would be a major step in the right direction for the Chiefs’ receivers, but there is one player who has the talent to make the jump even bigger.

Da’Rick Rogers is a physically gifted receiver who the Chiefs signed on a reserve-future contract late last season. Rogers has a nice combination of size (6-foot-2, 217 pounds), speed, strength and natural ball skills that gives him great upside as an NFL receiver.

He is a former five-star recruit who starred as a sophomore at the University of Tennessee in 2011. That season, Rogers showed huge upside as both a deep threat and physical possession receiver, hauling in 67 receptions for 1,040 yards and nine touchdowns.

Fansided Daily

FanSided Daily brings you the hottest content on your favorite teams. Sign up today.

Unfortunately, multiple failed drug tests held Rogers back from having a long and successful career at Tennessee. He was suspended and eventually kicked off the team, before landing at Tennessee Tech for the next season.

Rogers had a successful year at Tennessee Tech in 2012, bringing in 61 receptions for 893 yards and 10 touchdowns, including an incredible 18-reception, 303-yard performance early in the season against Southeast Missouri State. Even more importantly, Rogers kept his nose clean off-the-field, passing 10 drug tests while enrolled at Tennessee Tech.

Rogers decided to take his talents to the NFL level after his one season at Tennessee Tech, and he really showed off his impressive skill-set at the NFL scouting combine. He was among the leaders at the WR position in the three-cone drill (6.71 seconds), 20-yard shuttle (4.06 seconds), vertical jump (39.5 inches) and the broad jump (11 feet), while putting up a solid 4.52 second 40-yard dash time.

He showed his obvious NFL skill-set at the combine, but went completely un-drafted because of his past off-field issues. NFL teams obviously felt the risk involved in selecting Rogers was not worth drafting him. He did however, end up signing a free agent contract with the Buffalo Bills.

Rogers did not make the Bills’ roster, but was signed to the Indianapolis Colts’ practice squad soon after. Rogers made his NFL regular season debut on December 1st, 2013, and he ended up having a nice impact for the Colts down the stretch that season. Rogers had 14 receptions for 192 yards and two touchdowns in five games (three starts) for the Colts in the 2013 regular season, and looked like his skills belonged at the NFL level.

da-2-590x900.jpg

Unfortunately, Rogers found himself in trouble once again, as he was arrested on suspicion of driving under the influence. The Colts decided that Rogers was not worth the headache, and they released him on September 29th of last year. He did not play at all last season, and was not signed by an NFL team until the Chiefs took a chance on him on January 7th, 2015.

First and foremost, in order for the Rogers to make an impact for the Chiefs, he simply must stay out of trouble. With such a checkered past, attention will be put on how he acts both on and off the field, and he will undoubtedly receive plenty of drug tests. Any arrests or failed drug tests, and the Chiefs will likely cut Rogers, no matter how much of an impact he is making on the field.

Rogers certainly comes with plenty of risk, but his upside as an NFL receiver is massive. If he can stay out of trouble, and play his way into a role with the Chiefs this season, I think he is the best option to start at the WR position opposite of Maclin. Having Maclin and Rogers on the outside, with Wilson in the slot, and Kelce at tight end makes for an extremely promising corps of receiving options for Smith.

Rogers has a chance to be a significant difference maker for the Chiefs. If he can keep his nose clean, and reach his obvious potential as an NFL receiver, Rogers could help the Chiefs receiving corps go from laughing stock of the league to very good as a whole.

http://nflspinzone.com/2015/06/03/kansas-city-chiefs-darick-rogers-can-make-huge-impact/

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Rogers' short shuttle time is significant because it is very low, and because it was not the typical low time of a Lilliputian. Da'Rick Rogers is a big man. His 40 time is just OK, but explosive quickness is what actually gains separation, and Rogers has that. 

The other guy who impresses me is Kenny Cook. 

GARDNER-WEBB

They worked out on March 6th on FO2 conditions.

NFL teams were mostly there to see WR Kenyattus “Kenny” Cook put up a solid workout.  Cook measured 6033, 208 pounds, and ran a 4.58 and 4.62 in the 40.  He had a 1.59 10-yard, 2.73 20-yard, 32 ½ inch vertical, 10’0 broad jump, 4.53 short shuttle, 7.44 3-cone, and did 12 reps.  He had a 10 3/8 hand, 34 ½ arm, and 81 ¼ wingspan.

http://www.tonysoftli.com/2015/04/26/small-school-pro-day-results/They worked out on March 6th on FO2 conditions.

NFL teams were mostly there to see WR Kenyattus “Kenny” Cook put up a solid workout.  Cook measured 6033, 208 pounds, and ran a 4.58 and 4.62 in the 40.  He had a 1.59 10-yard, 2.73 20-yard, 32 ½ inch vertical, 10’0 broad jump, 4.53 short shuttle, 7.44 3-cone, and did 12 reps.  He had a 10 3/8 hand, 34 ½ arm, and 81 ¼ wingspan.

Cook had a slow start to the season but finished strong and should be a priority free agent due to his size, length, and gigantic hands.

Those are impressive numbers. Cook maybe not as quick, nor is he as fast as others, but he is tall, has a huge reach, and jumps well. In summation, he could be an ideal possession receiver, who can gain an advantage by high pointing passes beyond the reach of the normal defensive back. His standing reach should be 8'5". That means Cook can stand flat footed, and touch the back board of a basketball goal 14 inches above the rim. Cook also has huge hands. To put it in terms we can understand, there were a lot of wide receivers measured in the 2012, 2013, 2014, and 2015 Indy combine. Yet only, one player, DeAndre Smelter, had larger hands. Cook has oven mitts for hands. 

Da'Rick Rogers can reach even higher. Rogers' jump reach from standing start is 22 inches above the rim. in other words, Rogers can stand flat footed, jump, and touch 4 inches above the top of the box printed on the backboard. 

After watching Kenny Cook catch passes, it is clear to me that footballs are less likely to fall through his hands than a hamburger falling through the hands of Jason Whitlock. 

Catching passes. What a novel idea for a wide receiver to try and do. I firmly believe Dexter McCluster sealed his fate when he dropped that wide open pass against Buffalo in 2013. I think Bowe helped the push to get rid of him when he couldn't figure out how to get his feet in bounds in the playoff game.  Although truthfully Bowe's highlight reel of gaffs might be as impressive as his catches.

Regarding Rogers....I would love for him (or anybody for that matter) to step up and make the choice easy as to who the #2 receiver is. When you have a bunch of guys who can't separate themselves from each other for a starting spot it usually means no one is showing anything. They're all about middle of the road (read: mediocre). We shall see.

Rogers has a 2 game suspension coming his way for pleading guilty a few weeks ago to a DUI he got last year.

He won't make the roster. 

Don't you think Dorsey was smart enough to figure that out before they brought him to KC?

They may release him. However, it will not be due to the DUI issue alone. If Rogers shows the talent to be the #2 or #3 receiver, they will not risk releasing him. 

Don't you think Dorsey was smart enough to figure that out before they brought him to KC?

They may release him. However, it will not be due to the DUI issue alone. If Rogers shows the talent to be the #2 or #3 receiver, they will not risk releasing him. 

Maclin, Avant, Wilson, DAT, and Conley are locks

Hemmingway, Brown, Cook, Hammond, Rogers are all competing for the last WR spot. We aren't keeping more than that. This person will need to be a stud special teamer to make the roster. Hemmingway probably has the edge right now because of that.

Rogers has a very low chance to make this roster. He would need to have a hell of a pre-season to do it. He hasn't shown anything special since being drafted so I am not expecting much from him. 

Hemmingway, Brown, Cook, Hammond, Rogers are all competing for the last WR spot. We aren't keeping more than that. This person will need to be a stud special teamer to make the roster. Hemmingway probably has the edge right now because of that.

Rogers has a very low chance to make this roster. He would need to have a hell of a pre-season to do it. He hasn't shown anything special since being drafted so I am not expecting much from him. 

You forgot Binns.

The only "locks" I see are Maclin, Wilson, and DAT.  Conley certainly has an inside track based on his draft position and potential.  If Cook keeps lighting it up when TC starts and/or Rogers plays especially well, Avant could be expendable.  Hammond, Hemmingway, and Binns have an uphill climb to make the final five or six.

The only "locks" I see are Maclin, Wilson, and DAT.  Conley certainly has an inside track based on his draft position and potential.  If Cook keeps lighting it up when TC starts and/or Rogers plays especially well, Avant could be expendable.  Hammond, Hemmingway, and Binns have an uphill climb to make the final five or six.

Even if Conley sucks he is a lock, you don't give up on a 3rd rounder that quick. Avant is a lock IMO because him and Maclin are about the only people who truly know the offense. 

It has been stated numerous times, Andy Reid has 1 of the most complicated and toughest to learn systems in the game. He expects his WR to learn every position. To expect Rogers, Binns, even Conley and Brown, Cook, ect. to come in day 1 and make an impact is ridiculous IMO. Hemmingway and Hammond have a leg up right now because they do know the system.

Maclin, Wilson, Avant, DAT, will be your starters. Conley and whoever else probably don't see the field much in the 1st half of the year (similar to Wilson last year). 

And to go further....we are basically trying to discuss a guy(whoever that may be that makes the roster) that more than likely will be inactive for most of the year. 

Just think about this. Where are the targets going to go?

Maclin/Kelce #1-80-100 catches a piece 

Jamaal #2-50 catches

DAT#3-35-50 catches

Wilson/Avant #4-around 40 catches

Conley and the others will be lucky to probably have 15 receptions for the whole year, and that is probably even being generous.

Those catch numbers maybe a little high since that number is coming in at 360. Alex Smith in the last 2 years has completed 303 passes (2014) and 308 (2015)

Not sure Hemmingway can make the team. They gave him his chances and he dropped the ball. Literally. I think you move on to Binns or Rogers. They likely won't dress for many games so ST aren't a big issue.

It's a shame. I like Hemmingways tools.

He really does have great potential and physical gifts. Remember, he was a defensive back and was made into a receiver because he had such great hands, leaping ability, and size and speed.  He has really had only one season and part of another to try to learn the position. His reps were few.  It is possible that his mind was so filled with things he was trying to remember about routes, hip turning, blocking for the run game, creating separation, communication, etc, that he just didn't have the concentration on catching the ball and dropped some he should have caught.  I have not given up on him.  If his skills can be developed and made automatic for him, and he can concentrate on the ball, he could become a first class receiver.  Most receivers have had four years as receivers in college.  I wouldn't sell him too short yet.

I didn't realize he played DB in college. He really jumped out at me in his first training camp. Big, strong, fast. A "who is that" moment for sure. I hope he turns out. I like Wilson, but just the combination of size and speed is a little mouth watering. Like the 3rd rounder. I really hope he develops.

I would much rather have fast than big. But both is so sweet. I will not miss Slowe Bowe at all.

I wonder how much knowing the system and being solid on special teams will play into the decision of who stays and who goes? For a guy like Hammond he knows the system and he is very solid on special teams...makes a lot of plays. But Hammond really offers nothing special as a wide receiver. A guy like Cooks may flash more potential in practice as a receiver but is new to the system and you have no idea what type of a special teams player he will be. So what has more value to the coaches?

I don't think its a lock Wilson makes it, you have DAT which brings the same as Wilson only faster!!

Wilson is further along in his development as a route runner. There's no way that De'Anthony Thomas supplants him on the depth chart much less being so good that he makes Wilson redundant. There are too many lesser players (or players far less consistent) that will vacate the roster spot needed to retain Wilson.

I wonder how much knowing the system and being solid on special teams will play into the decision of who stays and who goes? For a guy like Hammond he knows the system and he is very solid on special teams...makes a lot of plays. But Hammond really offers nothing special as a wide receiver. A guy like Cooks may flash more potential in practice as a receiver but is new to the system and you have no idea what type of a special teams player he will be. So what has more value to the coaches?

Frankie Hammond never need play another down for this team. He was awful last year, and there's not enough upside to warrant waiting on him any longer. He's on the roster now because in the event of Training Camp injuries to Maclin, Wilson, Avant, Conley, Thomas, and Rogers, the Chiefs wouldn't have to re-sign Hammond, who at least knows the system (although he's never really shown a propensity to execute the system at its most fundamental levels).

I'm glad that we won't be talking about Hammond during the regular season. I hated having to constantly explain how he was always in the wrong place on negative plays.

I am not crazy about making DAT a slot receiver.   They made Dante Hall a slot receiver  12 years ago and I think the results would be comparable.   He's just not big enough to play the position and I think he'll get lost in the crowd going down the field,  speed or no speed.   The slot guy is usually more of a Jason Avant type player and I considered them the possession receiver.  JMHOP

Archived