Kansas City Chiefs: Da'Rick Rogers Can Make a Huge Impact

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Blinding speed and out-of-this-world footwork can gain a lot of separation.  With separation, size starts to become almost irrelevant, especially if you add in good hands.  I think he showed last year that he has good hands.  Whether he can be another Welker depends on his durability in that position. As his knowledge increases, and routes become automatic (which could take another full year), he could very well become a Welker-like slot receiver. It always made me nervous about injury when they put him in on returns on ST.

I like a smaller quicker guy in the slot.

Me too, and DAT's quicks are out of this world.

With him, Maclin in the low 4.4s and Conley in the 4.3s, we would have one of the fastest receiving corps in the league. 

Let it fly Alex!

Me too, and DAT's quicks are out of this world.

With him, Maclin in the low 4.4s and Conley in the 4.3s, we would have one of the fastest receiving corps in the league. 

Let it fly Alex!

Add in Kelce and Jamaal to keep them honest in the short zones, and it could get very interesting.

I heard a lot of criticism from a few years ago that Smith is so concerned with making it our guy or no one that his long passes seemed to be overthrown. Recently, it seems like the successful deeper plays were slightly underthrown where the receiver slowed down a bit. The receivers haven't been consistent, but hopefully now Smith will find a middle ground for those two now that he has receivers fast enough to catch the our guy or no one throws.

Teicher said it was because of the development of Conley. What a joke. Conley was a third round pick, and there was absolutely no way the Chiefs were going to keep Rogers over Conley. Conley is a shoe in. 

Rogers was defeated by the rise of Cook, Hammonds, Brown, Williams, and so on... who will all be fighting for one of the last WR spots on the team. 

IMHO... Maclin, Wilson, Avant, DAT, and Conley are going to make this team. The dance card is almost already filled out. 

Teicher said it was because of the development of Conley. What a joke. Conley was a third round pick, and there was absolutely no way the Chiefs were going to keep Rogers over Conley. Conley is a shoe in.

Rogers was defeated by the rise of Cook, Hammonds, Brown, Williams, and so on... who will all be fighting for one of the last WR spots on the team.

IMHO... Maclin, Wilson, Avant, DAT, and Conley are going to make this team. The dance card is almost already filled out.

Agreed. Teicher might as well have said he was gone because of Smith's growing chemistry with Maclin. It's obvious to me that the last few WRs on our depth chart pushed Rogers off, because potential must have kept him here as long as he was.

This guy has always been an enigma.

He committed to Georgia. On signing day he backed out and went to Tennessee. He was awesome there. He was better than Justin Hunter and Cordelle Patterson who both went in the first round of the draft. He got kicked off the team for drugs and went to a smaller school. He didn't get drafted and has bounced around the NFL for a while. I have been following him for a long time. 

There is nothing more sad than wasted talent. This guy just doesn't have a good head on his shoulders. Why is it that the people who need the most help are often the ones that won't take it? 

Everyone has posted about the obvious regarding Rogers. And it sounds right, but the obvious is that there are too many receivers on the team, the younger guys are cheaper, the team has only $400,000 in cap space, they are in negotiations with Houston who is the bleeping future of the Chiefs, and they need to raise some cap money.  As it is, Alex Smith is going to have to re-structure, and maybe some other guys, if they are going to get Houston signed by next month.  Let's face it. The team is nearly at zero cap space.  When you have guys with rookie contracts, who are good players, why keep Rogers???  This is a no brainer.

Anyway, his name is actually Da'Roy Rogers, and he has already been signed by the Cowboys.

Everyone has posted about the obvious regarding Rogers. And it sounds right, but the obvious is that there are too many receivers on the team, the younger guys are cheaper, the team has only $400,000 in cap space, they are in negotiations with Houston who is the bleeping future of the Chiefs, and they need to raise some cap money.  As it is, Alex Smith is going to have to re-structure, and maybe some other guys, if they are going to get Houston signed by next month.  Let's face it. The team is nearly at zero cap space.  When you have guys with rookie contracts, who are good players, why keep Rogers???  This is a no brainer.

Anyway, his name is actually Da'Roy Rogers, and he has already been signed by the Cowboys.

Ha!  Didn't take you long to pull the Trigger on that one. :P

Everyone has posted about the obvious regarding Rogers. And it sounds right, but the obvious is that there are too many receivers on the team, the younger guys are cheaper, the team has only $400,000 in cap space, they are in negotiations with Houston who is the bleeping future of the Chiefs, and they need to raise some cap money. As it is, Alex Smith is going to have to re-structure, and maybe some other guys, if they are going to get Houston signed by next month. Let's face it. The team is nearly at zero cap space. When you have guys with rookie contracts, who are good players, why keep Rogers??? This is a no brainer.

Technically, they do not have to restructure Alex Smith to sign Houston or Mathis. Houston, as a franchise player, takes a big salary. They could put little salary in the first year and put more in the second season on and have a signing bonus.

But if that doesn't work then – if we're going to keep Smith at least through 2017-18, it wouldn't hurt to restructure him. That last year we could leave with 8 million dead money, why not make that 17 million dead money instead and just keep him?

It's not dead money if he is still starting. I doubt he's going to drop off at that point. His game is mental, not physical, and he's one of the smarter quarterbacks in this league. He should take advantage of the improved roster.

If he drops off before then, you would obviously draft a quarterback and have him mentor him for a year. When I say mentor, I of course, mean he'll be playing in a contract year essentially and trying to do his best and they'll be a person behind him. He's already trying his best, I just mean that he won't be giving up to mentor the next guy, who will be there for cheap.

I'm not recommending restructuring him, I'm just saying that it would be better to restructure him & Houston and sign Mathis than to refuse to restructure and lose either of those guys. And this is only if they couldn't find the money by signing Houston long-term and making the first year salary low.

Archived