The Chiefs Highlights Thread

I looked and looked and looked some more, but I could not find on my mobile the previous highlights thread I had of Jamaal Charles, Alex Smith, Justin Houston, etc., so I'm starting a new one.

Please contribute if you can, it can be any Chiefs player, past or present, rookie or veteran, and please, be highlights, not lowlights, unless it's funny (not sad funny).

Watching that highlight reel. it is hard to believe that is the same Alex Smith who has been quarterbacking for the Chiefs. He didn't seem that hesitant to throw the longer ball as a Niner. 

What stands out to me is that Alex had absolutely total confidence in Vernon Davis. And rightly so. Alex would throw the ball even when Davis was covered, and Davis still came up with the ball. Watching that highlight reel makes me think that Davis is the greatest pass-catching TE ever to play the game.

Watching that highlight reel. it is hard to believe that is the same Alex Smith who has been quarterbacking for the Chiefs. He didn't seem that hesitant to throw the longer ball as a Niner.

What stands out to me is that Alex had absolutely total confidence in Vernon Davis. And rightly so. Alex would throw the ball even when Davis was covered, and Davis still came up with the ball. Watching that highlight reel makes me think that Davis is the greatest pass-catching TE ever to play the game.

Plus, all the highlights were from him after he came back from his throwing arm separated shoulder that he was basically forced to play with under his first coach. If he hadn't injured his shoulder or hadn't been forced to play on the injured shoulder, he would have stronger arm strength and better fundamentals.

In 2012 off-season, Smith worked with a throwing expert that Drew Brees had recommended. The expert said that his fundamentals were sound before the injury, but after the injury, he compensated in a negative way to the fundamentals. The early part of that video, from 2009 to 2012, were with those compensated fundamentals.

About the throwing arm injury, Smith told Mike Nolan the head coach, that he wasn't helping the team by playing with it; Nolan told the locker room that Smith was blaming his play on the injury and was a coward. The locker room categorized him as the lion. And this was with Smith playing and throwing with a grade 3 shoulder injury. He wasn't taking games off, as a "coward."

He later had to have surgery and that surgery was botched. When competing for the job the next off-season, a loose wire had come out in his shoulder and he had been competing with it. That tore more tissue and he had to miss the whole season following. Nolan, of course, announced that the other QB won the competition, which he either didn't (Smith's injury) or the surgery's error made it more difficult to compete with.

Who knows where his comfort level would be if not for that injury not only with throwing deep or forceful throws (he'd have a stronger arm with a better history) but also his job security if he started to lose games or turn the ball over a bunch. He was the highest rated quarterback at the time of his concussion and he was replaced on a winning team. I'm not saying that he has a bad psyche, as he is one of the toughest mentally, I'm just saying that it doesn't make sense for him to take risks if he is winning. As you saw after the second surgery, his arm strength is still strong enough to be adequate.

Sorry for the novel, I tend to talk a lot with speech recognition.

I think people overrate the long ball. Why force Alex to throw it deep? It's like trying to fit a round peg in a square hole. It's not something we have to do to be successful. I know throwing bombs are a fan favorite but, we really don't need it in this offense. We have several play makers who can turn a slant into an 80 yard TD. The best thing we ever did was let Bowe go. He was holding us back.

• 2 weeks later...

Looking over some of those highlights.....on a lot of those throws there is no hesitation whatsoever. Smith steps back...knows where the ball is going, delivers and the receiver goes and gets it. So that's what an "air attack" looks like. We don't need the long ball to win but it would sure be nice to have a few in the tool belt to open things up now and then.

• 1 month later...

Archived