The Pass-Catcher Thread

Can someone please tell me what is the big deal with no receiving TDs by a wr?

They were the 16th ranked scoring offense and 8 points per game behind the #1 scoring offense.

If anything they should be praising a team that was basically 1 game out of the playoffs and being the 16th ranked scoring offense without a wr TD.

Maybe it's a math problem. Peyton Manning throws 2 TDs to D. Thomas is it >= J Charles rushing for 2 TD + T Kelcy catches a TD.

They were the 16th ranked scoring offense and 8 points per game behind the #1 scoring offense.

If anything they should be praising a team that was basically 1 game out of the playoffs and being the 16th ranked scoring offense without a wr TD.

Maybe it's a math problem. Peyton Manning throws 2 TDs to D. Thomas is it >= J Charles rushing for 2 TD + T Kelcy catches a TD.

Yeah...I remember someone asked Andy Reid a while back how he felt about the Chiefs WR group not catching a single touchdown during the season. Andy didn't miss a beat. He said, "I'd be a lot more concerned if they weren't scoring touchdowns"...period. Folks know AS didn't throw a TD pass to a single WR (not all his fault by the way) but folks forget he did throw for 18 TD passes. That is a pretty amazing statistic in light of the other one. Yet nobody seems to mention that. With the improvements at the WR position and hopefully a better Oline...I could see Smith throwing 25-27 TD's this year. And still only have a small handful of INT's. 

Not getting a passing touchdown to a wide receiver is definitely not a good thing. However, is it emblematic of a poor offense? Alex Smith threw a for 217.7 yards per game last year, which was second most in his career. So, in terms of passing yards per game, it was not a down year for Alex Smith. Alex was also had 18 touchdowns, which is a tie for second most touchdowns in his career. Touchdowns were not down this year for Smith. What this is an indication of is rather that maybe the wide receivers were not as good or not opportunistic with their receptions. Some of this came down to bad luck. There were opportunities for receivers to score, but it never happened. 

The emphasis for Alex Smith, this year, will be to take bigger chances by going long. That is all good as long as he can be protected, and his turnover rate remains low. Reports indicate D'Anthony Thomas has made great strides at WR. Also, when asked who is toughest to cover, Philip Gaines referred to Wilson. That would indicate the observations I have made in the past, and what others have said this year, in that Albert Wilson was not just a fluke. I believe he will be a bigger part of this offense this year. I also believe had he been a bigger part of the offense last year, the Chiefs might have had a touchdown catch by a receiver. Maclin appears to be an improvement over Bowe. Avant has more time with Smith, so that connection should get better. I doubt there will be a repeat of what happened last season. 

Not getting a passing touchdown to a wide receiver is definitely not a good thing. However, is it emblematic of a poor offense? Alex Smith threw a for 217.7 yards per game last year, which was second most in his career. So, in terms of passing yards per game, it was not a down year for Alex Smith. Alex was also had 18 touchdowns, which is a tie for second most touchdowns in his career. Touchdowns were not down this year for Smith. What this is an indication of is rather that maybe the wide receivers were not as good or not opportunistic with their receptions. Some of this came down to bad luck. There were opportunities for receivers to score, but it never happened. 

The emphasis for Alex Smith, this year, will be to take bigger chances by going long. That is all good as long as he can be protected, and his turnover rate remains low. Reports indicate D'Anthony Thomas has made great strides at WR. Also, when asked who is toughest to cover, Philip Gaines referred to Wilson. That would indicate the observations I have made in the past, and what others have said this year, in that Albert Wilson was not just a fluke. I believe he will be a bigger part of this offense this year. I also believe had he been a bigger part of the offense last year, the Chiefs might have had a touchdown catch by a receiver. Maclin appears to be an improvement over Bowe. Avant has more time with Smith, so that connection should get better. I doubt there will be a repeat of what happened last season. 

I can't see any way that the Chiefs wide outs don't catch some TD's. Remember when Jenkins had a wide open path down the sideline for a TD and for some unknown reason he steps out of bounds? Who does that? It's what separates the bush league players from the real pros. The little things. Is there any way Bowe could have gotten both feet down in the playoff game to give his team a chance at a game winning field goal? I think he COULD have done it...but he didn't. It truly is a game of inches sometimes. It seems Chiefs receivers were always falling on the wrong side of that equation...and that is why they are gone.

I can't see any way that the Chiefs wide outs don't catch some TD's. Remember when Jenkins had a wide open path down the sideline for a TD and for some unknown reason he steps out of bounds? Who does that? It's what separates the bush league players from the real pros. The little things. Is there any way Bowe could have gotten both feet down in the playoff game to give his team a chance at a game winning field goal? I think he COULD have done it...but he didn't. It truly is a game of inches sometimes. It seems Chiefs receivers were always falling on the wrong side of that equation...and that is why they are gone.

Not only were they falling on the wrong side of that equation, they were falling on their ass. I got so frustrated with how Avery would always fall to the ground on every catch it seemed and it didn't look like all the throws were off or anything. Bowe would go down to avoid a hit, which is better than getting knocked out of the game, but still lost yards. And then we get to all the drops. The game that stood out to me was in 2013 in an effort to come back against Denver, Smith would throw deep often and the balls were just dropped. And not just by Hemingway or McCluster.

Yeah...I remember someone asked Andy Reid a while back how he felt about the Chiefs WR group not catching a single touchdown during the season. Andy didn't miss a beat. He said, "I'd be a lot more concerned if they weren't scoring touchdowns"...period. Folks know AS didn't throw a TD pass to a single WR (not all his fault by the way) but folks forget he did throw for 18 TD passes. That is a pretty amazing statistic in light of the other one. Yet nobody seems to mention that. With the improvements at the WR position and hopefully a better Oline...I could see Smith throwing 25-27 TD's this year. And still only have a small handful of INT's.

You hit the nail on the head. 3-1 TDs over picks.

I've been watching a whole lot of Chiefs games this weekend just because. I gotta tell ya...the dropped passes make you ill to your stomach. Every team has them but for some reason they just look like a giant festering zit when Chiefs receivers do it.

I've been watching a whole lot of Chiefs games this weekend just because. I gotta tell ya...the dropped passes make you ill to your stomach. Every team has them but for some reason they just look like a giant festering zit when Chiefs receivers do it.

Pro Football Focus ‏@PFF 2h 2 hours ago

In 2014, Colin Kaepernick and Alex Smith were tied for the highest % of passes dropped by targets with 7.1%.

I'm with you man. The only stat that matters is wins. 

Today, I heard someone trying to figure out what teams that have the best offenses in the AFC. For every other team, they cited how many points the offense scored, what players they had, and sometimes how many yards. For us, the only thing he mentioned was the WR TD stat. I mean, seriously, couldn't they have at least looked up the points per game? The running game? The tight ends?

The reason the talking heads mention the WR touchdowns is they are either stupid, lazy, or both. It is hard to know all things about 32 teams in the league, especially when that is your job. However, we must give them a break, because they belong to the same circle jerk club, and who could blame them for getting it wrong when they merely copy each other's homework. 

My projections for 2015, baring injury

#1 receiver - Maclin - 1000 yards

#2 receiver - Kelce - 900 yards

#3 receiver - Wilson - 450 yards

#4 receiver - DAT - 425 yards

#5 receiver - Charles - 400 yards

#6 receiver - Conley - 325 yards

#7 receiver - Avant - 150 yards

#8 receiver - Cook - 120 yards

#9 receiver - Harris - 80 yards

#10 receiver - Shag - 70 yards

#11 receiver - Sherman - 60 yards

#12 receiver - West - 50 yards

#13 receiver - Davis - 50 yards

#14 receiver - Gray - 40 yards

Alex Smith will throw for 4200 yards and 24 touchdowns, but only if the Chiefs' offensive line can protect him, and everyone stays reasonably healthy.

Break out year. 

The reason the talking heads mention the WR touchdowns is they are either stupid, lazy, or both. It is hard to know all things about 32 teams in the league, especially when that is your job. However, we must give them a break, because they belong to the same circle jerk club, and who could blame them for getting it wrong when they merely copy each other's homework.

My projections for 2015, baring injury

#1 receiver - Maclin - 1000 yards

#2 receiver - Kelce - 900 yards

#3 receiver - Wilson - 450 yards

#4 receiver - DAT - 425 yards

#5 receiver - Charles - 400 yards

#6 receiver - Conley - 325 yards

#7 receiver - Avant - 150 yards

#8 receiver - Cook - 120 yards

#9 receiver - Harris - 80 yards

#10 receiver - Shag - 70 yards

#11 receiver - Sherman - 60 yards

#12 receiver - West - 50 yards

#13 receiver - Davis - 50 yards

#14 receiver - Gray - 40 yards

Alex Smith will throw for 4200 yards and 24 touchdowns, but only if the Chiefs' offensive line can protect him, and everyone stays reasonably healthy.

Break out year.

If Maclin and Kelce both get 950 yards, you know that they'll mention about not having 1000 yard receiver. Heck, even if Kelce gets 1000 and Macklin gets 900 it will be an "issue."

If Maclin and Kelce both get 950 yards, you know that they'll mention about not having 1000 yard receiver. Heck, even if Kelce gets 1000 and Macklin gets 900 it will be an "issue."

I believe the reason KC fans are so vocal is because they know their only way to hear about their team is if they bang the gong. This has been true of the Chiefs, and recently the Royals' fans are getting into the act. I believe that is why Royal fans are stuffing the ballot box. If you look at the Sporting News, ESPN, NFL.com, or any other national sports media outlet, you will notice both the Chiefs and the Royals get less print than other teams, even when they have lead the league. If they are mentioned, it is almost always as if their success is a fluke. This is not to complain in order to exact a different outcome. We all know the national media looks at viewership, and Kansas City is flyover territory. My guess is most of their writers could not tell you where KC was on a map, and definitely would not place them in Missouri. 

The fans know this slight, and understand there is no way to make things different. Therefore, they promote their team a little more expressively due to the slight. It is synonymous with their frustrations of the overall NYC/Washington/LA/Chicago media equating Kansas Citians as country bumpkin yokos, who lack sophistication, if not overall education. 

When I lived in Kansas City, I experienced this lack of respect personally one day as a group of HUD managers from DC visited. They remarked how astonished they were to find most people lived in single family homes that were not substandard. One bureaucrat was brazen enough to ask me where the Indian reservations were located. (I kid you not). Yet these are the sophisticates. 

The fans will stock the ballet boxes, fill the seats, scream their heads off, and make their own news. For the entrenched fan with years of experience, there is no need for acceptance from others. It is us against them, and all that matters is we have the most fun. 

Respect is not something that we can expect others to grant. Therefore, we respect ourselves, and don't give a darn about what anyone else thinks. Its the KC way. 

• 2 months later...

Our receiving corps as a whole needs to be on point and Alex needs to deliver. Both sides will need to step up to the plate.

By the way...did anyone watch the Titans-Rams preseason game? Dexter McCluster dropped a wide open pass in the endzone from Mariota. I like Dex but am glad he isn't dropping passes for us anymore.

Archived