So Far the Chiefs Won the Alex Smith Trade

What the heck is going on in San Francisco? If you haven't heard their starting Right Tackle, Anthony Davis, just "retired"(its in quotes because he's just "quitting for a year or so" lol) for health reasons. That is I think the 7th or 8th Starter to leave the organization this year. With a lackluster replacement Head Coach in place it doesn't seem like the 9ers will overcome this. I personally think they're prime candidates for the 1st overall pick, and at the very least are destined for a top 10 pick this year dealing with that division and a tough schedule.

Here's a timeline of events since Alex Smith left. 2013 saw a successful season in San Fran, but many reports of dysfunction began surfacing. Lots of bad things said about Harbaugh, players not liking him and his "Tough" style, and clashes with Baalke(9ers GM) to the point where I don't think they were on speaking terms anymore. Many rumors began in the 2014 offseason, the Browns wanted to trade for him, and many college teams were calling to bring their programs back into prominence. Nothing came to fruition and the 2014 season began.

Where there is smoke, there is usually fire and 2014 was their worst year under Harbaugh. Once upon a time they were seen as the cream of the crop, a well-run organization filled with Superb Owl ambitions. Dysfunction instead reigned supreme. They beat us, but had a worse overall record. Things seemed to get worse and worse as the season went on. Ownership was apologizing for losses, Harbaugh's emotional schtick seemed to rub people the wrong way, players were dropping like flies and it culminated in a below-average season and no playoffs. Ownership sided with Baalke, and Harbaugh got the boot, heading for greener pasture with his alma mater, Michigan.

Now what does this have to do with Smith? I think that he may have been the glue that held that franchise together. A steady presence for years that has provided stability for us while creating dysfunction in his wake. Now I could look at this the old-fashioned way, grade the picks used by San Fran, compare and contrast. In fact lets do that, our picks netted them: Tank Carradine, Vance McDonald, Carlos Hyde & Chris Borland. They got a good return out of Smith, decent list of guys, but only one has had a NFL impact and Borland is another player that retired for them this year. Real impact I guess won't be felt for a few more years, so maybe its unfair to judge them right now. I actually really liked Carradine during the draft process. However, a QB's impact is greater then a few pieces added as we should all know too well.

I think Alex was the captain of that ship, he had been through the worst and the best of times with that franchise. You can argue his talent level all day, personally I think he's a middle-of-the-pack QB, but since he's left things haven't gotten better like it was promised. Kapernickle has not seen any progress, and I don't think he ever will. Those draft picks certainly didn't have an immediate impact to save them and the situation has slowly been deteriorating. I hypothesize that he was a steady presence for them and as soon as he showed improvement he got canned. Kap meanwhile has seemingly plateued, nothing more then a running threat who is more worried about fine-tuning his body then working on his quarter backing skills.

Maybe the situation is the same whether Alex stays there or not, but I remember at one point Smith and Harbaugh were the two best friends that anybody could have. Peanut Butter and Chocolate. In fact Smith caddied for his coach during the offseason, Joel even posted a picture of them together for a "Caption This"(Will those ever return?). Now look at the two same franchises now, and you'll see where we have cohesion, the 9ers seem to be stricken with strife. A promising future for our team, and a seemingly not so bright one if you're a 9er fan. Seems like Alex was the first domino to fall, and now the rest are falling without him. I think we got what we wanted out of the trade, and San Francisco is lagging behind. Crazy how things turn out a few years later, things may still be different a few years from today.

Of course maybe I don't know what I'm talking about, maybe its just the new Stadium curse? Perhaps these losses are meaningless, and management has done an excellent job with talent acquisitions that we won't even notice players are gone. I could just be overstating the Alex Smith trade, and its all Harbaugh/Baalke's fault. What do you think AP? I know there hasn't been an Alex Smith thread in while, and its about that time again.

http://www.arrowheadpride.com/2015/6/5/8739767/so-far-the-chiefs-won-the-alex-smith-trade

How could it ever sit well with the players, particularly veterans, when a player that wins the NFC Offensive Player of the Week Award in week eight on a nearly all-time record-setting performance is concussed in the week ten contest following a week nine bye, is still stuck in the concussion protocol in week eleven, continues to sit in week twelve after being cleared of the concussion, and never sees another start?

With the trade of Andy Lee, the 49ers' longest-tenured player is now the disgruntled Vernon Davis, who was drafted in 2006. After him comes Joe Staley, who was drafted in 2007 toward the end of the first round (the retired Patrick Willis was drafted eleventh in that same class). The third-longest tenured player was drafted in 2010: All-pro Inside Linebacker NaVorro Bowman, who hasn't played a down since a devastating knee injury suffered in the 49ers' 2013 NFC Conference Championship loss. This "team" is nothing like the team that existed in 2012, which had thirty players that had been drafted by the 49ers (with fourteen of those having been on the roster for four or more seasons). Jim Harbaugh deserved this result, but he is gone, and the team that had no say in the Kaepernick promotion is the team left to pick up the pieces.

There's hardly an argument left to be made for Kaepernick's superiority over Smith: He's explosive but inconsistent, athletic but not instinctive, and a far better soldier than a field general. He's not what the 49ers need him to be. He's not the sort of player that will be a central part of any team's Super Bowl run. 2012 was not evidence of Kaepernick's ability as a quarterback, but rather evidence of a staff's ability to conceal the weaknesses of a quarterback within a highly talented roster that was physically and mentally a match for any team in the league. Then you have Smith, capable of the big play but consistently able to lead the team when the big play isn't there, athletic and instinctive, and someone who plays to whatever strengths the team around him provides.

Until 2015, Kaepernick always played for a great team, whereas most of Smith's experience has been with a grossly incomplete offensive complement. Expectations in San Francisco are at the lowest they have been in over a decade. Expectations in Kansas City are justifiably high. The quarterback is a key link to those expectations.

There is no question, but that San Francisco got the short end of the trade. However, what matters most to me is not whether the Chiefs got one over on the 49ers, but whether the Chiefs are going to progress to build a sustaining championship level team. Alex Smith is a mid level quarterback, but is that bad? The Carolina Panthers just gave $118.466 Million to guide their team, and his statistics were not as good as Alex Smith's stats last season. 

Alex has not put up flashy stats, but he has been consistent. The argument he does not have a strong enough arm is not valid. He has not been accurate on his longer passes for the Chiefs, mostly overthrowing receivers. It is hard to say this is all on Alex. He has not had the best receivers, and long throws require players be where the play designs them to be. So, it could be an issue with route running. However, what cannot be argued against is Smith does not turn the ball over much, and is able to keep drives going with his legs. 

Paying twice as much for a quarterback, who has worse stats takes money from other players, and weakens the overall depth of a team. The Chiefs paid a lot of money for Alex Smith, but less than others. In a period where the cap amounts allowed hold so much consequence on building a team, having a good QB at a reasonable price may be the new formula in building a champion. 

For this upcoming season, these are the QBs I would take ahead of Smith.

Brees

Brady

Luck

Rogers

Manning

Roth

I guess that makes Smith pretty highly ranked on my scale.

Wilson and Newton would be a decent fit with our line, but I think our line will improve this year.

Stafford and Tannehill had great seasons.  They were last years Nick Foles, but I don't think I trust them to repeat.

Romo, Culter, Ryan, Flacco and Rivers are great at winging it around, but I think they would a have 27 INTs and 3 concussions if they started 16 games for the Chiefs next year.  Also, they are not nearly the leader Smith is.  Cutler and Rivers are complete ass clowns.  Flacco and Ryan seem like pretty solid leaders, but I would still take Smith.

So, no one is bitching about the two #2's anymore?

w

Of course, they think he could have come cheaper, as they believe the Niners would have cut him, but there were reportedly other offers out there involving a second and another pick (Buffalo was rumored to have offered a second and 3-5th and I forgot the other, I think, Oakland just offered a 2nd and filler, like a seventh; Miami would have been interested if cut and Seattle/Arizona had talks but nothing came of it (before draft of Wilson)). I have no sources (except Arians, before Palmer was there), this is just what I heard at the time, could be inaccurate (SF has an interest in leaking interest). SF could have kept him to push Kaepernick, as Kaepernick plus Smith's contract was reasonable, but that was impractical. He was going to be traded, not released, it was just a question of where and how much. I'm glad for him he came to a good potential team.

People who don't think Smith is right should be more mad about the extension than the trade, as the trade got us a winning culture, at least. (Yes, Cassell would have done better with Reid than Crennel, but I think Smith is better, less garbage time stats).

Ha! Very true. He just has no touch on his passes. Fast ball guy and talented runner. I kind of blame last year on the coaching staff. RG3 and Kap are not pocket passers. Running QBs get killed. It's a good thing Wilson is so smart or he would get killed. If you are going with an option QB, than do it and pray he doesn't get crushed. Otherwise, just get a QB and don't jack around with the Tebow's of the world.

Ha! Very true. He just has no touch on his passes. Fast ball guy and talented runner. I kind of blame last year on the coaching staff. RG3 and Kap are not pocket passers. Running QBs get killed. It's a good thing Wilson is so smart or he would get killed. If you are going with an option QB, than do it and pray he doesn't get crushed. Otherwise, just get a QB and don't jack around with the Tebow's of the world.

One of the biggest mistakes football fans make is to lump Wilson in with Kaepernick and Griffin. They are all mobile quarterbacks, and all very effective when they can extend a play long enough to find an open receiver. Unlike the others, though, Wilson is effective inside the pocket.

He's overrated, constantly put into Top Ten Quarterback lists when he actually hasn't been a key part of most of the Seahawks' wins during the past three seasons. Nevertheless, it should be noted that if Wilson weren't considered "short" for the quarterback position, his overall ability as a quarterback as demonstrated in the NCAA would have kept him in consideration for a first-round selection in 2012, possibly early in that first round.

Russell Wilson is a true quarterback, and closer to a Steve Young than either Kaepernick or Griffin will ever be.

my poor daughter Ashley...

a lifelong 49er fan that loved alex smith...traveled to san fran to watch him play the giants...

shes still a 49er fan..loyal tough kid...but the chiefs are definitely her second favorite...and she hates pulling for kapernick...breaks a fathers heart ya know...

my poor daughter Ashley...

a lifelong 49er fan that loved alex smith...traveled to san fran to watch him play the giants...

shes still a 49er fan..loyal tough kid...but the chiefs are definitely her second favorite...and she hates pulling for kapernick...breaks a fathers heart ya know...

Just ask her to choose between the Light Side and the Dark Side.

Of course, with Harbaugh out of San Francisco, it left a vacuum with only a Sith protégé in Kaepernick to keep up San Francisco's recent Dark Side tradition. After weeks of retirement announcements and free agency defections, San Francisco has been less about the balance between Good and Evil and more analogous to the catastrophic results of the collision of Matter with Anti-Matter. If things continue as they have, San Francisco could start the season with a roster of none.

Archived