Will Berry play this year?

Here is a good story to read about and compare Berry's situation too.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000496148/article/texans-ol-david-quessenberry-eyes-return-from-cancer

Summary,

David Quessenberry and OL with the Texans was diagnosed with non-hodgkin lymphoma on June 10th of 2014. 

He has not been cleared for football activities yet, but has been working out and is close to his playing weight. 

He finished his treatments in February of this year. 

To compare with Berry

Berry was diagnosed in late November/early December of 2014

He finished his treatments in April of this year. 

I don't see Berry seeing the field this year. I know a lot of fans are still holding out hope. But I for one don't want to see Berry back on the field until he is 100% back to his old self. Take the year off and come back even stronger next year. (hoping we still re-sign him)

***SIDE NOTE- BERRY HAD HODGKIN LYMPHOMA***

I think he will play this year. He already knows his future as he has been to the facility. I think he's waiting to make it a big surprise at training camp. If he wasn't playing this year, there probably would have been a press conference after he met with Chiefs doctors. 

I think he will play this year. He already knows his future as he has been to the facility. I think he's waiting to make it a big surprise at training camp. If he wasn't playing this year, there probably would have been a press conference after he met with Chiefs doctors. 

He just finished Chemo in April. His immune system will need time to re-build itself. I think best case scenario is if we see him start out on IR-Designated to Return. 

If he was cleared for football activities we would of heard about it by now. 

The odds are against him.  Definitely not this year. I have my doubts he will ever be what he was and, as a result, may not want to play again.  He has a nice life ahead of him and doesn't need to be putting his chemotherapy-treated body through that kind of grind. Just being realistic.  But for fans, and Chiefs fans in particular, hope springs eternal.

I don't know. I presume the odds are against him playing this year. He is an overachiever. I would never bet against him.

The interesting thing will be what the Chiefs will do with him in regards to his impending contract negotiations. Berry is scheduled to be a free agent in 2016. He is scheduled to be paid $5.155 M this season. It does not make sense to pay him if they plan on not signing him next season. However, the Chiefs would face some condemnation if they let him go after all the talk of being on his side in his battle against cancer. 

The good news is Berry has been treated successfully, and is cancer free. I hope he can return to play for the Chiefs. This just goes to show we never know when things can be taken away. Life, itself is a gift. We need to embrace it while it is here. 

Chemotherapy is very, very tough.  These chemicals kill cells.  They are designed to kill the Hodgkin's cells with less lethal effects on other cells, but it is not entirely selective.  It is hard for me to imagine that he could play pro ball again.  All of his tissues will be a little weaker than before, a little more likely to rip or pop or pull. Stamina will suffer.  If he plays again, he will find this out.  So will everyone else who is posting about this.

The future is bright, though.  Immunotherapies being developed will be highly selective.

I injury settlement is my guess. Either way, I don't think he plays this year or is resigned next year.

If he had not gotten sick, I think he would have been released this year. He doesn't fit what we do. He will probably play again somewhere.

Archived