Evan Mathis Released By the Eagles

Evan Mathis has been highly effective as the Left Guard for the Philadelphia Eagles, dating back to Andy Reid's days there. The Chiefs have addressed the Left Guard position by means of the Ben Grubbs trade, and the subsequent extension indicated the Chiefs' confidence in Grubbs usefulness at the position.

Nevertheless, there are some questions about the Right Guard position. Zach Fulton manned the position last year, but will be battling with Mitch Morse and Paul Fanaika. The Chiefs don't have a ton of cap room, and as a result may not be able to attract Mathis even if Mathis would likely be a massive upgrade from any of the foregoing. In another article, it is suggested that Mathis could go to the Raiders (if the motivation is money), to the Seahawks (if the motivation is a Super Bowl Ring), to the Broncos (if the motivation is to extend his career), or to the Giants (if the motivation is to stick it to the Eagles).

Do you think the Chiefs have done enough for their offensive line through free agency, trading, and the draft, or do you think that any move that further solidifies what was a fragile position group in 2014 is one that needs to be aggressively pursued?

Im still not thrilled with this line. It was so awful last year and really we added a left guard but lost a great center.

Im not sure its improved at all. Bring in everyone you can. Most of the guys that played last year need to go to Denver. Go stink up the Broncos. Unfortunately I bet he signs in Denver.

Im still not thrilled with this line. It was so awful last year and really we added a left guard but lost a great center.

Im not sure its improved at all. Bring in everyone you can. Most of the guys that played last year need to go to Denver. Go stink up the Broncos. Unfortunately I bet he signs in Denver.

agreed

He got released because they were fighting about money. He's not coming here to play for less. He wants more than grubbs and grubbs is 3 years younger. Don't see it happening.

While I'm sure that the Eagles wanted Mathis to sign a team-friendly restructure, I'm not sure Mathis wanted to stay in Philadelphia: Too many players that have been there for the Chip Kelly years have wanted out. The Chip Kelly style itself is not player-friendly, and many veterans see the approach as impersonal, and even demeaning. It emphasizes athleticism above coordination. While Mathis won't play on the cheap, it may be that money has not been the most important thing to Mathis.

While I'm sure that the Eagles wanted Mathis to sign a team-friendly restructure, I'm not sure Mathis wanted to stay in Philadelphia: Too many players that have been there for the Chip Kelly years have wanted out. The Chip Kelly style itself is not player-friendly, and many veterans see the approach as impersonal, and even demeaning. It emphasizes athleticism above coordination. While Mathis won't play on the cheap, it may be that money has not been the most important thing to Mathis.

Could be. The iggles offered him a million dollar raise though and he turned it down.

For what it's worth, pff has him as the top rated guard the last 3 years. Not sure I'd agree with that but he is good.

Regardless, we have 400k in cap space, so without signing Houston or cutting someone really good, there's no room to add mathis.

Why not draft Collins? Oh that's right we passed and he went to Dallas. Well at least we have our guys back from last year. Oh thats right they stink. Well maybe Rogers can clean up his act, character issues, and play o-line.

Evan Mathis is definitely on the Chiefs' radar. Apparently, they are one of four teams trying to work out a deal. It looks as if he wants a three year deal. 

If the Chiefs prevail, it will be Fisher, Grubbs, Kush, Mathis, and Stephenson. LDT, Morse, Fanika, and Sherrod or Allen may end up being the reserves. 

Releasing Jeff Allen saves the team $480K

Evan Mathis is definitely on the Chiefs' radar. Apparently, they are one of four teams trying to work out a deal. It looks as if he wants a three year deal. 

If the Chiefs prevail, it will be Fisher, Grubbs, Kush, Mathis, and Stephenson. LDT, Morse, Fanika, and Sherrod or Allen may end up being the reserves. 

Releasing Jeff Allen saves the team $480K

480K? We should keep him as insurance then, even if third on the depth chart. Just the 53 would be the issue.

I started to write about how a one-year player like Allen shouldn't be kept on the roster instead of any of Morse, Fanaika, Sherrod, or Fulton, but then I realized that they're pretty much all interior linemen (except for Sherrod, whose issue is health). Allen's played multiple positions on the offensive line, and therefore I need to apply the same logic to him that I've applied to Morse when it comes to the value of versatility. Allen also has a good number of NFL starts.

If Mathis is so great why hasn't ge been swept up yet? Other players of lesser talent have been swept up quicker. I think there is more to his departure from iggleland then we know about.

This is a longshot, but maybe he wants to come here but we have to hammer out the details with Houston's contract? Obviously, he's not going to turn down money to come here, but maybe we're willing to match but we just need to get Houston done to free up the money. I don't think he'll wait long so we'll know one way or another, at least by July 15 but much sooner in my opinion.

Archived