The Hurry Up Offense

I would like to see KC run this during the first half from time to time. Hard to execute something if you only use it when your behind late in games. We have the players that can excel. Could also put Chase in a series at QB from time to time.

I would like to see KC run this during the first half from time to time. Hard to execute something if you only use it when your behind late in games. We have the players that can excel. Could also put Chase in a series at QB from time to time.

No, no, no, no. Hurry up is great, but NO QB CHANGEUP, especially when they don't have a different skillset. It messes up the QB's rhythm and messes with the offense. When they did it in SF, Smith said he liked where it helped the team but he basically didn't like getting taken out for first and second down and coming in on 3rd and 19. But Chase doesn't offer the athleticism despite not being too slow. He doesn't have a stronger arm nor is a gunslinger per se.

And we wouldn't want Murray coming in where he's pressing due to either desperation (only chance to make an impression) or inexperience (doesn't see the coverage, speed well) or the combination of the two. If Reid felt Murray could both make and impression, know the coverages like a vet, and had a distinct skillset than Smith, he might as well just switch to him. Add on the effect switching from play to play to Murray on the offense, on Smith, and media circus (relatively speaking, all QB changes, even limited, bring unwanted attention - only do if you have a big advantage).

Could also put Chase in a series at QB from time to time.

I'm a big fan of having backups ice games that are well in hand, especially where the backup has the opportunity to add value to his contract (hard to do when Chase Daniel has only one year left on his contract). I'm never a fan of switching out quarterbacks at seemingly random moments as it has never proven to actually be beneficial to an offense's execution. One of two things has to happen to make that work well: Extra first-team reps for the backup, which detracts from the first-string quarterback's preparation, or putting in the entire second-team offense, which takes your playmakers off of the field when you need them to be in the game.

Chase Daniels will be the backup this year unless Aaron Murray shows something during the pre-season, but the only quarterback I want to see on the field besides Alex Smith would be Murray. Murray needs reps for the experience, while Daniels needs to be on the field for the win in the instance that Smith gets injured.

Yes. My point is #1 The Offense gets some game practice in the hurry up so when they really need it they are better prepared. It can disrupt the other teams defense. End of the half is a great time to do it.

Getting back ups a few reps is also important. Im not suggesting doing that unless the game is out of reach. 

I'm a big fan of having backups ice games that are well in hand, especially where the backup has the opportunity to add value to his contract (hard to do when Chase Daniel has only one year left on his contract). I'm never a fan of switching out quarterbacks at seemingly random moments as it has never proven to actually be beneficial to an offense's execution. One of two things has to happen to make that work well: Extra first-team reps for the backup, which detracts from the first-string quarterback's preparation, or putting in the entire second-team offense, which takes your playmakers off of the field when you need them to be in the game.

Chase Daniels will be the backup this year unless Aaron Murray shows something during the pre-season, but the only quarterback I want to see on the field besides Alex Smith would be Murray. Murray needs reps for the experience, while Daniels needs to be on the field for the win in the instance that Smith gets injured.

While I agree with you, the problem is that most teams only dress 2 QBs on game day with the Chiefs being no exception a year ago. I find it difficult to believe that Murray will get any game day reps unless Smith gets hurt and Daniel slips in relief.

The talking heads always refer to comeback wins by QB. Well those that use the hurry up more often during the regular game somehow end up with more comeback wins. Not a coincidence. One series during the game is not going to disrupt anything. Need to do this at game speed so when you must have it you are comfortable. Its not just the QB that needs this. All players need the extra game speed experience.

The talking heads always refer to comeback wins by QB. Well those that use the hurry up more often during the regular game somehow end up with more comeback wins. Not a coincidence. One series during the game is not going to disrupt anything. Need to do this at game speed so when you must have it you are comfortable. Its not just the QB that needs this. All players need the extra game speed experience.

No one is against the hurry up or thinks it will disrupt. Only switching QBs between series or plays is a problem, at least until next year, where Smith would prove something one way or another and Daniel isn't here to block Murray.

Archived