What Will Happen Re: Justin Houston

18 members have voted

1. 1. What Will Happen with Justin Houston in 2015?

• Sign a Last Minute Contract (Favorable to the Chiefs).
    • Sign a Last Minute Contract (Favorable to Houston).
    • Continue as Tagged.
    • Signed by Another Team and Matched.
    • Signed by Another Team and Not Matched.
    • Traded.
  2. 2. If Not Signed, What Will Happen?

• Houston will sign and play Game 1.
    • Hold out until Week 10.
    • Hold out entire season.
  3. 3. If Signed by Another Team:

• Chiefs Will Match.
    • Chiefs Will Not Match.
    • Trade if permitted, let go if not.
    • Trade if permitted, match if not.

We have around four days before the deadline to sign Houston, please vote for what you think WILL happen, NOT "SHOULD." Reserve your "should's" for comment here (along with why you think what you said will happen will).

Bonus Question Worth Twice as Many Points: If he plays under the tag, next year, do we tag him, tag and trade him, let him go, or lose him to a team and not match?

Incidentally, if you cannot sign after the 15th, why would you hold out until Week 10 other than to avoid injury? Aren't you just losing salary per game when they cannot cave in and sign you anyway?

The holdout doesn't do anything more than validate the previous commitment to refusing to play on the Franchise Tag until doing so is required by the Collective Bargaining Agreement. The only reason Houston would consider playing in week ten as opposed to not playing at all is that doing so allows him to accrue an additional season toward free agency, and would protect him from a stubborn Chiefs team tagging him again at only 100% (as opposed to 120%) of whatever the 2016 Franchise Tag number is for an outside linebacker.

If Houston has chosen to gamble on himself in a holdout-shortened season and manages to put up almost 1.5 sacks per game as he did in 2014, the money he would lose for missing games in 2015 would pale in comparison to the money he might gain in free agency heading into 2016.

Agree with Mugs.  We've seen too many examples where a player has a great season in his contract year and then never duplicates it after getting his money.  If the Chiefs can get something for Houston after this season, good for them.  Maybe Dee Ford will help make up the loss in 2016.

Plays under the existing tag and walks?

Or

He takes a great money deal, signs long term, is financially set for the rest of his life and is a fixture in KC Community like Lenny. Emmitt and many others.

I hope he see's the big picture and builds a legacy.

w

He is worth everything he can get. Somehow he needs to be signed. Cap raises next year. Pay this man. KC wants respect? Stop allowing top players to leave. He is the face of this defense. Pay him. 

He could be franchised again after this season but that creates lots of negativity. Some players should never be allowed to leave an organization. Houston is one of those.

I dont play fantasy football so stats dont matter to me. Houston is a WINNER!!!!!!!!   

I understand that everyone wants him under a long term contract....BUT for me I look at it like this:

1) Houston is reported to want Top 3-4 OLB money and JJ Watt Money. That's 6 years @ $100M with $52M guaranteed

2) Dorsey wants to make him the highest paid 3-4 OLB, but that's 6 years $81M to get that done. With $25M guaranteed

3) They meet in the middle at 6 years @ $90M with $40M guaranteed (That's $15M a year avg)

OR

4) Dorsey just keeps him on the tag for $13.3M(about $2M in savings) and 1 of two things will happen during the season....

A) Houston has another BIG TIME year and helps his cause for wanting to be the highest paid 3-4 OLB and worth that major contract

B) Houston has a more down to earth season(Odds of having 20+ sacks? exactly) and that shows Dorsey was correct in offering what he was.

Either way...If Houston wont agree for the 6 years $90M then Dorsey should sit back and let Houston prove he can do the same thing over and is worth the $100M OR his production goes down a little(still Pro Bowl level) and all that does is show what Dorsey was offering was correct.

I'm actually hoping it gets done for the 6 years @ $90M with like $20M being paid next year when our cap room is plentiful(YES I understand we have to resign Poe and others...Still will have room for an extra $6M to pay off Houstons contract).

6 years @ $90M with $40 guaranteed

Year 1: $15M

Year 2: $21M

Year 3: $15M

Year 4: $13M

Year 5: $13M

Year 6: $13M

His guaranteed would almost all be paid after year 2 and having his contract down to $13M as the best 3-4 OLB in the game could really go a long way IF this team is pushing for a super bowl in the last few season with our current core players before they retire.

He is worth everything he can get. Somehow he needs to be signed. Cap raises next year. Pay this man. KC wants respect? Stop allowing top players to leave. He is the face of this defense. Pay him. 

He could be franchised again after this season but that creates lots of negativity. Some players should never be allowed to leave an organization. Houston is one of those.

I dont play fantasy football so stats dont matter to me. Houston is a WINNER!!!!!!!!   

If Kansas City wants respect, they need to win titles. Signing players to inflated contracts, especially pass-rushing outside linebackers, doesn't help that cause.

I'd like to see Houston stay. I don't think he'll stay for the money he is worth.

Yes Phatal Error you have identified the KC Chiefs way.. KC has mastered how to be a team with no identity and a history of failure. They can just keep doing what they have always done and lose. Then watch other teams do whatever it takes to keep their top players and win. 

Yes Phatal Error you have identified the KC Chiefs way.. KC has mastered how to be a team with no identity and a history of failure. They can just keep doing what they have always done and lose. Then watch other teams do whatever it takes to keep their top players and win. 

yes, because this philosophy worked so well for the other KC team that went 29 years between playoff appearances...

if they do not get a deal done with houston it will surely signal the beginning of the end of his time in KC...question is, who's fault will it be???

The player for feeling disrespected because he did not get his billions, or the team for not giving in and then looking cheap to the fanbase again...

Archived