overthecap.com just published their preliminary article on the Justin Houston re-signing. The following are comments that arise based on the article.

It's interesting to note how Justin Houston's contract was compared to the following recent high-profile signings: Ndamukong Suh, Gerald McCoy, and Robert Quinn.

Ndamukong Suh, drafted second-overall by the Detroit Lions in 2010, signed as a free agent by the Miami Dolphins in 2015: Suh's previous team, the Detroit Lions, went 38-42 over five seasons along with an 0-2 post-season record.

Gerald McCoy, drafted third-overall by the Tampa Bay Buccaneers in 2010, signed to a long-term extension in 2014: The Tampa Bay Buccaneers have gone 27-53 during the past five seasons, and have had only one winning season and no playoff appearances during that time period. 

Robert Quinn, drafted fourteenth-overall by the St. Louis Rams in 2011, signed to a long-term extension in 2014: The St. Louis Rams haven't had a winning season since Quinn was drafted, going 22-41-1 (.352) over four seasons.

Someone please explain to me how it is that these players, some of the best at their position, didn't manage to help their teams to more than three winning seasons in a combined fourteen seasons (with a combined record of 87-136-1, or .391), and yet could be considered deserving candidates for an inordinate share of the team's salary cap and be considered the piece that will help their franchise be competitive? "Competitive teams" don't persistently have losing records.

Some folks just see the world glass half empty. Who cares about those other teams or results? Has nothing to do with Houston. He may be awesome and again he could get fat. Its a game of chance. At least we have the pieces in place.

Some folks just see the world glass half empty. Who cares about those other teams or results? Has nothing to do with Houston. He may be awesome and again he could get fat. Its a game of chance. At least we have the pieces in place.

The other teams had "pieces in place". Two of those teams upped the ante on those pieces. A third (Detroit) cut bait. Which of Detroit, Tampa Bay, and St. Louis do you expect to have the best 2015 season, and which of them do you expect to have the most long-term success? In either case, I'd pick Detroit, and I'd love to see someone explain an opinion to the contrary.

Those teams weren't losing because of those players. It's still a team sport. You have to have good players to win. That said, this is a stupid breakdown. There's no cause and effect here. Tampa and St louis lose because they had shit at qb. Detroit loses because they're an inept franchise. That's what they do... lose. This is the franchise that wasted barry sanders career and let that dipshit Matt Millen run their team after all. For 7 fucking years!!!

I would say for the most part, good teams don't have the second or third overall pick in the first place.  I think a better point is of the ten biggest FA contracts, other then QB position, you probably won't see alot of rings.  Shermann has one, but he didn't have that contract when he got it.  I don't know that it condones big non-QB contracts, but Houston's age and the fact that he can do so many things makes it a very good move.  Painful, but good.

The Chiefs would have had to pay JH $13.195M this year, at least 120% more next, and another 44% increase if they had to tag him a third time.

2015 - $5.1 instead of $13.195

2016 - $19.1 instead of $15.834

2017 - $20.6 instead of $22.8

2018 - $19.1 instead of gone

2019 - $19.6 instead of gone

2020 - $17.5 instead of gone.

The signing bonus is spread over the first four years. Therefore, the Chiefs can reduce lower future cap hits by converting salary into bonuses.

The Chiefs pay $7M less in the first three seasons than if they had tagged him consecutively.

Archived