Will Marcus Cooper make the Kansas City Chiefs 53-man roster?

Well, the Justin Houston saga has ended with a long term contract.

That's good news. Really, really good news. Any time you can lock down an absolutely elite pass rusher and keep him on your team long term, you do it. When he happens to be a fantastic overall person as well ... that's just gravy.

Now that that's over and done with, we've still got a few weeks of offseason to muddle through. So let's mailbag.

Man, Cooper has a really tough road ahead of him. After seemingly coming out of NOWHERE to play very solid football early in 2013, Cooper faded down the stretch (and against the brutal QB group of Peyton Manning, Philip Rivers, and Andrew Luck) and went from "guy who can play" to "guy we hope can contribute" going into 2014.

We all know how that story ended. The coaching staff trusted Ron Parker over Cooper repeatedly at CB (despite Parker's struggles there), and Cooper never really consistently got on the field in 2014. He played a bit here and there as injuries stacked up, but didn't appear to have progressed after a really promising rookie season. He seemed to struggle with zone concepts most glaringly, but overall just wasn't what we'd hoped.

In the meantime, rookie Philip Gaines made rapid progress and shined when healthy, demonstrating a knack for the position (as well as superior physical tools) that Cooper lacked even at his best. Additionally, Jamell Fleming was able to get onto the field as a highly physical press corner despite not having Cooper's speed. Cooper seemed like he was in a tenuous position as maybe the fourth CB on the roster.

Then Dorsey went out and drafted TWO corners in the first three rounds of the 2015 draft, both of whom (Marcus Peters and Steven Nelson) coming with quite a bit ofpraise from the draftnik community.

Now, one can never count on rookies to be good players right out of the gate, particularly at corner. But Peters, at the very least, has film that makes me believe he's going to able to leapfrog Cooper on the depth chart. And Nelson is more likely than Cooper to get a shot to compete (and stay away from the chopping block) at this point.

Which means Cooper is now quite possibly sixth on the depth chart at corner. That's a very, very precarious position to be in.

I root for Cooper. He's a great story, a guy who played wide receiver most of his life but converted to corner at the last second. Came in out of nowhere and played pretty well until his flaws got exposed. The ideal end of the story is he overcomes those flaws to become a solid contributor. Additionally, I think he has something to offer on special teams.

But as far as an outright comeback ... well, he's going to have a lot of competition if he wants to even get on the field with the defense. I just don't see it.

• 2 years later...

Archived