Do we need another piece?

Simple question. Do the Chiefs need to address any area that we might be thin at? If so, what FA is still out there that you would like to see KC go after? 

Please refrain from using any phrases like "if we can get him for the right price". We all assume that if we want to go after someone it's should be a team friendly deal..lol.

I am currently unsettled about the OL. The Chiefs have a lot of guys competing for RG, but none of them assure confidence. RT may be an issue. Stephenson has the talent to play there, but he has been inconsistent. Perhaps Fisher is going to step it up this year. Injuries, and inexperience can be blamed, but that only goes so far. Kush has the potential, and promise, but he has yet to show he is capable of starting in the NFL. Mitch Morse was drafted fairly high by the Chiefs this year, but the best I can figure is he is a utility OL guy. While having a versatile back up is important, I am not convinced he is what the Chiefs need as a starter.

The only guy of interest at Guard is Evan Mathis. Reid said they weren't looking at him, but that was before Dorsey secured an $8M line of credit on the cap. Mathis wants a lot of money, and he also wants a multiple year contract. He is 33 years old. The other kicker is he recently played LG. The Chiefs would need him to switch back to RG. 

The best Center out there is Alex Mack. He can void his contract with the Browns next year, and he probably will. The problem here is that that comes next year, and the Browns say they are not going to trade him. There isn't much out there currently. Roberto Garza, Dominic Raiola, and Scott Wells were recently cut. All of them are probably over the hill. Raiola was suspended for stepping on a player's ankle. 

Tackles are few and far between. The most intriguing would be Jake Long, who was released by the Rams. Long never fully lived up to expectations. When he was traded to STL, he suffered back to back ACL injuries. If healthy, Long might provide some help at either RT or LT. 

One of the keys is waiting to see what happens after teams cut down to their final 53. Perhaps there will be one or two players available that can help this team. 

Mathis is a stud and I don't think moving to the left side will be too tough to overcome.

Two others that interest me are Reggie Wayne for bringing along our young WRs

and bringing back Bernard Pollard to toughen up against the run.

RG and RT are pretty big areas of need IMO.  Mathis is interesting and would help.

WR is a need.  Nothing here excites me until more cuts happen.

ILB is a need.  Same here. 

It is nice to have room in case a salary cap casualty falls in our lap.

We all assume Jamaal and Knile Davis are enough at RB.  It would be hard to find one at this point who could learn Reid's offense, but we'd better try. I think adding another WR is not necessary.  I think Wilson is going to break through, as well as DAT in the slot, and we have Kelce and Jamaal as short receiiving threats.  Adding another long threat doesn't fit with Alex Smith's arm or mindset or Reid's game plans. Maybe another nose tackle would be a good idea.

We all assume Jamaal and Knile Davis are enough at RB.  It would be hard to find one at this point who could learn Reid's offense, but we'd better try. I think adding another WR is not necessary.  I think Wilson is going to break through, as well as DAT in the slot, and we have Kelce and Jamaal as short receiiving threats.  Adding another long threat doesn't fit with Alex Smith's arm or mindset or Reid's game plans. Maybe another nose tackle would be a good idea.

Don't count out Charcandrick West, Hill, or Cyrus Gray. I guess I am in the minority, but Knile Davis has not impressed me. I don't believe 3.5 yards per carry is going to get it, especially when those stats are spiked by a couple of long runs. He does not appear to me to have the vision necessary, and dances too much in the backfield before hitting a hole. 

Don't count out Charcandrick West, Hill, or Cyrus Gray. I guess I am in the minority, but Knile Davis has not impressed me. I don't believe 3.5 yards per carry is going to get it, especially when those stats are spiked by a couple of long runs. He does not appear to me to have the vision necessary, and dances too much in the backfield before hitting a hole. 

Davis would be fine in a pinch, especially with Sherman blocking. We would shift to power-type running game and use passing more if opponents try stacking up.  Davis was limited because we had no deep threat. Now we do. They would have to play us more "honest". I do like Gray, though. Don't know much about West or Hill. You are right about dancing too much in the backfield, but that would change if he is not running behind the kind of O-line we have had.  He certainly has the speed once he gets going.  Opponents would have to keep an extra safety in to have enough beef to stop him.  That opens things up for DAT and Kelce, as well as Maclin.

There aren't enough runs in Reid's gameplan to worry about RB durability. We can still use DAT for a few touches there too. If we're down to our 3rd back, we're fucked anyway. I like Wayne for the simple fact that he's a pro's pro and our young WRs could learn a lot from him in route running and preparation.

I love Knile Davis. JC has us spoiled.

Aside from the O-line, I don't see a real need for another starter.  It would be hard to get an upgrade off the FA list at this time.  If the O-line comes together this fall, then the Chiefs need only backups, especially at TE and WR. maybe RB.  It's hard not to be optimistic going into TC with the present roster.

What would you call a successful Season Jet?

I say win at least 1 playoff game....

w

Winning a few games they're not expect to win, winning the division or at least going 10-6 or better, beating the Donks at least once.  As for a playoff game, it's disappointing to lose in the first round, especially a home game, but I don't base the whole season on one game.  On paper, the Royals were the worst team in the playoffs last year and they came within one run of winning the World Series.  If the Chiefs make the playoffs and stink up the stadium in that game, then I call it unsuccessful.  If they have to play a 14-2 team on the road and lose a close one, I wouldn't feel so bad.  Of course, if they're favorites for the Super Bowl and pull another 1995, I'll be the most disappointed fan in town.

Winning a few games they're not expect to win, winning the division or at least going 10-6 or better, beating the Donks at least once. As for a playoff game, it's disappointing to lose in the first round, especially a home game, but I don't base the whole season on one game. On paper, the Royals were the worst team in the playoffs last year and they came within one run of winning the World Series. If the Chiefs make the playoffs and stink up the stadium in that game, then I call it unsuccessful. If they have to play a 14-2 team on the road and lose a close one, I wouldn't feel so bad. Of course, if they're favorites for the Super Bowl and pull another 1995, I'll be the most disappointed fan in town.

On paper, royals had the best bullpen, the best defense, and the most speed. Hardly worst on paper..

What would you call a successful Season Jet?

I say win at least 1 playoff game....

w

The measure of success is winning the grand prize.  Anything less is not really "successful" is it?  We have not been "successful" since January, 1970.  We may have had a lot of great seasons, thrilled a lot of fans, had some great games, generated a lot of excitement, and had some amazing stars have peak years.  But we have not, as a team, been truly "successful".  "Successful" is bringing home the Lombardi.  Being "successful" only lasts about 8 months.  Then you have to try to be "successful" again.

To get that level of success requires a good team and a GREAT QB or a great team and a GOOD QB.  I think we are capable of the latter.  It doesn't mean we will get it, but we are capable. 

It takes years to build a Super Bowl Winner....

This is year 3 for Reid and Dorsey....Its time to step forward and win a playoff game.

They got "their QB" ( who I totally support)....

They got their WR....

They have built a great defense....

The window is open and its time to take some big steps....

I see a Championship Season as a "process" that takes: 1. Great Head Coach & GM   2.  a solid strategy  3. the ability to get the right players to execute the strategy.

Its time to take a big step and for Chiefs Fans...winning a Playoff Game is a Big Step.

w

Guess I'm in the minority, but the Chiefs don't have to win the SB for me to enjoy watching and supporting them.  Sure, we all want them to be #1, but the bottom line is to be entertaining and exciting and to give us value in return for our support.

I enjoy them, support them, and watch them no matter what.  I agree with Jet and West.  But if we are defining "success"...well, success in NFL terms is winning the Super Bowl.  I guess I just must be a hard-ass. 

I guess there are a few who live vicariously through the accomplishments of the sports team they follow. If they win the super bowl they are successful by association, but if not they are a loser. That's not a healthy process. I enjoy the team because of my former association with Kansas City, which is a place I have fond memories. I enjoy the team because of the fans, and I get some of that in here. I enjoy the team because I was lucky to have previously known some of the players, and people associated with the team. I like the team because it is fun to watch games. I use my brain to try to figure out future directions of the team, and that is an activity that I find enjoyable. I am a sponge, and have interests in a variety of areas in life. One interest is sports. I like the art of the game. I appreciate how hard the game is to play, and how difficult it is to stay healthy. I am amazed by the skills of dedication of players. I admire the administrative skills of the GM, and coaches. 

I hope the Chiefs do well. I hope they win a playoff game. I hope they win the super bowl. My life will not be much different either way. In the morning, I will wake up, and start my day the same whether they win or lose (whatever that means). I became a fan because I decided to become one. I remain a fan because I am a loyal person by nature, and the team owner is someone I respect. I met Clark Hunt when he was young, before he was the owner. I respected Lamar Hunt, from what I heard others say about him. I can say this, from my perspective, Clark Hunt is a very decent man, who is easy to root for. I felt the same about Ewing Kauffman. I like to root for people who I feel I can admire. Alternatively, its hard for me to support something I don't. That is why it was difficult for me when Scott Pioli was the GM. Now that the team has John Dorsey, and Andy Reid, I am all in. 

It may not make a difference to my life if they win or lose, but it sure helps getting up in the morning when they do. 

I guess there are a few who live vicariously through the accomplishments of the sports team they follow. If they win the super bowl they are successful by association, but if not they are a loser. That's not a healthy process. I enjoy the team because of my former association with Kansas City, which is a place I have fond memories. I enjoy the team because of the fans, and I get some of that in here. I enjoy the team because I was lucky to have previously known some of the players, and people associated with the team. I like the team because it is fun to watch games. I use my brain to try to figure out future directions of the team, and that is an activity that I find enjoyable. I am a sponge, and have interests in a variety of areas in life. One interest is sports. I like the art of the game. I appreciate how hard the game is to play, and how difficult it is to stay healthy. I am amazed by the skills of dedication of players. I admire the administrative skills of the GM, and coaches. 

I hope the Chiefs do well. I hope they win a playoff game. I hope they win the super bowl. My life will not be much different either way. In the morning, I will wake up, and start my day the same whether they win or lose (whatever that means). I became a fan because I decided to become one. I remain a fan because I am a loyal person by nature, and the team owner is someone I respect. I met Clark Hunt when he was young, before he was the owner. I respected Lamar Hunt, from what I heard others say about him. I can say this, from my perspective, Clark Hunt is a very decent man, who is easy to root for. I felt the same about Ewing Kauffman. I like to root for people who I feel I can admire. Alternatively, its hard for me to support something I don't. That is why it was difficult for me when Scott Pioli was the GM. Now that the team has John Dorsey, and Andy Reid, I am all in. 

It may not make a difference to my life if they win or lose, but it sure helps getting up in the morning when they do. 

Great post, Eraser.

By the way, since you are a sponge, shall we call you "Bob"?  And are your pants "square"?  Just wondering.

E,

Great post....

I once met Lamar at one of the Festivus Events years ago....He was riding around in a Golf Cart at about 8:00 pm on a Friday Night at Arrowhead. 

Most folks had gone home and we we just walking around admiring the stadium and the atmosphere......

Up comes Lamar and we spoke for about 15 mins.....

He "lit up" when he understood we were life long fans, from California....you could tell he just loved the team as was a genuine guy.

I hope to meet Clark some day as well...

w

Archived