• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Are you kidding? We have one good not great  new guy , lost a pro bowl center and mostly the same pathetic group from last year. Yes!

Ha..  We have Grubbs, Fanaika, Allen, Morse, Kush.  I was never and still not a Hudson fan so if we lost anything at Center is still yet to be seen.  Mathis would instantly take one starting spot.   So do we trade Allen or Fanaika or do they become backups?

Allen and Fanika trade-able? I doubt it. Morse and Kush unproven.

Promise and coach em up is all good and I hope it works. What I saw last season was horrific.

Surprised Charles could get any yards last year. Lousy protection, receivers and oline play. Teams stacked the box and he somehow survived and had a good season.

Its time to go for it. So bring in more decent o-line help Please! Mathis would be an upgrade and knows the system.

Yes to Mathis.  I hope Allen and Fanika can turn their careers around, but I had to count on it.  I would rather they be depth.

I don't conside Hudson a Pro Bowl center and thing eith Kush or Morse will step up and make Center a non issue.

Fanaika is here to stay this year. If Allen does not turn heads, he will be traded or cut. I don't imagine the Chiefs will gain much in a trade, and most will wait until he is released. Morse can play all positions, and is likely going to be asked to do just that, but in a reserve role. Kush needs to perform. He has not been called upon yet, but the coaches indicate he is ready. Grubbs had a down year last year, but his off year was nothing compared to what the Chiefs plagued us with at LG last year. He should be better. New Orleans was a mess, and Grubbs played hurt. I think the Chiefs will be alright there. Flip a coin on Stephenson. He is up and down. He has tremendous athletic ability and ideal size. He has a peanut sized brain. 

Mathis would fit in fine at RG. He hasn't slowed down yet, despite his age (33). He should be good to go for another 2 or 3 seasons. Being released by the Eagles should not phase anyone. They have done some bewildering moves as of late.

I don't have a lot of confidence in Sherrod. After his leg was mutilated, he has never been the same. Zach Fulton has a fairly low ceiling. He should be a decent reserve, who can fit a role. However, the Chiefs should not be satisfied with him as a starter. LDT has the talent and brains to be very good in this league. The problem is he is just so far behind. I had no idea he would be this much of a project. It may be worth keeping him around for another year just to see if the lights turn on. I don't think we can trust him to be anything more than a long term project. 

We definitely could use Mathis.  O-line is the major concern I have with the current roster.  I know this isn't the topic of the thread, but I have seen enough comments that I have to chime in....Hudson was a freaking stud for us.  I know he's a Raider now, but the dude is legit.  Not for the money they payed him, but he was a beast.  That's even more impressive considering the shit pile he was playing with.  We will miss that guy, even if Kush is ready to step in.  

I was told Chiefs are really interested in G Evan Mathis...  Do we even need him?  I like how our O-line is looking this year.  Grubbs was a nice pickup.

I like Mathis and he would make us better but, I don't think we need him. Having Fanaika, Fulton, and Allen makes us pretty deep imo. All of those guys have a lot of experience and are decent. Center is the question...

Alex doesn't need as much time as people think imo. He is a mobile QB, our offense is built around a running back, and our passing game is mostly about short quick timing routes. Alex doesn't like to throw the ball down the field. We knew that when we signed him. People worry too much about the o-line. We went 20-12 with Allen and/or Fulton in there and we already upgraded the line this year with Grubbs. 

Time is critical for all QB's, especially the deep ball....

If KC can get Mathis, they should do it.  It eliminates another question mark with a very solid answer....

Now Kush or Morse plays between Mathis and Grubbs.....Huge advantage for a young guy.

w

Time is critical for all QB's, especially the deep ball....

If KC can get Mathis, they should do it. It eliminates another question mark with a very solid answer....

Now Kush or Morse plays between Mathis and Grubbs.....Huge advantage for a young guy.

w

I don't get how you can have a QB and coach maximize what they can do within one context (subpar WRs and OL) and then say what they will do in a different context (average WRs with above average diversity of weapons and average OL). Smith and Reid's game is not the short ball, it's maximizing with what you have. Practical and prudent, less risk, but if the better OL gives more time to get to better WRs and other targets having experience, deeper will be safer than last year and safer will be deeper passes than before.

The "time" differential is measured in fractions of a second...

Set up and go deep vs happy feet and rolling out to buy time....

The Guys that have time to "Set Up" seemingly have "better arms" and "can throw the deep ball".

Eli Manning has gone from "terrific" to pretty horrible in the past couple of years....

hint...look at the Giants O-line...Its been a disaster lately and its causing a 2 time SB Champ to look like a Chump.

w

Yes time is critical. Peyton has been on teams that invested in his offense and as a result usually suffered on defense. A Good  QB with Peytons offense line , receivers etc would put up really good numbers. Not saying equal to Mannings but really good #s. Put Peyton on recent Chief teams and he would be injured, retired or worse.

Fanalka,  Fulton and Allen are not great improvements over last year.   Losing Hudson was HUGE.   If we can somehow land Mathis we need to do it now.   I don't see Grubbs making this line a huge upgrade and Kush is a big question mark.

The "time" differential is measured in fractions of a second...

Set up and go deep vs happy feet and rolling out to buy time....

The Guys that have time to "Set Up" seemingly have "better arms" and "can throw the deep ball".

Eli Manning has gone from "terrific" to pretty horrible in the past couple of years....

hint...look at the Giants O-line...Its been a disaster lately and its causing a 2 time SB Champ to look like a Chump.

w

The guys that win the most don't throw it deep that often. Brady and Manning are masters of quick timing routes. 

Eli got a new offensive coordinator and is playing in a new system. The line is part of the problem but, the system change is his main one. I have no idea why they did that. 

Fanalka, Fulton and Allen are not great improvements over last year. Losing Hudson was HUGE. If we can somehow land Mathis we need to do it now. I don't see Grubbs making this line a huge upgrade and Kush is a big question mark.

Fisher is still a question mark.

Fanaika is here to stay this year. If Allen does not turn heads, he will be traded or cut. I don't imagine the Chiefs will gain much in a trade, and most will wait until he is released. Morse can play all positions, and is likely going to be asked to do just that, but in a reserve role. Kush needs to perform. He has not been called upon yet, but the coaches indicate he is ready. Grubbs had a down year last year, but his off year was nothing compared to what the Chiefs plagued us with at LG last year. He should be better. New Orleans was a mess, and Grubbs played hurt. I think the Chiefs will be alright there. Flip a coin on Stephenson. He is up and down. He has tremendous athletic ability and ideal size. He has a peanut sized brain. 

Mathis would fit in fine at RG. He hasn't slowed down yet, despite his age (33). He should be good to go for another 2 or 3 seasons. Being released by the Eagles should not phase anyone. They have done some bewildering moves as of late.

I don't have a lot of confidence in Sherrod. After his leg was mutilated, he has never been the same. Zach Fulton has a fairly low ceiling. He should be a decent reserve, who can fit a role. However, the Chiefs should not be satisfied with him as a starter. LDT has the talent and brains to be very good in this league. The problem is he is just so far behind. I had no idea he would be this much of a project. It may be worth keeping him around for another year just to see if the lights turn on. I don't think we can trust him to be anything more than a long term project. 

I always liked your analysis of the oline eraser. I remember when you talked about Grubbs when he was coming out.  

No question Mathis would improve the line... also no question his asking price would push that position group out of proportion. Just a question of whether the gains would be worth the investment.

I like to see the offensive line be one of a team's primary investments, but I don't like to see a disproportionate share of the overall position group's salary go to substantially older players. It wouldn't help the Chiefs to have 50% of their offensive line cap money going to two players with a combined years in league of 18. I would love to see the Chiefs sign Mathis to a contract that acknowledges that Mathis is aging and doesn't have much time left in the league. It's up to Mathis whether or not he will sign a contract under those terms.

Meh. 33. Wants a lot of dough. Plays the same position as grubbs, the guy we traded for. Remember, this guy was on the trade block same as grubbs and no one bit.

Also andy may want more of a mauler at right guard. That would make the fanaika signing make more sense. He and Fulton both fit the power blocking mold more than the zone blocking mold of more athletic LG guys like grubbs and mathis.

If he could be had on a 1 or 2 year low $$$ contract maybe... but I bet that's not what he wants.

Archived