Chiefs training camp: So many questions about the wide receivers

We'll be starting Kansas City Chiefs positional previews before the start of training camp next week. Up today are the wide receivers.

Unofficial depth chart: Jeremy Maclin, Albert Wilson, Jason Avant, Chris Conley, De'Anthony Thomas, Frankie Hammond, Junior Hemingway, Fred Williams, Kenny Cook, Da'Ron Brown, Armon Binns, Donatella Luckett, Jeret Smith

Changes: Maclin and Conley are in, Dwayne Bowe and Donnie Avery are out.

Previously: Quarterback | Running back

Will Jeremy Maclin open up the offense?

That's the big question as the Chiefs go from Dwayne Bowe to Jeremy Maclin, who was with Andy Reid in Philadelphia. Maclin offers more speed and more of a vertical threat. In a poll, 64 percent of Chiefs fans said Maclin will be a 1,000-yard receiver. The question is whether the Chiefs will take advantage of his speed. I'm of the mind that Alex Smith is who he is and isn't likely to make any wholesale changes to his game. Where the Chiefs might see the biggest upgrade is with Maclin's speed, which is much better than Bowe. Reid can scheme ways to get Maclin open where he has an opportunity to pick up YAC. With slants and screens, Maclin can make a difference in the Chiefs offense.

Is Albert Wilson the No. 2 receiver?

There is legitimate excitement around Albert Wilson but the sample size is an issue. The optimism around Wilson comes from a three-game stretch last year (Week 14-16) where he caught 12 balls for 209 yards. Wilson is smaller (5'9) but he's a strong dude so size shouldn't be too muchof an issue if the Chiefs can get him open. What Wilson has working against him is missing a good chunk of the offseason with an ankle injury. He wasn't entrenched enough in the Chiefs offense that he'll have the No. 2 job just handed to him, especially after a strong offseason from rookie Chris Conley. I will predict that Wilson opens up the year as the Chiefs No. 2 receiver but he'll need to earn it to fight off Conley.

What can Chris Conley do in year one?

The third round pick had a strong offseason which led to the Chiefs feeling comfortable in releasing Da'Rick Rogers. Conley's strengths are his athleticism and speed, which were off the charts at the Combine. On paper, he looks like a good one. However, Reid's offense can be difficult on first year receivers due to the size of the playbook. For that reason, I'm not expecting a whole lot out of Conley early on in the season. I could see a similar pattern as Wilson last year where Conley comes on strong later in the season once he's had an opportunity to assimilate himself into the offense.

The DAT impact

We listed De'Anthony Thomas as a running back last year. We list him as a wide receiver this year. The truth is it doesn't really matter. DAT probably will never be a traditional back or receiver and that's a good thing. DAT's skills are unique and can be exploited in different ways. I go back to the Seahawks game last year where simply his presence on the field caused problems for Seattle's defense. He's more than a gadget player but not quite a full time player. I expect him to increase his numbers from last year when he had 23 receptions and 14 carries. I hope to see continued creativity in plays designed for DAT as well as more overall snaps.

Who else makes it?

The locks I see are Maclin, Wilson, Avant, Conley and DAT. So who gets the final spot or two (depending on how many receivers the Chiefs keep)? Frankie Hammond and Junior Hemingway were on the team last year. Hammond had opportunities while Bowe was out but didn't stand out in my eyes. Hemingway had a crucial drop last season and seemed to disappear after that. UDFA Kenny Cook has reportedly impressed during OTAs but the Chiefs were in shorts at the time. Let's see how he does in pads. There's also a rookie WR Da'Ron Brown, who could be a fit on the practice squad.

http://www.arrowheadpride.com/2015/7/22/9013989/chiefs-training-camp-2015-jeremy-maclin-wide-receivers

Teicher made up the notion that Conley pushed Da'Rick Rodgers out of a job. I enjoy many things Joel Thornton writes. A few things he writes are crap. The very idea of repeating what Teicher pulled out of his crusty old rear end is embarrassing. Da'Rick Rodgers got tossed from the team because he is a knuckle head, and would not learn the offense. There were many other options, and he did not impress the Chiefs enough to put up with his knuckleheadedness. 

Avant is not a lock. I think he will make the team, but he is not going to if Cook, Hammond, and or Brown make the team. There are going to be some surprise cuts on this team this year. The talent is getting deeper. The Chiefs are not going to keep a coach on the field in order to cut a young player who can contribute. I like Avant, but its all about what can you do for me today. 

Receivers are going to be fine. There is enough talent to get it done. Kelce and Charles are the real weapons. Maclin is a proven threat.

The issue will be time to throw. It should be a little better than last year based on signings and current depth. If its much better then WATCH OUT AFC WEST. Chiefs will dominate.

Receivers are going to be fine. There is enough talent to get it done. Kelce and Charles are the real weapons. Maclin is a proven threat.

The issue will be time to throw.

It should be a little better than last year based on signings and current depth. If its much better then WATCH OUT AFC WEST. Chiefs will dominate.

Yep

eh

The issue will be time to throw. It should be a little better than last year based on signings and current depth. If its much better then WATCH OUT AFC WEST. Chiefs will dominate.

I agree with this also. I hadn't watched Maclin a lot when he was with Philly so I'm not sure about him, but I know Charles and Kelce will show up.  Not sure about offensive line. 

I am not embarrassed to admit I have no idea where the Chiefs are going to go with the wide receivers beyond the obvious. A lot of people talk as if they have some knowledge of where it's headed...who will make the cut. But seriously....whatever name is plastered on the back of the jersey you have to accept that Reid & Co. thought they were the best option heading into the season. Beyond Maclin and probably Connelly, since they usually don't cut high round rookies, I would not be surprised regarding anyone else on the list staying or going. 

Avant is not a lock. I think he will make the team, but he is not going to if Cook, Hammond, and or Brown make the team. There are going to be some surprise cuts on this team this year. The talent is getting deeper. The Chiefs are not going to keep a coach on the field in order to cut a young player who can contribute. I like Avant, but its all about what can you do for me today. 

I think he's a lock. He is to Reid as Copper was to Haley. 

Teicher made up the notion that Conley pushed Da'Rick Rodgers out of a job. I enjoy many things Joel Thornton writes. A few things he writes are crap. The very idea of repeating what Teicher pulled out of his crusty old rear end is embarrassing. Da'Rick Rodgers got tossed from the team because he is a knuckle head, and would not learn the offense. There were many other options, and he did not impress the Chiefs enough to put up with his knuckleheadedness.

Agree on rodgers. Disagree on Joel thorman. His stuff is all regurgitating other writers and rah rah cheerleader bullshit. They have a few good content creators on that site but he's not one of them. 2 of their best guys went to other sites, 1 of them is with kcchiefs.com now.

There are some really brilliant dudes on sbnation though, like bill Connelly and some of the EDSBS guys. Just not thorman. He should stick to posting polls and doing the links post like a good hack.

Agree on rodgers. Disagree on Joel thorman. His stuff is all regurgitating other writers and rah rah cheerleader bullshit. They have a few good content creators on that site but he's not one of them. 2 of their best guys went to other sites, 1 of them is with kcchiefs.com now.

There are some really brilliant dudes on sbnation though, like bill Connelly and some of the EDSBS guys. Just not thorman. He should stick to posting polls and doing the links post like a good hack.

On second thought, Thorman did write that article about "the player that shall not be named - kicker", and he should be banished for life for that reason alone, 

I am a firm believer that the addition of Maclin has a cascading effect through the entire receiver corps, and indeed the entire offense. Smith-Bowe was a poor pairing, since Alex is not disposed to "throw a receiver open" even though Dwayne can fight for the ball and win. Maclin never needs to be "thrown open", he's just open. Teams had the luxury of single coverage on Bowe due to the lack of trust with the QB - that will NOT be the case for Maclin. Now the rest of our receivers, Kelce, and Charles will have one less DB to worry about. wilkie will be able to retire his "8 in the box" tee shirt and finally sit back to enjoy an unfettered Jamaal running loose in the backfield. Receivers will score touchdowns. Smith will have a career year. The defense will pin its ears back as we build substantial leads. THIS IS THE YEAR!!!

It matters, whether the line is any better or not. Maclin gives Smith a better quick pass option than Bowe, and also takes a defender away from the other options at the same time. It's true that significant OL improvement will open it up EVEN M0RE, but to say "it makes no difference without it" couldn't be more incorrect.

It matters, whether the line is any better or not. Maclin gives Smith a better quick pass option than Bowe, and also takes a defender away from the other options at the same time. It's true that significant OL improvement will open it up EVEN M0RE, but to say "it makes no difference without it" couldn't be more incorrect.

Have you watched Alex Smith play? He gets skittish when he feels the rush coming too fast. The offense will be decidedly mediocre again if the line doesn't improve.

Have you watched Alex Smith play? He gets skittish when he feels the rush coming too fast. The offense will be decidedly mediocre again if the line doesn't improve.

Watch any NFL QB under pressure. They are all skittish. I see Smith moving and setting his feet in case he wants to run. Mobilty is an asset.

Watch any NFL QB under pressure. They are all skittish. I see Smith moving and setting his feet in case he wants to run. Mobilty is an asset.

Plus one. Some people like to act as if reacting is being skittish or scared. He's playing smart football and he's a mobile quarterback. He needs to take more shots downfield and will be better able to do that with a better offensive line and receivers.

But he's not going to pass down a good shot at a first down and using clock in the safe but positive play because he skittish or scared. It's just the philosophy of the West Coast offense going from high percentage to low percentage, regardless of the depth.

Obviously, you need to execute and it puts pressure on executing by not going for big plays as often some quarterbacks do, but if you get a high percentage play for first down and you're burning clock, that actually helpful to your team.

Against Denver in 2013 I saw him going deeper more when the situation called for it. I was a little bit concerned last year when a few times I thought we should be pushing we weren't as hard. But I really think look at that Denver game in 2013 when we were pushing it down on the receivers were just dropping everything.

Archived