Sean Smith suspended Three Games

My question in this whole thing is IF a player decides to tamper with equipment and does so not so openly that his acts are counteracted (replaced footballs) but that he doesn't deny it or cover it up in the least after the fact, what happens? Do they fine the team the prescribed $25000? Can they get the player for the integrity of the game? I mean, this is different from deflategate because the player DOES deny it and might have covered it up, but does doing so (denying and covering up) protect him? I guess what I am saying, does guilt or cell phone texts even matter here? Would he have had his suspension hold up if he didn't deny/cover it up? I'm trying to figure out how strong the "notice" and "prescribed penalty" is in this case. People talk about the texts and the phone destruction and the result of the Colts game being lopsided, the second half play, etc. Does any of that matter?

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest kcchiefs63

I find very peculiar that the actual reason for all of this is washed to the side, like it isn't important. The actual infraction of cheating. That infraction was pushed away because Goodell overstepped with "Golden boy". So that just shows all the kids out there, if you are a good player, you get a pass. Kobe, Roethlisberger,Vick,Lewis,Rice and countless others. Really shows the integrity of professional sports when they bring that much negative attention to their sport, and are still allowed to play and earn millions.

Guest okiechief1

My question in this whole thing is IF a player decides to tamper with equipment and does so not so openly that his acts are counteracted (replaced footballs) but that he doesn't deny it or cover it up in the least after the fact, what happens? Do they fine the team the prescribed $25000? Can they get the player for the integrity of the game? I mean, this is different from deflategate because the player DOES deny it and might have covered it up, but does doing so (denying and covering up) protect him? I guess what I am saying, does guilt or cell phone texts even matter here? Would he have had his suspension hold up if he didn't deny/cover it up? I'm trying to figure out how strong the "notice" and "prescribed penalty" is in this case. People talk about the texts and the phone destruction and the result of the Colts game being lopsided, the second half play, etc. Does any of that matter?

I think the appearance of a cover up was worse than the incident.  Last year the Panthers and Vikes had a game where it was cold as hell to the point the balls were hard.  The ball boys were caught on camera putting the balls in front of those jet heaters to warms them up so they wouldn't be so hard and easier to handle.   NFL issued both teams a warning and told them don't do it again.  No fine no nothing.   JMO but I said earlier in this thread that if Brady had just said something yea I told them to let some air out cause I like them a little on the low side but obviously they went to far.  My mistake won't happen again.  The whole thing is done and over with before the SB.  Deflategate never happens.   If I remember right Rogers admitted he liked it almost over inflated, nothing was said and doubt they start checking his pressures any more closely on  him than they do now.   

Teams I think do much more than what the fans will ever know to gain a competitive advantage because of whats at stake.  

Teams I think do much more than what the fans will ever know to gain a competitive advantage because of whats at stake.  

True. But I hate when people use that to justify things, though. To me, it's like a robber saying, "people do a lot to gain a financial advantage because of the benefit it has. If you ain't stealing, you ain't trying." I'm like, what the fuck. Do what you can to get a competitive advantage, but if you get caught, you should should get punished just as much. It's your risk, go to the edges, but if you go over, accept the punishment, don't look around and say everyone would have done the same. If so, everyone should be punished when it's proven. Only injustice would be to look the other way for some but investigate others.

You mean like spend extra money obtaining good players, scouting more thoroughly, or enticing the best coaches to come to their team using under-the-table perks and benefits?  I have to admit, those are pretty effective, and often make the difference in being competitive.

You mean like spend extra money obtaining good players, scouting more thoroughly, or enticing the best coaches to come to their team using under-the-table perks and benefits? I have to admit, those are pretty effective, and often make the difference in being competitive.

So you're OK with cheating as long as it benefits you, right?????

So you're OK with cheating as long as it benefits you, right?

You should learn some sarcasm.  I know it's subtle, but it would benefit you.

BTW, have you read any of my posts on this thread?  Just curious.  Just to help you along, I was making a point...that is that competitiveness involves trying to obtain advantage, and that the opportunities for obtaining that involve a lot more than overt cheating by under-inflating balls,  by orders of magnitude.  Whoever does that kind of tawdry cheating should pay the price, but it is pretty small potatoes when it comes to the maneuvering that teams use to gain an advantage over the other teams.  Its like being enraged at a shoplifter while Wall St. executives create completely legal "derivative" securities that could bring down an entire economy, while passing that off as "boys will be boys."

Guest okiechief1

True. But I hate when people use that to justify things, though. To me, it's like a robber saying, "people do a lot to gain a financial advantage because of the benefit it has. If you ain't stealing, you ain't trying." I'm like, what the fuck. Do what you can to get a competitive advantage, but if you get caught, you should should get punished just as much. It's your risk, go to the edges, but if you go over, accept the punishment, don't look around and say everyone would have done the same. If so, everyone should be punished when it's proven. Only injustice would be to look the other way for some but investigate others.

I'm not advocating it by any means.

I remember reading an interview with herm Edwards after spygate happened. He pretty much said that kind of stuff has been going on since he played and said it was just gamesmanship. NFL thought differently and said nope it's cheating. Personally I thought it was cheating, but it made think that their is more things like that where players and coaches write off as a competitive advantage and we see as cheating or going against the integrity of the game.

Guest okiechief1

You mean like spend extra money obtaining good players, scouting more thoroughly, or enticing the best coaches to come to their team using under-the-table perks and benefits? I have to admit, those are pretty effective, and often make the difference in being competitive.

Yep, things like those lol

Archived