Poe Out For The Year

We picked up his 5th year option at the end of April so we have him for this year and next and then a FA in 2017.

I do think he will be back by the time we play Denver on Thursday what concerns me is back injuries on a 350lb man can tend to linger especially with the amount we use him. So I really hope he doesn't lose some of his effectiveness nor miss a game here or there due to this.

Thats great news. I did not know he was signed for next year.

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is the time for extremes among fans.  Berry is normal and will be a beast.  Poe is sunk and so are the Chiefs.  Its all just hysteria in both directions.  Calm down, folks.

Teams are not going to run wild on the ground.  We have DJ back and DeVito.  DeVito might play nose. Jaye Howard is decent.  Learning a 4-3 at this point is just plain insane. Its not like flipping a light switch.  Poe will play at some point, probably early.  He might play and flare it up again.  Great teams that deserve Super Bowls have depth.  Great teams like the Royals who want to win a  World Series championship sign Zobrist.  Depth is everything.  If a team doesn't have it, they are not ready to dream of championships.

We picked up his 5th year option at the end of April so we have him for this year and next and then a FA in 2017.

I do think he will be back by the time we play Denver on Thursday what concerns me is back injuries on a 350lb man can tend to linger especially with the amount we use him. So I really hope he doesn't lose some of his effectiveness nor miss a game here or there due to this.

That's right.  He is (1) probably becoming more affordable after 2017 if he has a history of lower back problems.  (2) overused -and having guys get experience early at NT will make us better, because Poe can be spelled, prolonging his career. This could be a blessing. (3) This could get Reid to experiment more with using Houston, Hali, and Ford all together to maintain the killer pass rush in obvious passing situations. There are all kinds of adjustments and upgrades that no one has thought about yet. (4) micro disc surgery is vastly improved, and the Chiefs have access to the best re-hab regimens and equipment known to mankind.  He may very well miss only a couple of regular season games.  We have to see.  He will definitely not play the pre-season. (5) He will lose nothing in knowledge of new defensive schemes, since he will be at all practices and meetings of coaches and players.

I spoke to someone who is usually trustworthy. He said Poe would miss training camp, but be ready for game one. Whether he plays that day or not is questionable. This is not a huge issue. Again... I'm glad he got it fixed. 

wonder where the disc location is at?

I had this surgery many years ago in the lowest part of the back..had the entire disc removed and have had hell since...no doubt the surgery helped me but was never close to the same...

one good thing I read poe only had a portion of the disc removed so he should have a decently stable structure...

Its hard to believe anyone from Belize could be intense.  That place is very mellow.  I went on a week long dive trip there twice.  Nothing but smiles and easy going people...and great diving.

The mosquitoes can be intense, depending upon what part of the country. Maybe that part rubbed off. 

I can only speak for me but I am really really concerned about a 350 pound man with a herniated disc.   We're not talking about sitting up and walking.   We're talking about getting into football shape.  I would expect that the passage of time can help him get back into shape sooner.   But because we are all homers and because we understand how valuable a player Poe is,  we want him to get well quickly.  Because we need him.   But we don't always have his best interests at heart.  We should not rush this process just because we want him to get well today. 

I can only speak for me but I am really really concerned about a 350 pound man with a herniated disc.   We're not talking about sitting up and walking.   We're talking about getting into football shape.  I would expect that the passage of time can help him get back into shape sooner.   But because we are all homers and because we understand how valuable a player Poe is,  we want him to get well quickly.  Because we need him.   But we don't always have his best interests at heart.  We should not rush this process just because we want him to get well today. 

That's for sure.  The first four games are brutal.  Then we should have a really good run.  It will get more experience for his backups, teach the team how to compensate, and could lead to good things.  If we can get through the first four games 1-3, or especially 2-2, it bodes very well for the playoffs.  Keep Poe in wraps until at least the 5th week and be very careful with him. He could come in quite useful in late October or even November or December and put us in a great position heading into the final stretch.

I would be surprised if he plays in the first half of the season, if at all.  Like Wilkie said, a back injury is a whole different animal.  Poe would be smart to sit out the season and get as close to 100% as possible for 2016.  If we can't replace one player and still win, then we were not good enough anyway.

I would be surprised if he plays in the first half of the season, if at all.  Like Wilkie said, a back injury is a whole different animal.  Poe would be smart to sit out the season and get as close to 100% as possible for 2016.  If we can't replace one player and still win, then we were not good enough anyway.

This is not just one player. He may be the best NT in the game. Losing Houston is comparable but we have no Ford behind Poe. Few teams can replace a player of this caliber. It takes KC away from many of the things they could do on defense. Houston now double teamed etc. Teams can really exploit this loss.

I agree absolutely.  Poe may be the most valuable player we have on our defense.  Last year the Broncos learned how to win without Ryan Clady.  The pressure is on to find someone who can adequately step in.   I agree with Semo that after back surgery Poe should probably sit out the season.  But the other side of my brain says I want this to be our playoff run year. 

We will get our test early when we face the Broncos on Week #2 Thursday night game.

I agree absolutely.  Poe may be the most valuable player we have on our defense.  Last year the Broncos learned how to win without Ryan Clady.  The pressure is on to find someone who can adequately step in.   I agree with Semo that after back surgery Poe should probably sit out the season.  But the other side of my brain says I want this to be our playoff run year. 

We will get our test early when we face the Broncos on Week #2 Thursday night game.

Unlike last years debacle of a Thursday night game, at least both teams will be playing on a short week this time.

The NFL should get rid of Thursday night games. They are both unfair to players and to fans.  Only good for a TV audience.

Archived