Poe Out For The Year

Unlike last years debacle of a Thursday night game, at least both teams will be playing on a short week this time.

The NFL should get rid of Thursday night games. They are both unfair to players and to fans. Only good for a TV audience.

Or at least make it between teams coming off of a bye.

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Or at least make it between teams coming off of a bye.

But then, both teams would have to play after only THREE days rest, because teams only get one bye per season.  That would be horrible for the teams and players.  They would definitely lose their following game.  Nope.  Get rid of Thursday night games.

Unlike last years debacle of a Thursday night game, at least both teams will be playing on a short week this time.

The NFL should get rid of Thursday night games. They are both unfair to players and to fans.  Only good for a TV audience.

That being us  :P  :D

But then, both teams would have to play after only THREE days rest, because teams only get one bye per season.  That would be horrible for the teams and players.  They would definitely lose their following game.  Nope.  Get rid of Thursday night games.

I don't understand. You would have 10 days between games wouldn't you?

I don't understand. You would have 10 days between games wouldn't you?

Yes, but then both teams would have only three days until the next game on Sunday. If each team gets only one bye per season, and they are coming off a bye to play on Thursday night, then they would only have Friday and Saturday to rest and prepare for the next game.  Both teams would lose with certainty.  Do you get it?

Can BOTH teams get their bye AFTER they play?  If so, then that would work.  But it would sure shackle the NFL regarding picking teams for the Thursday night game each week.

The Thursday night game is the first game of the week, not last. If the prior Sunday was the bye, it would still be a 10 day break. Then another 9 until the next Sunday.

Example: KC opens against Houston on the Sunday 9-13. Denver the next Thursday, 9/17. Then Monday 9/28 in GB.

The Thursday night game is the first game of the week, not last. If the prior Sunday was the bye, it would still be a 10 day break. Then another 9 until the next Sunday.

Example: KC opens against Houston on the Sunday 9-13. Denver the next Thursday, 9/17. Then Monday 9/28 in GB.

Obviously, I didn't understand.  So, just because they didn't play on Sunday before the Thursday night game, it doesn't mean that Sunday was a bye.  They would still get a bye on the Suncday game a few days later and not  play until the Sunday after that.  That makes sense to me now.  For it to be fair, that would have to be the case for both teams.  That would mean, though, that the only matchups could be between teams in different conferences, since on any given week, there can be only one bye in a conference.  Right?  If that is the case, division or even conference rivals could never play each other for the Thursday night game, unless there I two byes per conference each week.  I can't find a full schedule on the internet for all the teams.  Does each conference always have two byes each week?

Obviously, I didn't understand. So, just because they didn't play on Sunday before the Thursday night game, it doesn't mean that Sunday was a bye. They would still get a bye on the Suncday game a few days later and not play until the Sunday after that. That makes sense to me now. For it to be fair, that would have to be the case for both teams. That would mean, though, that the only matchups could be between teams in different conferences, since on any given week, there can be only one bye in a conference. Right? If that is the case, division or even conference rivals could never play each other for the Thursday night game, unless there I two byes per conference each week. I can't find a full schedule on the internet for all the teams. Does each conference always have two byes each week?

What makes more sense would be November 15, November 26, December 6...

Obviously, I didn't understand.  So, just because they didn't play on Sunday before the Thursday night game, it doesn't mean that Sunday was a bye.  They would still get a bye on the Suncday game a few days later and not  play until the Sunday after that.  That makes sense to me now.  For it to be fair, that would have to be the case for both teams.  That would mean, though, that the only matchups could be between teams in different conferences, since on any given week, there can be only one bye in a conference.  Right?  If that is the case, division or even conference rivals could never play each other for the Thursday night game, unless there I two byes per conference each week.  I can't find a full schedule on the internet for all the teams.  Does each conference always have two byes each week?

That is a good question. It just seems like any intern with the schedule in excel should be able to sort and filter this into a real stategy. Holy smokes, are we programing the flight path of the New Horizon space probe here?

That is a good question. It just seems like any intern with the schedule in excel should be able to sort and filter this into a real stategy. Holy smokes, are we programing the flight path of the New Horizon space probe here?

Scripting the NFL season is getting harder and harder with more skeptics out there. They have to figure out a way to screw the teams they don't like and help the others while trying to keep some resemblance of parity and neutrality. Now, I just have to figure out how to make them care about what I think, the teams I want to screw over, and who to help.

Probably.  Its pretty complex. 

We should ask Xen.  He's from Pluto.

Scripting the NFL season is getting harder and harder with more skeptics out there. They have to figure out a way to screw the teams they don't like and help the others while trying to keep some resemblance of parity and neutrality. Now, I just have to figure out how to make them care about what I think, the teams I want to screw over, and who to help.

Clearly we want a big market team in the Super Bowl, because, you know, the money.

having teams coming off bye weeks playing the thursday night games makes a ton of sense. issue becomes that there are usually at least 4 teams on bye and only 1 thurs night game. so two teams will get two extended breaks. there would be bitching about favoritism.

having teams coming off bye weeks playing the thursday night games makes a ton of sense. issue becomes that there are usually at least 4 teams on bye and only 1 thurs night game. so two teams will get two extended breaks. there would be bitching about favoritism.

Simple solution: Rotate and give the Chiefs no Thursday games. ;)

When did we go to 64 teams? I believe in expansion, but dang.

When did we go to 64 teams? I believe in expansion, but dang.

There are only about eight weeks where teams can have byes. You should have a bye before week four or so and you can't have a byeafter week 12 or so. Those are eight weeks and 32 teams. So about 4 per eligible week. (I say about four because I don't know if it is evenly spread out, not because I don't know math.)

• 4 weeks later...

Chiefs NT Dontari Poe (back surgery) avoided reserve/PUP to open the season.
It's a potential sign Poe could be ready to return at some point in September, or early October. The date Poe would've been eligible to return had he gone on reserve/PUP would be October 25. Poe remains unlikely to play in Week 1. The Chiefs will turn to Jaye Howard at nose tackle in the meantime.

As estimated, early October.  Let Jaye Play!  As long as he can. If Howard and Fangupo can get the job done,  Poe will build himself up and help crush them in the playoffs. It is amusing to see the gloom and doom in the first few posts on this thread.

Archived