Eric Berry is cleared to play

Saw Andy's presser....

It would be amazing if Berry was able to practice and be on the opening day roster. I think that is still a big "if" but what a boost to the team to get back Devito, DJ and Berry? That defense would be otherworldly.

Chiefs' Berry cleared to return after lymphoma treatments

By DAVE SKRETTA (AP Sports Writer) 4 hours ago AP - Sports

FILE - In this Nov. 16, 2014, file photo, Kansas City Chiefs strong safety Eric Berry (29) enters the …

ST. JOSEPH, Mo. (AP) -- Chiefs safety Eric Berry is returning to the practice field, less than eight months after a stunning cancer diagnosis threatened to derail his Pro Bowl career.

Berry was cleared by the Kansas City medical staff and his own doctors after a battery of tests Tuesday. He will join quarterbacks, rookies and select injured players Wednesday morning for the first practice of training camp on the campus of Missouri Western State University.

Berry was diagnosed with Hodgkin's disease last December, shortly after complaining of pain in his chest following a game against Oakland. He was treated at Emory University in Atlanta almost immediately, and went through the final round of treatment in June.

''He's kept himself in good shape, believe it or not,'' Chiefs coach Andy Reid said earlier Tuesday, before Berry was cleared to return. ''He's really done a good job there.''

Hodgkin's disease, also called Hodgkin's lymphoma, is a cancer of the immune system that makes up about 8 percent of all diagnosed lymphomas. According to the National Cancer Institute, more than 9,000 people will be diagnosed with it in the United States this year.

The survival rate in 1960 was about 40 percent, but advancements in medicine combined with earlier detections have increased the survival rate to more than 80 percent.

According to Dr. Christopher Flowers, who directs the lymphoma program at Emory's Winship Cancer Institute, Berry was scheduled to undergo ''standard chemotherapy approaches.'' Beyond that, Berry and the team have been reluctant to reveal details of his treatment.

Berry is scheduled to speak to reporters after Wednesday's practice.

While questions remain about Berry's fitness and whether he will be ready for the season opener in September, it would not be unprecedented for an athlete to return at a high level.

Hall of Fame hockey player Mario Lemieux was diagnosed with the same disease in 1993, went through treatment and ultimately finished his career with the Pittsburgh Penguins. Cubs first baseman Anthony Rizzo was diagnosed with Hodgkin's lymphoma in 2008 and was successfully treated with chemotherapy, and was later voted to his first All-Star game.

While football became an afterthought as Berry battled cancer, his absence from the field was still noteworthy for a team that just missed reaching the playoffs last season.

The Chiefs' defense was among the league's best against the pass, but it struggled mightily to defend the run. The 26-year-old Berry happens to be one of the best run-stopping safeties in the game, a hard hitter who fearlessly crashes the line of scrimmage.

The fifth overall pick in the 2010 draft, Berry has played his entire career in Kansas City, becoming one of the most popular players on the team. He missed all of the 2011 season with a torn knee ligament, but returned to start all 16 games the following year. He has started 53 games in all, piling up 323 tackles with 5 1/2 sacks and eight interceptions.

His return, regardless of how much he'll be able to participate, will certainly boost some spirits in Kansas City. Earlier in the day, Reid announced that Pro Bowl defensive tackle Dontari Poe had surgery on his back last week and would miss all of training camp.

Poe was diagnosed with a herniated disc. He had surgery on July 15.

''He stands a reasonable chance (of returning) in the early part of the season. Whether that's the beginning or somewhere early in the season for his return, you just have to see and see how things recover, how he recovers there,'' Reid said.

Very good news. Berry is a force and even if he plays a few less snaps it gives us a guy that can do it all. Turnovers!

Side Note: Hope this does not move Parker to corner for Smith. Parker is awful at corner.

He's not as bad as you are making out. They re-signed him because of his versatility. I think Peters and Gaines will start.

He's not as bad as you are making out. They re-signed him because of his versatility. I think Peters and Gaines will start.

Respectfully disagree. Parker was completely exposed last year at corner. Good safety and protection in case Berry was not coming back. Doubt KC would have given him that money if they knew Berry would be back. Good move as an insurance policy. Just keep him at safety.

Instead of using the traditional method of installing a port, Berry eschewed the port, and had chemotherapy delivered via IV injections in order to continue workouts.. 

Berry Strong... The man!

Don't get too excited, folks.  He is going to do some light workouts with QB's, receivers, and a few others.  It doesn't mean he can put on pads or participate in full camp in the heat. It doesn't mean yet he will play this year in the pre-season or regular games.  He will probably remain on the DL for a good while.  There is an announcement coming up about it from Reid in a few days.  We still don't know if it was low grade, low stage Hodgkins or something a little or a lot worse.  He might be a good full time player again, or maybe never. He has been exposed to almost a year of chemo.  That shit takes it out of you.  Keep your excitement under wraps for awhile to avoid being disappointed.  It is nice that there is no sign of disease and he is clear right now, but this is being hyped by people not in the know about the details.

Respectfully disagree. Parker was completely exposed last year at corner. Good safety and protection in case Berry was not coming back. Doubt KC would have given him that money if they knew Berry would be back. Good move as an insurance policy. Just keep him at safety.

I think you need to go watch the Buffalo game film again. It wasn't as bad as you think. That said, hopefully Peters will start. 

OK Educate me please. Assuming he is healthy and starting. With our deep secondary.....How do you guys see Berry changing the secondary, assignments etc? Will he cover tight ends? Run support? Who sits more?

Berry will play just about every snap if he is completely healthy. Most of the time he will play strong safety but will sometimes line up at FS or nickel back in certain nickel formations. He also plays a hybrid linebacker role in the nickel package called the "star" position. Often times we run three safety sets on defense. Guys like Demps and Coleman have fit in those spots well over the past couple of years. I suspect this year it will be Wilson and/or Parker at times. 

Don't get too excited, folks.  He is going to do some light workouts with QB's, receivers, and a few others.  It doesn't mean he can put on pads or participate in full camp in the heat. It doesn't mean yet he will play this year in the pre-season or regular games.  He will probably remain on the DL for a good while.  There is an announcement coming up about it from Reid in a few days.  We still don't know if it was low grade, low stage Hodgkins or something a little or a lot worse.  He might be a good full time player again, or maybe never. He has been exposed to almost a year of chemo.  That shit takes it out of you.  Keep your excitement under wraps for awhile to avoid being disappointed.  It is nice that there is no sign of disease and he is clear right now, but this is being hyped by people not in the know about the details.

did you hear Reid's & Berry's presser's today?

The press conference by Reid and the Doc was outstanding.  Sounds like Berry will be on the field week one...

Once again, I salute E.B. .....A close friend of mine is battling lymphoma and I keep sending him E.B. updates for motivation.

My buddy did not take the "port" either.....He wanted to keep playing basketball with us each Sunday Night.....

Huge props to both these guys.

w

did you hear Reid's & Berry's presser's today?

No. I thought they were going to be in the next few days.  I'll be very excited if he is 100%.  I will always have my doubts if he can keep his stamina week in and week out.  A sixteen game schedule is brutal, not to mention the pre-season games in the heat.  This guy had 8 months of chemotherapy.  I would be amazed if he could be anything but be a rotational or package player this year.  But then, I am frequently amazed by things.

No. I thought they were going to be in the next few days.  I'll be very excited if he is 100%.  I will always have my doubts if he can keep his stamina week in and week out.  A sixteen game schedule is brutal, not to mention the pre-season games in the heat.  This guy had 8 months of chemotherapy.  I would be amazed if he could be anything but be a rotational or package player this year.  But then, I am frequently amazed by things.

It sounds like the IV treatments he got during therapy made it possible for him to work out the entire time. It is pretty interesting. 

It sounds like the IV treatments he got during therapy made it possible for him to work out the entire time. It is pretty interesting. 

He's lucky his veins were good enough that he didn't need a port.

That chemo for Hodgkins is rough.  In that article it sounded like he thought he was going to die.  Couldn't even get out of bed.  How he is going to actually play an actual game this soon is beyond me.  I have wondered if they brought him back to active status as a gesture of good will, allowing him to be paid for this season. The Chiefs are a class organization and would do that.  We'll see.  Could be that the doctors and his family want him to hear that roar when they announce his name coming out of the tunnel.

In his presser, it said he was done with Chemo in May, and the doctors all said he was good to go, and they even did a strength test and bone density test.  It appears the man is good to go.  I sure hope so.

http://espn.go.com/blog/kansas-city-chiefs/post/_/id/12654/eric-berry-focused-on-the-process-to-beat-his-cancer-return-to-the-chiefs

In his presser, it said he was done with Chemo in May, and the doctors all said he was good to go, and they even did a strength test and bone density test.  It appears the man is good to go.  I sure hope so.

http://espn.go.com/blog/kansas-city-chiefs/post/_/id/12654/eric-berry-focused-on-the-process-to-beat-his-cancer-return-to-the-chiefs

I hope so, too.

Archived