Chiefs Run Defense Proves Stats are not Everything?

I never care about rankings. Much has to do with the opposition and much has to do with the game situation. Example: You give up a long run when you are in third and long and the team does not get a first down. Example: You give up a long run when leading late by 17 points late in the half or game. 

Win on 1st down & second down. Our Goal line hold were awesome. So maybe our run defense is not all that bad?

Good Article from AP.

DJ was asked about having to stand on the sidelines while the team struggled, specifically against the run.

"I'm not the savior that's going to save everything from what went on last year with the running game, but am I going to help? A lot."

Yeah, he will help. But maybe not as much as you'd think. Earlier this week, our defensive guru Craig Stout spent a few minutes on DJ and DeVito's return and the effect on the run defense. I'll let him do the rest of the work here since I generally have no idea what I'm talking about (shh, don't tell anyone).

"Derrick Johnson is an all-world inside linebacker against the run," Craig wrote in his training camp primer for the Chiefs defense. "He's so awesome he's got a nickname for when he shoots the gap and makes the stop behind the line of scrimmage. Mike DeVito is a mountain of a man who simply does not get moved off the spot. So why won't their addition improve the run defense all that much? The sub-package defense.

"Look back at the 2013 Chiefs team. They had the same coaching staff, had Poe, DeVito, DJ, Houston, and Tamba in the front seven. They boasted a healthy Eric Berry, another run-stuffer in Tyson Jackson up front, and Akeem Jordan (who I rated higher than the guys currently at the SILB position). That team allowed 4.5 yards per rush, good for 26th in the league. 26th! By comparison, last year's terrible run defense allowed 4.7 yards per rush, good for 30th. That's not good.

"However, against the base defense in 2013, teams only averaged 2.89 yards per rush. Those are fantastic numbers, and further proves just how weak the sub package is against the run. Since Sutton prefers to utilize a three-safety, three-corner sub-package, the run defense becomes very weak. At this point, based on the personnel Sutton has at his disposal, there's no reason why there should be a formational shift. Therefore, I wouldn't expect the run defense to improve all that much."

It's the same concept as quarterbacks that are playing for bad teams and get a lot of garbage time yards. Then, people will say that the quarterback is good but his team is bad. (Stafford - It's not that he's a bad quarterback, but his yards have given him more credit than he deserves.)

Then, you get a quarterback who's playing for a winning team who's running out the clock and doesn't get much production in the second half and people ask if he's holding the team back. It's all about efficiency and yes, you need some big shots.

It's the same concept as quarterbacks that are playing for bad teams and get a lot of garbage time yards. Then, people will say that the quarterback is good but his team is bad. (Stafford - It's not that he's a bad quarterback, but his yards have given him more credit than he deserves.)

Then, you get a quarterback who's playing for a winning team who's running out the clock and doesn't get much production in the second half and people ask if he's holding the team back. It's all about efficiency and yes, you need some big shots.

So based on the results on 1 & 2 down to think KC has a serious run stopping problem? Lets not get into the without Poe conversation.

Last year we played the pass. 2 deep on safety and ILB dropping into coverage. That makes in easy for a team to slip in a 15 yard run. Is the best in the league at recognizing a run quickly. Last year, Maulga and JMJ were just trying to survive as first time starters. They didn't have the experience to recognize when the line is pass blocking or run blocking. DJ will make a huge difference.

So based on the results on 1 & 2 down to think KC has a serious run stopping problem? Lets not get into the without Poe conversation.

My fault. I have to confess I didn't read the whole thing. I just read about the third down and long and giving up 17 yards when they need 18. That's still a good down despite giving up a lot of yards. You stop the first down from happening.

My fault. I have to confess I didn't read the whole thing. I just read about the third down and long and giving up 17 yards when they need 18. That's still a good down despite giving up a lot of yards. You stop the first down from happening.

Sure they could improve, but the run defense was not as bad as the yardage stat indicates.

People forget that we didn't surrender a rushing TD until the debacle game in Oakland. I think we gave up only 4 or 5 rushing TDs all year.

The Chiefs still have room to improve against the run, but it is good to see others point out those stats are sometimes meaningless. Its like a team that gets behind, and throws for 400 yards out of desperation. One could look at those stats, and believe there was nothing wrong with the offense. However, the details matter. 

The Chiefs should be better against the run if DJ is back to health. Their secondary may prove to be stronger by the end of the year. If this happens, teams will focus on running. If you can shut down one aspect of an offense, the game is a lot easier to play. I generally like the direction of the team. The Chiefs need to get more depth at the NT. If Catapano is as good as his teammates indicate, there should be plenty of depth at DE. I think this will allow DeVito, and Jaye Howard to play some at NT. 

Archived