Sea DT Tony McDaniel Released. Should KC?

Seahawks released DT Tony McDaniel.
He was owed $3 million in salary and bonuses. It was inevitable the Seahawks would have to cut someone to clear cap room after signing Russell Wilson and Bobby Wagner to big contract extensions. It's a big loss for Seattle's front seven as McDaniel received PFF's 15th highest defensive tackle grade last season. The 10-year veteran shouldn't have any trouble landing a new team.

He could be a nice fit. The Chiefs need someone to absorb some of the minutes for Poe when he returns, and he could help if Poe is unable to return before the first of the year. 

The Chiefs have other options as well. DeVito is very strong, and has experience at NT. Jaye Howard is still listed at 301, but he weighed in at 330. He has been putting on weight, and is very strong. Hebron Fangupo was recently signed by the Chiefs after being released by Washington. Fangupo was on the practice team for the Chiefs in 2014, and has been on 5 different teams since being undrafted in 2012. He is 30 years old, and has only played in 5 games. That doesn't sound like much, but he is a hefty NT, and is strong. 

Part of which presumably was for Dontari Poe's pending contract extension. And then he had this back injury. I don't really know what to expect from the Chiefs' front office now.

I would not presume that. Next year is a long way off. We got Smith & Huston Done. There is always a way. I want KC to use that money to win now and my guess is they will.

I thought KC is 8 million under? 

Part of which presumably was for Dontari Poe's pending contract extension. And then he had this back injury. I don't really know what to expect from the Chiefs' front office now.

Not to be negative. Everyone assumes Poe will be back. Maybe by game 4-6. What if he is not? Back injuries are funky and although this guy is an athlete, he is huge. KC hopefully takes a close look at this guy.

I'm not saying they shouldn't look at McDaniels. I'm just saying that not all of that cap room is available for signing free agents prior to the start of the pre-season. As for the matter of re-signing Poe, you can't give a big extension with the existing prognosis ranging from 'may be able to return to his prior form' and 'may never play football again'. Even so, if the long-term intentions are to re-sign Poe, it would be desirable for Poe to be re-signed before next year arrives and the increase in his salary cap hit increases his leverage in contract talks.

Most people would expect Chase to be the "Daniel" to be cut when it comes on a Chiefs forum.

This one kills me.... Why would do people think this? 

Daniel was the first guy Dorsey and Reid signed on the first day of their first season of free agency. They gave him a contract for more than he's probably worth because they wanted him so bad. He has started twice and played very well in both games. Having a veteran QB is obviously important to the hierarchy of this organization. He will not get cut and will finish out his contract for sure. 

That said, we should be $8 million under the cap which means we would probably be willing to pay $5-6 million at the most. Dorsey will save a couple of million in case somebody gets injured and we have to sign a vet or two during the season. You always want to have a couple of million stashed away. 

I hope we bring in one of the guys from the article. I hate being one injury away from scrambling for someone left over in week 2 or 3. Get em in camp to get them ready for the season and cut somebody later if Poe is ok.

Archived