Chris Conley remains out of Chiefs training camp

We're only a week into the Kansas City Chiefs 2015 training camp but already it feels like Chris Conley's chances of contributing early in the season are withering away. Conley suffered what Andy Reid called a knee strain on July 29. The Chiefs have practiced all but one day since then but Conley has missed them all. Five full squad practices doesn't seem like a lot until you note that the Chiefs only have 14 total practices during camp.

The Chiefs rookie receiver needed a big camp to pass Albert Wilson on the depth chart. The already long odds seem longer a week into camp. A veteran player could overcome a week or more of missed practices easier than someone like Conley, who is entering his first year in an offense that is notoriously difficult for receivers to learn. Albert Wilson is an example of someone who took most of the season to begin to show what he can do.

This wouldn't be as frustrating if Conley hadn't shown what he was capable of in OTAs. The Chiefs got a glimpse of him in shorts and they apparently liked what they saw. They also liked what they saw on special teams as a potential return man -- until he got hurt.

"It's really too bad that Chris Conley got hurt," Chiefs special teams coordinator Toub said this week. "I really thought coming out of mini camps that he was going to be a guy, at least as a kick returner, that would be able to push Knile (Davis). I hope he gets back sooner than later ..."

I'm not sure when Conley will be back. He still has time to recover and turn in a good preseason and make his push for playing time. The clock is ticking though. The Chiefs first preseason game is a week from today.

He has a history of being hurt. This was one reason he fell in the draft. If it works out, that would be nice. He has good size, jumping ability, speed, and is pretty smart. Wilson is the guy I  think has the most chance of working next to Maclin. Conley could be good, but he has to stay healthy. 

I've read some pretty uptempo things about the kid.   Hope he works out.

Pederson said he’s still confident in WR Chris Conley’s knowledge of the playbook despite him missing time due to a knee injury.

“Working with Chris Conley, he's a very smart individual,” Pederson said. “He's a very smart football player. He really knows our system well already. He's getting mental reps; I've challenged him here and they’re just talking to him on the sideline or whatever … We're not going to rush him, our medical team is going to make sure that he's 100 percent when we throw him back on the field.”

Knee strain shouldn't be a big deal.  Without ligament damage, its like having a little bruise under the cartilage.  He should have a quick rehab time, unless we are not being told something. Ice the first day, then a few days of heat. Gosh...time in the hot tub.  That's sure something to worry about. HIs biggest concern is not having a babe in there with him. There were no reports of even sending him for an MRI, so the staff cannot be too concerned. If we hear about an MRI in several days, then we can be a little more concerned.  This kid is eventually going to be our #2, once he learns all the routes.  A few substitution appearances and some ST work this year, then next year, look out.

Chiefs WR Chris Conley (knee) returned to practice Monday.
Conley was working with the second team. He certainly has the natural tools to win snaps opposite Jeremy Maclin, but is a poor fit with Alex Smith. Albert Wilson remains the favorite to win the No. 2 wid

Rotoword Writers are very negative on Smith and Chiefs in general. Really stupid analysis comment. Not a good fit with Smith?

Chiefs WR Chris Conley (knee) returned to practice Monday.

Conley was working with the second team. He certainly has the natural tools to win snaps opposite Jeremy Maclin, but is a poor fit with Alex Smith. Albert Wilson remains the favorite to win the No. 2 wid

Rotoword Writers are very negative on Smith and Chiefs in general. Really stupid analysis comment. Not a good fit with Smith?

Not a good fit with Smith means that he is slow, runs sloppy routes, or can't get separation, relies on jump balls and has a case of the dropsies. He's had WRs who don't fit him - it'll be nice to have a WR who does with Macklin.

Not a good fit with Smith means that he is slow, runs sloppy routes, or can't get separation, relies on jump balls and has a case of the dropsies. He's had WRs who don't fit him - it'll be nice to have a WR who does with Macklin.

Well we know he ain't slow and I haven't seen any negative analysis on his route running. I think the comment is based on him being a deep threat and Smith not having the arm to get it there. We gone see.

Well we know he ain't slow and I haven't seen any negative analysis on his route running. I think the comment is based on him being a deep threat and Smith not having the arm to get it there. We gone see.

I agree.  A bunch of shallow sports writers who parrot what they hear from other shallow sports writers.  Alex has a fine deep ball. He just has never had the protection or the receivers and is averse to throw INT's.  If a guy can get separation deep, Alex will throw and hit him more often than not.  These writers know nothing really.  They just regurgitate what other sports writers say, who only look at TD's by wide receivers.  Conley needs a year to learn all the complex routes in Reid's game.  He's strong and can fight guys for the ball, probably in traffic, once he knows the routes without having to think about them. I think he will be like Bowe when he was at his best, but with better hands.

Remember the school yard play just go deep? Well send these guys on that fly pattern and watch the middle open for Kelce and Charles. We have several guys that can flat our fly. I agree GIve Smith some time and he will hit some of these. 

Smith can get the ball anywhere on the field if there is separation and anticipation and protection. Where he can't get the deep ball is where he has to get there quickly because of protection or because of little separation. Technically, also with a new receiver where there can't be as good of anticipation due to the chemistry issues. These are common to some degree with most quarterbacks.

I agree. A bunch of shallow sports writers who parrot what they hear from other shallow sports writers. Alex has a fine deep ball. He just has never had the protection or the receivers and is averse to throw INT's. If a guy can get separation deep, Alex will throw and hit him more often than not. These writers know nothing really. They just regurgitate what other sports writers say, who only look at TD's by wide receivers. Conley needs a year to learn all the complex routes in Reid's game. He's strong and can fight guys for the ball, probably in traffic, once he knows the routes without having to think about them. I think he will be like Bowe when he was at his best, but with better hands.

Another thing with Smith's deep ball is that because he avoids interceptions, he will overthrow a ball on purpose if he doesn't think it's a successful play. People see that and say wow he's so off! He's not great at it by any means, but it's overstated.

Yep. Read between the lines

Yep. Read between the lines

Hmm? Is this comment regarding me, Gil, or the journalists? My original comment reply to him was in regard to people saying someone's not a fit for the wrong reasons. I was saying that if Conley is fast, gets separation, and runs routes well, then there isn't a receiver who doesn't fit with Smith unless there are protection problems.

talk today on the Radio is that  the west coast offense is a bit more complicated than most people believe and altho supposedly a sharp kid he is behind. He needs to make plays in practice before being allowed to make plays in games. Rookies make mistakes. It could be that Andy does not think this team is good enough to weather the types of mistakes early on that this kid will undoubtedly make.. sounds to me like a viable opinion.

I think it is a stupid comment.  He is on the second team because he is a rook who hasn't practiced.  Fitting the QB has nothing to do with it.  Even if he was healthy, it would be a fight to beat out Wilson.  Let the kid develop. 

Hurray for fights for starting jobs.  How long has it been since the Chiefs had a legitimate contest to be #2 WR?  Add DAT and Kelce plus throws to the RBs and the Chiefs have plenty of weapons IF the O-line comes together.

talk today on the Radio is that  the west coast offense is a bit more complicated than most people believe and altho supposedly a sharp kid he is behind. He needs to make plays in practice before being allowed to make plays in games. Rookies make mistakes. It could be that Andy does not think this team is good enough to weather the types of mistakes early on that this kid will undoubtedly make.. sounds to me like a viable opinion.

He is apparently a very brainy kid, but it still takes "muscle memory" for routes run and defensive schemes read, for it to become automatic without that half second delay of thinking.  It is possible, but I have a hard time believing that Conley could be ready to execute Reid's schemes as a starting #2 WR while a rookie .  I hope I'm wrong, but I think he is unlikely to break out until the following season. As Diehard says, we still have enough weapons if the O-line gels and Kelce does not get injured.  Even with that, it sounds like Charcandrik West could be a passing or running weapon as a sub in an emergency, and no one would be watching him.  He could be sprung and be a complete surprise to defenses at opportune moments.  Reid seems to have a feel for picking those moments.

He is apparently a very brainy kid, but it still takes "muscle memory" for routes run and defensive schemes read, for it to become automatic without that half second delay of thinking.  It is possible, but I have a hard time believing that Conley could be ready to execute Reid's schemes as a starting #2 WR while a rookie .  I hope I'm wrong, but I think he is unlikely to break out until the following season. As Diehard says, we still have enough weapons if the O-line gels and Kelce does not get injured.  Even with that, it sounds like Charcandrik West could be a passing or running weapon as a sub in an emergency, and no one would be watching him.  He could be sprung and be a complete surprise to defenses at opportune moments.  Reid seems to have a feel for picking those moments.

I've been saying West is the second best to Charles, and I think it will be proved true. Davis has the potential for big plays, but so does West. West is going to be more versatile. He runs wide receiver routes. He has very good hands. He can catch the ball, and he makes big plays. It is becoming to come together. The Chiefs have a very good trio of backs. 

The WCO is arguably the hardest offense to learn, which is probably why it fell out if popularity when Free Agency got popular and teams had to rely more on rookies and younger players.

Even Reid eventually gave up on it in Philly.

Hmm? Is this comment regarding me, Gil, or the journalists? My original comment reply to him was in regard to people saying someone's not a fit for the wrong reasons. I was saying that if Conley is fast, gets separation, and runs routes well, then there isn't a receiver who doesn't fit with Smith unless there are protection problems.

No. Towards the half ass journalism.

Archived