Cairo Santos

Any worries about a sophomore slump? Extra point is at the 35 yard line this year. In practice he kicked 7 of 10 PATs.

I thought he just missed one but read he hit a 64 yarder "without much effort." 7/10 is bad, I don't care if they pushed it back. And why were there only 10 attempts anyway? Was there a defense? If there was a defense, then I could see just 10, but still, 7, maybe without a defense? Arghhh!!!

I think there is a valid concern or Toub would not have discussed it. It is Toub's job to care about these details. He would be negligent to ignore it. Santos did a lot of weight lifting in the off season. Reid joked about his increased muscle mass. That is all good, but it could have interfered with his muscle memory, which is essential for accurate kicks. In that he is getting an extra 5 yards on the kicks, one would have to say the extra muscle mass is a real thing. 

Only time will tell. It would not be the first time coaches talked a player into changing something, and it screwed everything up. 

Santos started off weak last year before settling into a groove.  He can kick longer than Succop could, and with the new rules, that will be crucial. He is a unique talent.  Too much worrying.

Worrying is a requirement for football fans.  We have had a special reason since the playoff following the 1995 season.  :angry:

I think the thing people choose to ignore is Succop made under 80% of his kicks the last season in KC. A sub 80% kicker on a contract above league minimum factors poorly in thr Chiefs moneyball formula.

Succop had a better season last year, but he wasn't asked to do as many longer attempts. Santos is shaky, but he had a better avg in 2014 vs Succop in 13 and at a much cheaper salary.

Worrying is a requirement for football fans.  We have had a special reason since the playoff following the 1995 season.  :angry:

You're right.  If we all worry hard enough, things will change around.  "The power of positive worrying".

Sorry but the kid seems shaky to me. With PATs now at the 35 yard line, we need to pay a lot of attention to our kicker and not just an after thought.

I guarantee you, the kid is better than Succop.  He was hitting long ones with good accuracy the last 5 weeks of the season.  Anyway, all teams are in the same situation with their placekickers and the new rules.  There will be more two point plays, also.  I believe in Santos at 40 yards and longer.  Last year, he was 7 of 10 between 40-49 yards. He was 1 out of 2 from greater than 50 yards, which is usually a desperation situation with the game on the line. The kid has a very cool head and a short memory. And he did especially well in the cold.  He put on some muscle in his legs in the offseason, so his range will likely be better than last year.  True, I thought he kicked pretty short on kickoffs compared to the league average and didn't get many touchbacks, but they were high kicks and gave our guys time to get down there before the returner could get any momentum. It seemed like it was pretty infrequent that teams started past the 30.  Usually, they started around the 20-25.

Archived