I Believe THIS is the Chiefs O-Line

Guest Formerdb

Guest Formerdb

Wsup Peeps!

Fisher-Grubbs-Morse-Fulton-Allen

I've watched a cumulative 90 seconds of training camp video, most of which was not the o-line.

My knowledge of individual performances is based on the web sources who are keeping us in the loop; which makes me want to throw up for not being there creating my own reports. 

However, I don't need to be there to form this opinion based on what the coaches are doing.

Anyway, the o-line is the most important unit in my opinion, for two reasons: it sucked last year and theoretically, it's the first unit, the first block in building a football team.

Having said that, any talk by Andy Reid or Doug Pederson, about trying guys out, experimenting with different combinations is true - - up to a point.

The o-line, more than any other unit, needs chemistry, cohesiveness, seamless communication and blind trust.

It only happens with live bullets, battling other teams,  not intrasquad practices, against teammates you know like your brother.

Given the state of the o-line performance last year, the new unit will need as much time as possible to  test their viability in live competition and morph into a decent unit.

The first string unit needs as much time as time will allow, beginning with the first preseason game and ending with the last.

I just don't believe that a newly formed, first string o-line unit can reasonably develop the unique chemistry it needs by switching in and out during the preseason.  Consistency is needed at the start of the preseason.

The fact that the Chiefs are using the  Fisher-Grubbs-Morse-Fulton-Allen combo this late in the week, right up against the first preseason game, suggests this will be the first team o-line for the foreseeable future...unless one or more of the players comes up short. 

If Kush was an absolute starter like Grubbs or Fisher, he'd still be in there, not Morse.  

If Allen was an absolute lights out guard ( I think he blows), he would remain there and not Fulton (although I hear Fulton is raping d-linemen and laughing about it).

It sounds like Morse is an upgrade over Kush, Allen isn't as dominant as Fulton at the right guard spot and Stephenson is the weaker option between himself, Allen and the other backups.

Simply...I just think all the talk of experimenting is gas.

That portion of training camp is done in my opinion.

I think the coaches are leaning on the Fisher-Grubbs-Morse-Fulton-Allen combo as their first string o-line unit.

"Swing Tackle"? - - Wilkie in Speedos

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wsup Peeps!

I've watched a cumulative 90 seconds of training camp video, most of which was not the o-line.

My knowledge of individual performances is based on the web sources who are keeping us in the loop; which makes me want to throw up for not being there creating my own reports. 

However, I don't need to be there to form this opinion based on what the coaches are doing.

Anyway, the o-line is the most important unit in my opinion, for two reasons: it sucked last year and theoretically, it's the first unit, the first block in building a football team.

Having said that, any talk by Andy Reid or Doug Pederson, about trying guys out, experimenting with different combinations is true - - up to a point.

The o-line, more than any other unit, needs chemistry, cohesiveness, seamless communication and blind trust.

It only happens with live bullets, battling other teams,  not intrasquad practices, against teammates you know like your brother.

Given the state of the o-line performance last year, the new unit will need as much time as possible to  test their viability in live competition and morph into a decent unit.

The first string unit needs as much time as time will allow, beginning with the first preseason game and ending with the last.

I just don't believe that a newly formed, first string o-line unit can reasonably develop the unique chemistry it needs by switching in and out during the preseason.  Consistency is needed at the start of the preseason.

The fact that the Chiefs are using the  Fisher-Grubbs-Morse-Fulton-Allen combo this late in the week, right up against the first preseason game, suggests this will be the first team o-line for the foreseeable future...unless one or more of the players comes up short. 

If Kush was an absolute starter like Grubbs or Fisher, he'd still be in there, not Morse.  

If Allen was an absolute lights out guard ( I think he blows), he would remain there and not Fulton (although I hear Fulton is raping d-linemen and laughing about it).

It sounds like Morse is an upgrade over Kush, Allen isn't as dominant as Fulton at the right guard spot and Stephenson is the weaker option between himself, Allen and the other backups.

I think the coaches are leaning on the Fisher-Grubbs-Morse-Fulton-Allen combo as their first string o-line unit.

Thanks.  There had to be a reason Kush never saw the field. 

Glad to see you back on the board, Formerdb.  I agree with your analysis.  Kush was penciled in from the end of last season and to see Morse working with the first unit may indicate Kush didn't measure up.  Of course, we could hope that Morse is playing that well.

Not sure about the deletion of Kush.  Smith was really talking up Kush in an interview and said he was very smart and a leader and good director of the line. He had a lot of reps as Hudson's backup in practices last year and knows Reid's offense extremely well.  He is a student of the game. Smith said he is very confident in him.  Either Smith is lying or is under orders to talk him up in advance of a trade.  Morse is the future center but not the present.  How is he supposed to direct the line and call signals to them?  He doesn't even really know them yet.  Chemistry is everything on the line. Now watch me be dead wrong.

Not sure about the deletion of Kush.  Smith was really talking up Kush in an interview and said he was very smart and a leader and good director of the line. He had a lot of reps as Hudson's backup in practices last year and knows Reid's offense extremely well.  He is a student of the game. Smith said he is very confident in him.  Either Smith is lying or is under orders to talk him up in advance of a trade.  Morse is the future center but not the present.  How is he supposed to direct the line and call signals to them?  He doesn't even really know them yet.  Chemistry is everything on the line. Now watch me be dead wrong.

You always talk up your teammates, even if you have to stretch for compliments.

Until now, most of the questions concerning the offensive line and who will make the 53-man roster have revolved around the guard and tackle spots. Bear in mind that Kush is unlikely to play anywhere but center. If Kush and Morse tie for the center spot and any of the remaining players would be able to play as a second-string center, Kush would be the most expendable offensive lineman on the roster.

I don't believe in that. Sure it needs to be better than the tire fire performance logged last year, but you don't need an all pro line to win.

Alex Smith and the receivers need to start making opposing Defenses commit guys to the back end of the field and open up the intermediate area.

Skill position guys gotta step up on Offense.

Wsup Peeps!

Once a year you have to do that. My challenge to race you still stands

Great report by formerdb. 

I wondered if LDT would be cut this year. I know it isn't the same as playing on the line, but I was watching the one on ones, and I thought LDT was killing it. The man has athletic ability, strength, and size. I have him backing up Grubbs at LG, and it will be real close for him to make this team. I think he sticks, but you never know. Stephenson looked slack out there to me. It just seemed he was going through the motions. I know it was just one on ones. Occasionally, he would stick out those long arms, and stone the opponent. I just don't get him. He is not my favorite player on the team, and I have made that clear on occasion. He frustrates me because I can see the size, and talent. He should be much better. I think he will get cut. That is a shame. Fanaika is third team at LG, and probably that at RG. He was given $8 M to come to KC. Could the eight million dollar man be cut this year? I doubt it, but he doesn't seem to be worth the money they gave up. 

Great report by formerdb. 

I wondered if LDT would be cut this year. I know it isn't the same as playing on the line, but I was watching the one on ones, and I thought LDT was killing it. The man has athletic ability, strength, and size. I have him backing up Grubbs at LG, and it will be real close for him to make this team. I think he sticks, but you never know. Stephenson looked slack out there to me. It just seemed he was going through the motions. I know it was just one on ones. Occasionally, he would stick out those long arms, and stone the opponent. I just don't get him. He is not my favorite player on the team, and I have made that clear on occasion. He frustrates me because I can see the size, and talent. He should be much better. I think he will get cut. That is a shame. Fanaika is third team at LG, and probably that at RG. He was given $8 M to come to KC. Could the eight million dollar man be cut this year? I doubt it, but he doesn't seem to be worth the money they gave up. 

None of those guys excite me. Dime a dozen.

I can't believe Allen is better than Stephenson. What happened to that guy?

I wondered what the excitement was over Stephenson in the first place. He never seemed to stand out to me.  Maybe he just looked good last year in comparison with the rest of the O-line.  I have always thought of him as a decent second string tackle on a team that has a good O-line. BTW, didn't Allen come into the league as a tackle and was tried at guard as a necessity? I seem to recall that he was a tackle in college.

Stephenson has the talent, but he seems to have lacked the discipline, and desire. Allen is the opposite. If you could take the best attributes of both guys, you might have a pretty good player. 

Opposites do not always make sense.  For example, most people find that when they drink coffee, they can't sleep.  I'm just the opposite.  When I sleep, I can't drink coffee.

The only thing that is sensible is that Allen can be a much better tackle than Stephenson.  Desire and hard work is more important than all the talent in the world.

Opposites do not always make sense.  For example, most people find that when they drink coffee, they can't sleep.  I'm just the opposite.  When I sleep, I can't drink coffee.

I don't drive and sleep very well. 

I wondered what the excitement was over Stephenson in the first place. He never seemed to stand out to me.  Maybe he just looked good last year in comparison with the rest of the O-line.  I have always thought of him as a decent second string tackle on a team that has a good O-line. BTW, didn't Allen come into the league as a tackle and was tried at guard as a necessity? I seem to recall that he was a tackle in college.

I think you're right.  Allen played both LT and RT at Illinois and as far as I could find, he never played guard.  When the draft rankings came out, though, he was listed as a guard.

He didn't really play last year.  Where he made a name for himself was taking over for an injured Brandon Albert at LT for 5 or 6 games awhile back.  There was not much drop off form Albert to Stephenson which says alot.  That is very impressive for a backup and made me think we had found a solid Tackle.

The only thing that is sensible is that Allen can be a much better tackle than Stephenson.  Desire and hard work is more important than all the talent in the world.

Well, I hope he does better at RT than he did at LG.  Dude got blown up on a regular basis.  Although, in fairness, I thinkg that was his rookie year when he did the worst.

Archived