We always worry about rookies getting experience before they become effective.  But the Chiefs inserted Flowers and Carr from the beginning IIRC, and they didn't get owned that much.  Peters and even Nelson could add a lot from the beginning and will grow up fast while Smith is on suspension.

We always worry about rookies getting experience before they become effective.  But the Chiefs inserted Flowers and Carr from the beginning IIRC, and they didn't get owned that much.  Peters and even Nelson could add a lot from the beginning and will grow up fast while Smith is on suspension.

Lol you must not remember Carr sucking as a rookie and it being capped off with Steve Smith trucking him like a bitch

Lol you must not remember Carr sucking as a rookie and it being capped off with Steve Smith trucking him like a bitch

He played very well from the start. Guys get owned sometimes. There is 16 games, not just one. Seriously dude, Steve Smith? He has owned Pro Bowlers.

The secondary seems to be better this year than in past years of memory. Sean Smith is a top ten cornerback. Gaines started very slow, but picked up the game quicker than I though possible. He started the year as maybe in the top 100 corners, but ended closer to mid level for second corners on a team. I would rate him around 50 overall at the end of the year. If his progress continues, he could be a top  thirty corner this year. Marcus Peters is being bragged on early. My issue with him (other than the short temper) is his speed. I think that will continue to plague him. Most top corners have 4.4 to low 4.5 speed. Richard Sherman and Brent Grimes are examples of players who have succeeded despite slower times. Peters need great anticipation, and to learn to swivel his hips quickly in order to keep up with the speedier receivers. I fully expect him to be burnt a lot this year. How he reacts is what will matter. 

From Peters' pro day:

"Peters didn't endeavor to improve on the 4.53 40-yard dash he ran at the combine, focusing on cornerback drills led by coaches from the Saints' and Steelers' staffs. He exhibited a crazy-good backpedal (Peters runs as quickly backward as some players do forward) and he was very flexible when turning his hips to cover. Perhaps the most startling aspect of Peters' skill set is his closing speed, which shows up on tape and which was even more readily apparent a few feet away in person."

Archived