Went to Training Camp Today, My Observations

Chiefs Training Camp up to August 12, 2015

Offense:

One of my concerns with the offense is the offensive line. The left side with Grubbs and Fisher appear to be solid. The right side though is absolutely pitiful. In O-Line drills, the right side of the O-Line was constantly getting beat. They are trying out different players in these right side positions, but they appear to be getting beat each and every time.Charles and Davis appear to be a good tandem of running backs. Charles is just as good as he has been over the years and Knile Davis is definitely improving as a running back behind Charles. The wide receivers are looking decent. Maclin is making plays as expected, and the other ones seem to have improved. The tight ends are doing just as good as the receivers are as well. With these new guys at wide receiver, Smith may be a little more open this year to bigger plays. He still dumps the ball off a lot, but he seems to be gaining trust for the other guys to go up and get the ball.

Defense:

The defense appeared to be solid. There were two interceptions made by the veteran safeties Eric Berry and Tyvon Branch. The corners were playing well on the wide receivers as well. They forced the quarterbacks to make some bad decisions that ended up in an interception or an incomplete pass. When it came to stopping the run, the defense was able to stuff the running backs up the middle every time. However, they concern me when it comes to stopping the run game to the outside. They got beat on almost every run play to the outside that Smith called. This is an area the Chiefs will need to improve in when they come to face running backs that like to play the outside. The pass rush looked decent. Because it was training camp, the pressure was down a little bit, but Hali and Houston appeared to be able to withstand the pass blocking.

Special Teams:

Santos today only missed one field goal. Most of the field goals that he attempted were between 40 and 55 yards. He made all of them except for one which curved to miss. This is Santos's main problem with his field goals, his curves. Punting looked as good as ever with Colquitt. Most of his punts went at least 50 yards. DAT looked really good too. He had returns that he could have taken back for extra yards if it wasn't in training camp. It looks to be another great year for the special teams unit.

So these are the things that I noticed during todays camp. It was a pretty solid day for the most part, but the offensive line needs to improve as well as the defense's ability to stop the run. We will be able to learn more about what everyone on the team can do on Saturday the 15 when the Chiefs go on the road to Arizona to play the Cardinals in their first preseason game of the 2015 season.

Sad to hear they still have problems on the right side of the line. I am not surprised. I still believe the Chiefs will try to add a player at RG.

Thanks for your input. You did a really good job. Its nice to read your report.

IF and that's a big IF and not expecting a gunslinger, but IF Smith is going to air it out, do you show it against vanilla D to serve notice that teams have to prepare for it and gain confidence/practice or trust the off-season reps, gameplan, personnel, hide it and use it first in the season when it counts (but the non-deep passes are harder to complete)?

IF and that's a big IF and not expecting a gunslinger, but IF Smith is going to air it out, do you show it against vanilla D to serve notice that teams have to prepare for it and gain confidence/practice or trust the off-season reps, gameplan, personnel, hide it and use it first in the season when it counts (but the non-deep passes are harder to complete)?

Here we go. THE VANILLA CONVERSATION... :wacko: There are no secrets in the NFL.

Here we go. THE VANILLA CONVERSATION... :wacko: There are no secrets in the NFL.

Capability wise, there are no secrets. People know Smith CAN go deep (but will he be looking for it?), and they know Maclin (but will he be used in that way?), but there's a little bit of gamesmanship/game planning. Vanilla is a real thing, no matter how little you want to hear about it. But do you go outside of that to get practice and show what you want to do (going against last season's identity is different than vanilla)?

I hope the Chiefs do whatever it is to get them one step better for the real season. I don't care if they win the game. I would like a good showing, no injuries, and a sign that the team is on its way. It is nice to win games, but the wins are best done when they actually count for something. 

There are a few young players I am looking forward to seeing Saturday. I want to see how Peters responds, if the Cardinals go deep. I think that is the biggest issue with Peters. He has great technique, but he is not exactly fast. If he lets a receiver get behind him, it could be a quick 6. The Chiefs have to protect Peters over the top, when the games count. For now, I would rather they let him be tested. 

I want to see how Grubbs improves the LG position, and if Fisher is up to the task of being the LT. Morse seems to have taken Kush's job. I want to see how he does at Center. I am definitely interested in seeing how the right side responds. Allen evidently has beaten Stephenson. If Stephenson falls behind further, he might not make the team. I am not sold on Zach Fulton. I think he gives really good effort, but I don't believe he is athletic enough to start. I want to make him prove me wrong. 

I want to see Charcandrick West take a few hand offs. I think he has an overall better game than Davis. I hear Davis has improved. I want to see that. I want to see how much this offense is different with Maclin rather than Bowe at WR. I want to see if Wilson can improve on last year, and be a legit NFL starter. Mauga may be hurt, I want to see the next man up. The Chiefs drafted Ramik Wilson to compete with Mauga. I want to see how he competes there. I haven't heard much about Alexander so far, and I want to see how the Chiefs utilize him. Nunez-Rochez looks to be a handful. I want to see him in action. Somebody is going to have to fill the void left by Poe. I want to see how the Chiefs utilize DeVito, Howard, or Fangupo at NT. I want to see if Catapano is as good as the players say he is. 

I am excited to see the Chiefs play their first preseason game. I am sure it will not rise to the level of expectation I have built up in my own head. I always seem to do this every year. I tell myself not to get too excited about preseason games. However, when the game comes around, I can't help but have high hopes. Those hopes never live up to expectations. After all a preseason game always seems to disappoint. In any case, this is a true sign the NFL season is just around the corner. The doldrums of winter, and inactivity of Spring have given way to summer. Fall is just around the corner, and it is always a new year.  

One of my concerns with the offense is the offensive line. The left side with Grubbs and Fisher appear to be solid. The right side though is absolutely pitiful. In O-Line drills, the right side of the O-Line was constantly getting beat. They are trying out different players in these right side positions, but they appear to be getting beat each and every time.

Do you have a count for "constantly"? Surely you're not talking about every play, but are we talking about every other play, or every third play? Also, does that line seem to be giving up A-gap blitzes? Those are the ones that you absolutely can't have.

It was not on every single play, but there were a lot of reps in O-Line practice where the right side let the defense just go right by them. One thing I should've said was that it was a lot harder for Charles to find a hole on the right side in 11-on-11 drills, but he found it almost every time on the right side. Charles had to go way outside in order to make any play on the right side of the O-Line.

Chiefs Training Camp up to August 12, 2015

Offense:

One of my concerns with the offense is the offensive line. The left side with Grubbs and Fisher appear to be solid. The right side though is absolutely pitiful. In O-Line drills, the right side of the O-Line was constantly getting beat. They are trying out different players in these right side positions, but they appear to be getting beat each and every time.Charles and Davis appear to be a good tandem of running backs. Charles is just as good as he has been over the years and Knile Davis is definitely improving as a running back behind Charles. The wide receivers are looking decent. Maclin is making plays as expected, and the other ones seem to have improved. The tight ends are doing just as good as the receivers are as well. With these new guys at wide receiver, Smith may be a little more open this year to bigger plays. He still dumps the ball off a lot, but he seems to be gaining trust for the other guys to go up and get the ball.

Defense:

The defense appeared to be solid. There were two interceptions made by the veteran safeties Eric Berry and Tyvon Branch. The corners were playing well on the wide receivers as well. They forced the quarterbacks to make some bad decisions that ended up in an interception or an incomplete pass. When it came to stopping the run, the defense was able to stuff the running backs up the middle every time. However, they concern me when it comes to stopping the run game to the outside. They got beat on almost every run play to the outside that Smith called. This is an area the Chiefs will need to improve in when they come to face running backs that like to play the outside. The pass rush looked decent. Because it was training camp, the pressure was down a little bit, but Hali and Houston appeared to be able to withstand the pass blocking.

Special Teams:

Santos today only missed one field goal. Most of the field goals that he attempted were between 40 and 55 yards. He made all of them except for one which curved to miss. This is Santos's main problem with his field goals, his curves. Punting looked as good as ever with Colquitt. Most of his punts went at least 50 yards. DAT looked really good too. He had returns that he could have taken back for extra yards if it wasn't in training camp. It looks to be another great year for the special teams unit.

So these are the things that I noticed during todays camp. It was a pretty solid day for the most part, but the offensive line needs to improve as well as the defense's ability to stop the run. We will be able to learn more about what everyone on the team can do on Saturday the 15 when the Chiefs go on the road to Arizona to play the Cardinals in their first preseason game of the 2015 season.

Great job JR. Nice report.

Right side of the oline is STILL a problem. Can't improve everywhere. Dorsey needs to be checking waiver wire for a right guard. Allen might be okat at right tackle. What happened to Stephenson?

I think RT is maybe a bigger issue than RG. Its close. The Chiefs will be expected to improve that position next year, if not sooner. 

Archived