Exhibition Wins ....... Lets win

This year: I would like to see KC win these games. Focus on evaluating is important. Setting a wining attitude from day one is also very important for a team that is trying to get to the next level. Looking for toughness and aggressive play. Lets win!

I really dont want the vanilla conversation to keep KC from winning. After all doesnt every team go vanilla? Maybe try butter pecan.

I do understand that exhibition wins are not important other than winning creates a winning expectation. So why not win?

This year: I would like to see KC win these games. Focus on evaluating is important. Setting a wining attitude from day one is also very important for a team that is trying to get to the next level. Looking for toughness and aggressive play. Lets win!

I really dont want the vanilla conversation to keep KC from winning. After all doesnt every team go vanilla? Maybe try butter pecan.

I do understand that exhibition wins are not important other than winning creates a winning expectation. So why not win?

I know you hate the term vanilla, but as much as I hate hearing about taxes, it's a very real thing. I only care about what helps us win regular season and playoff games and the future. Winning in the preseason is not going to set any winning tone, as the 0-16 Lions went 4-0 in the preseason; I've heard of 0-4 or 1-3 preseason teams winning the SB before.

Evaluating positions, slotting depth, and getting rookies to run core but vanilla aspects of your offense is a confidence booster. These things help this year, the next season, the draft, and in case of injury. In fact, avoiding injury from not going for the win (starters playing two quarters instead of 1) is more important.

The Saints blitzed every time in 2012 first preseason game and that could have gotten someone injured from their opponent. Getting aggressive in a preseason game may drive opponents to become too aggressive that way, too. Don't play scared and run an offense, but preseason is for more than winning.

Having said that, I would love to win playing for evaluation and rust-breaking. We should try some things against a different defense and it's not all a secret, but focus should not be on winning.

For the 1's, I like to see something similar to the Reg senson play calling, but for the backups? I don't want any trickery. I want to see you on the guy in front of you and if you win. I don't want to see if the OC can beat the other team's DC.

That said, once the 1's are out. Who wins is not what I am looking at. It's to see a guy fighting his ass off for a chance to be a professional football player. The pressure must be ridiculous. You at poorly and the dream you worked for since 6th grade Pop Warner is gone. Nate Echam. No talent but a heart the size of a Mac truck.

It was nice to see the depth dominate for once. Still dont know why teams are so afraid to play their first units a little longer. Injuries can occur anytime anywhere. Ive seen KC play horrible 1st quarters then settle in and put up points. So no worries so far.

Meh. Preseason is fools gold. There is no correlation between winning in preseason and winning in the regular season. Never has been, never will. It doesn't create a winning culture. Often it is only a sign of having a deeper roster than the other team or having better backup qb's. So any weeping or gnashing of teeth is pointless and rather stupid.

I always hope they're competitive in any game and in that way this was a nice game. But I gave up trying to extrapolate the regular season from the preseason a long time ago. It just doesn't work. Hell, chase Daniel looked like the next Tom Brady in there. Doesn't mean he is.

I think there is value in preseason games if you're willing to ignore the result and the points and just look at the individual battles.

I've said what I've wanted to say about Alex, so moving on.

Dee Ford is still the same one trick pony. Has the same one move that worked a little, but he also spent a lot of time in the ground. Not promising.

Our Canadian offensive guard guy will be a very key player to have if any guards go down.

Stephenson played fine in his time and should fill in well as a swing guy.

PFF had the line grades at around average, which seems to match up what I saw well.

West is definitely making the final roster. Chiefs will probably carry 6 WRs; one of them will not be Hemmingway and Avant needs to make a lasting impression on STs to be one of the 6.

DJ and DeVito looked like themselves and will be assets in helping plup up the run.

Flemming looked not good so hope Peters is ready to take over

Knile Davis blew a pick up on the INT and Travis Kelce had a huge whiff.

Marsh whiffed pretty badly on a tackle, but also had some nice plays. This kid is gonna land a spot and be a nickel player.

Sanders Commings should of been on the trading block instead of playing a large amount of snaps.

The cut to 53 is gonna be real hard.

• 2 weeks later...

This quote from Pederson basically states what we've been saying:

“We play a bunch of guys in the preseason and it’s an evaluation process,” Pederson said. “That’s what the preseason’s for and we go out to win every game; regular season, preseason, postseason, whatever it is. We coach to win every game. However, preseason is a little different because it’s the evaluation process.”

http://www.chiefsdigest.com/chiefs-starters-expected-to-play-into-third-quarter-friday-night/

I know you hate the term vanilla, but as much as I hate hearing about taxes, it's a very real thing. I only care about what helps us win regular season and playoff games and the future. Winning in the preseason is not going to set any winning tone, as the 0-16 Lions went 4-0 in the preseason; I've heard of 0-4 or 1-3 preseason teams winning the SB before.

And does anyone remember who the last team Detroit beat before going on that historic 0-16 season? If you guessed the Kansas City Chiefs you get a cookie :)

Having Conley return that punt from the end zone told me all I needed to know.

Reid and Co. are all about evaluations first and foremost, winning is a "nice to have' in the preseason.

w

When you are young, you don't realize that sometimes what you don't do can make a good impression. He would've made a better impression to fair catch it and get a touchback. But I think with this limited time out there, he felt that he had to take it out to show what he could do.

I actually think that him trying to return it, contributed to Murray not getting a pass in the game. Taking over at the 1 or 2 yard line in a one point game is not going to lend to many opportunities to pass the ball. Of course, he could say screw the win and let's evaluate, but he throws a pick six there, it just leaves a bad taste in his mouth and little opportunity to make up for it. It would be better to do that in the third preseason game because you would play a lot more in the fourth game.

Of course, if Conley had returned it for a touchdown, I'm sure Reid would still have said something to him about the wisdom of getting the touchback in that situation. I know it's preseason, but if you are evaluating and you have a chance to win, you try to win and when we are up by one point you don't risk a safety or a turnover, even if a touchdown or a big return would lead to a bigger win. The fans, of course, would be very excited and project high things.

It's a balance of risk and reward. Just don't fumble the damn ball in the championship game. If the ball is bouncing toward you and you're not going to field it, run the hell away from it. If you have a fumble earlier in the game, secure the damn ball when you get tackled.

When you are young, you don't realize that sometimes what you don't do can make a good impression. He would've made a better impression to fair catch it and get a touchback. But I think with this limited time out there, he felt that he had to take it out to show what he could do.

I actually think that him trying to return it, contributed to Murray not getting a pass in the game. Taking over at the 1 or 2 yard line in a one point game is not going to lend to many opportunities to pass the ball. Of course, he could say screw the win and let's evaluate, but he throws a pick six there, it just leaves a bad taste in his mouth and little opportunity to make up for it. It would be better to do that in the third preseason game because you would play a lot more in the fourth game.

Of course, if Conley had returned it for a touchdown, I'm sure Reid would still have said something to him about the wisdom of getting the touchback in that situation. I know it's preseason, but if you are evaluating and you have a chance to win, you try to win and when we are up by one point you don't risk a safety or a turnover, even if a touchdown or a big return would lead to a bigger win. The fans, of course, would be very excited and project high things.

It's a balance of risk and reward. Just don't fumble the damn ball in the championship game. If the ball is bouncing toward you and you're not going to field it, run the hell away from it. If you have a fumble earlier in the game, secure the damn ball when you get tackled.

Conley apparently had specific instructions to run back the punt no matter the field position.  If he didn't, then Reid took a lot of heat for him because he stated in his presser that the above fact is true.  Conley seemed to hesitate, probably knowing that it was foolish to attempt to return the punt.

Conley apparently had specific instructions to run back the punt no matter the field position. If he didn't, then Reid took a lot of heat for him because he stated in his presser that the above fact is true. Conley seemed to hesitate, probably knowing that it was foolish to attempt to return the punt.

Ok, thanks for the info, I guess I wish he didn't hesitate then and glad he didn't get hurt.

Archived