Flowers and Houston no shows at OTA

85 of 90 players attend the first "voluntary" OTA today.

Of the 5 no shows, Flowers and Houston were the only ones of note.

Interesting....

Houston may be close to a deal and not wanting to risk injury(pure speculation on my part) but it would makes sense. 

Flowers the only reason I could think of him not showing up is maybe the Chiefs have informed him he will be a June 1st cut???

Obviously these aren't mandatory practices, but it still is interesting when someone doesn't attend, its not like either of these guys are vets who have earned the right not to participate in OTA's

Yep, this is a contract year for Houston and the writing is on the wall for Flowers. Dorsey has been moving towards bigger corners since he arrived in KC and Flowers makes too much money to just be a nickel back. I think when they signed Owens to play nickel back it signaled Flowers was nearing the end in KC. They tried to trade him before / during the draft and there were no takers. I think you are right about him being a June first cut. I wish he'd gotten a look at FS but it seems that was never in the plans. He's been a good player for us but he doesn't really fit the bump and run system they want to run. He's more of a zone corner.

Yep, this is a contract year for Houston and the writing is on the wall for Flowers. Dorsey has been moving towards bigger corners since he arrived in KC and Flowers makes too much money to just be a nickel back. I think when they signed Owens to play nickel back it signaled Flowers was nearing the end in KC. They tried to trade him before / during the draft and there were no takers. I think you are right about him being a June first cut. I wish he'd gotten a look at FS but it seems that was never in the plans. He's been a good player for us but he doesn't really fit the bump and run system they want to run. He's more of a zone corner.

Yup signs were really pointing to this all summer.

Getting Owens, drafting Gaines, even last year when they moved Cooper outside and played Flowers in the slot.

Flowers as a June 1st cut, saves 7.5 million this year and 7.5 million next year. 

They will turn the money saved from Flowers, into extensions for Smith and Houston.

Also read speculations that Houston really wants Flowers, which also makes since because of Romeo being the DC now

The Houston thing bothers me.  He's NOT Richard Sherman.  He was injured 35% of last season and he's trying to dictate terms a year early.  Don't get me wrong....he deserves that contract, but he also knows the position the Chiefs are currently in when it comes to the salary cap.  They need to clear money before he starts asking for more and he knows it.  It's almost like he's trying to force Flowers or Hali out now so he can get paid...

Flowers....who can blame the guy?  My guess is 1.  He's been told he's being traded or cut and should not practice or 2.  He wants to be traded or cut and wants to make sure he doesn't get injured. 

As much as I like Flowers, he obviously doesn't fit the Sutton Defense at the price he is currently being paid.  I would prefer we trade him and save 3.5 million a year than cut him and save 7.5 million a year.  If someone out there is willing to give up a 2nd rounder....make it happen. 

The Houston thing bothers me.  He's NOT Richard Sherman.  He was injured 35% of last season and he's trying to dictate terms a year early.  Don't get me wrong....he deserves that contract, but he also knows the position the Chiefs are currently in when it comes to the salary cap.  They need to clear money before he starts asking for more and he knows it.  It's almost like he's trying to force Flowers or Hali out now so he can get paid...

Flowers....who can blame the guy?  My guess is 1.  He's been told he's being traded or cut and should not practice or 2.  He wants to be traded or cut and wants to make sure he doesn't get injured. 

As much as I like Flowers, he obviously doesn't fit the Sutton Defense at the price he is currently being paid.  I would prefer we trade him and save 3.5 million a year than cut him and save 7.5 million a year.  If someone out there is willing to give up a 2nd rounder....make it happen. 

Thing to remember these aren't mandatory practices, so technically Flowers and Houston don't need to show up. 

As for Houston, I would say last year could of scared him a little bit. Everyone knows how much he means to the defense(example, look at how bad they were with him out) He was injured last year and knows if he struggles with them this year he might not make as much. It is a smart move for him to try to get paid now, before the season starts. 

For all we know, the deal could be close to completion, so he doesn't want to risk injury(See Example A-Sean Lee, Cowboys) until the deal is signed.

Thing to remember these aren't mandatory practices, so technically Flowers and Houston don't need to show up. 

Yes....but even optional practices are "Strongly Urged" and generally has perfect or near-perfect attendance.  Also, the chiefs are very good at informing post-practice where players are that did not attend.  They did so for all the missing players except for Flowers and Houston. 

I wonder if we aren't trying to add cap space for a player that's not on the roster. I could see Antrel Rolle being a June 1st cut. He is scheduled to make $7.5 million this year and has been open to restructuring since December but, the Giants don't seem interested.

No one is going to trade for Flowers contract imo. He makes too much money and teams know we are going to cut him.

I really like Alex Smith but he's 30 years old and we can definitely keep him for 2-3 more years (1 year left on the contract and can franchise up to two times with the new CBA) if we want to without giving him a new contract. The cost of that would be similar to the guaranteed money he would probably get anyway. Also, I suspect Dorsey will use caution and learn something from Pioli. Half the reason he was run out of town was for hitching his wagon to Cassel.

Houston is interesting... He had the past pot troubles and got injured last year. Also, he has never played ROLB in college or the pros. Traditionally, LOLB don't make as much as the guys on the right side who go against the LT. Is he going to be Hali's eventual replacement or is Ford? I'm not so sure Dorsey locks him up right away. I hope we can sign him long term but, it has to be the right price.

you know the alex is 30 argument holds no water in my opinion...

if hes just now..finally reaching his potential..his peak..in this modern pussificated NFL the guy could play 7-8 more years...hes NOT OLD!

I wonder if we aren't trying to add cap space for a player that's not on the roster. I could see Antrel Rolle being a June 1st cut. He is scheduled to make $7.5 million this year and has been open to restructuring since December but, the Giants don't seem interested.

No one is going to trade for Flowers contract imo. He makes too much money and teams know we are going to cut him.

I really like Alex Smith but he's 30 years old and we can definitely keep him for 2-3 more years (1 year left on the contract and can franchise up to two times with the new CBA) if we want to without giving him a new contract. The cost of that would be similar to the guaranteed money he would probably get anyway. Also, I suspect Dorsey will use caution and learn something from Pioli. Half the reason he was run out of town was for hitching his wagon to Cassel.

Houston is interesting... He had the past pot troubles and got injured last year. Also, he has never played ROLB in college or the pros. Traditionally, LOLB don't make as much as the guys on the right side who go against the LT. Is he going to be Hali's eventual replacement or is Ford? I'm not so sure Dorsey locks him up right away. I hope we can sign him long term but, it has to be the right price.

I agree.  No one is going to trade for Flowers.  Personally, I hate to see him go.  This crap about him not fitting the scheme is ludicrous.  He had a bad year, true.  But the defense went downhill after Hali and Houston were injured.  I'm still of the opinion the offense needed more work than the defense.

I see no reason Houston would switch to ROLB.  That will be Dee Ford's spot.  Houston is fine where he is.

you know the alex is 30 argument holds no water in my opinion...

if hes just now..finally reaching his potential..his peak..in this modern pussificated NFL the guy could play 7-8 more years...hes NOT OLD!

Aside from the pussification thing (which bears truth), AS oughta be hungry. It used to be sacrelige for a guy to lose his job to injury. He coulda been a contenda . . . for the super bowl . . . on a great team.

He oughta be hungry. By the end of last season he looked like the real deal.

Aside from the pussification thing (which bears truth), AS oughta be hungry. It used to be sacrelige for a guy to lose his job to injury. He coulda been a contenda . . . for the super bowl . . . on a great team.

He oughta be hungry. By the end of last season he looked like the real deal.

yea but that way of thinking put Grbac in a playoff game when everybody including Bob Dole knew Gannon earned it & had the hot hand. It was a sacrilege only in Marty's world.

yea but that way of thinking put Grbac in a playoff game when everybody including Bob Dole knew Gannon earned it & had the hot hand. It was a sacrilege only in Marty's world.

Because Marty was old school . . . and, really, just Mr. Tough Luck so many times . . .

This applies to meet that Flowers will be cut and Houston will hold out. Both surprise me. I would be willing to let Houston hold out until I could get a workable contract. He is on a position to blow up and be next years top FA or get the baggage of the injury risk label. He could also play out the season and look average. He should take the Hali type deal and stay here.

Most likely, he continues to develop into the most well rounded OLB in the league who we will have to franchise.

Archived