Chiefs rookie Justin March tears meniscus, will have surgery

March is an undrafted rookie who was having a solid camp. I was trying to find a way to get him on the team in our Chiefs 53-man roster projection because he keeps getting noticed at camp. He had a solid first preseason game, too. Unfortunately, he was injured in that game and that will cost him some time.

I don't know how this will affect his roster status or how long he will be out. I've seen 3-6 weeks thrown out for others with this injury but we don't know specifically much about March's situation. Teams would cut an injury settlement with a lot of undrafted players who go down but in the short amount of time I saw March I thought he had a future on the team. So maybe the Chiefs keep him around.

I think March made the team. His injury is not serious. They do it microscopically, and clean up all the loose cartilage. You hear guys talking about it all the time. Players sometimes get this done, and come back right away. To me, if the Chiefs are going to take such care of an undrafted player such as this,,, the kid already made the team. They have seen enough. 

probably easy enough to slip onto the practice team

I don't think he would make it to the practice team. I think March is on the 53. He can help them this year. The meniscus operation is outpatient surgery. They numb it. They stick a scope in. They clean up the debris. They close the incision. You walk away. There is nothing to it. If there was a doubt, they would wait until after the preseason to do this. 

I don't think he would make it to the practice team. I think March is on the 53. He can help them this year. The meniscus operation is outpatient surgery. They numb it. They stick a scope in. They clean up the debris. They close the incision. You walk away. There is nothing to it. If there was a doubt, they would wait until after the preseason to do this.

Doubt? You mean surgery after cutting him making him/union/etc. pay? Play through it trying to make the team (doubt) versus surgery now because your spot is there? Or doubt that it's a tear?

Doubt? You mean surgery after cutting him making him/union/etc. pay? Play through it trying to make the team (doubt) versus surgery now because your spot is there? Or doubt that it's a tear?

There was a tear or we wouldn't be talking about a surgery. 

If he wasn't going to be on the team, they would reach a settlement, and move on.

The doubt was that they would have this done, and then not find a place for him on the team. He will not be placed on IR for this type of injury. I think it means they know the kid has the right stuff to play in the NFL. So, they shut him down when the injury occurred. They are doing the outpatient operation Wednesday. He'll spend two weeks recovering, and be back before the season starts. 

Archived