Eric Fisher

These ideas about Fisher and his abilities and prospects appear to me to be opinion and speculation based on a limited view of him.  He came from a smaller school.  The Chiefs knew he was a developmental project, but one with too much potential to not pick first. Even linemen from big schools take three years, on average, to develop their skills to their potential.  He was plugged into RT his first year, when he should have been second team and learning, because the Chiefs were needy.  Obviously, as a rookie from a small school in a different position, he had problems, then got hurt. His next year was a position change back to LT, but his injury prevented him from building his upper body strength, and he couldn't get his punch or get his arms up higher where they need to be.  Despite this misfortune of being thrown into the fire his first year, changing postions twice, and getting injured, he built back his strength, has a big punch, and had awesome footwork in the first pre-season game.  Now, in his second year at his natural position, he shows third year type performance and will be slowed a tiny bit by this ankle sprain.  To make conclusions prematurely about his ability, especially comparing him to Stephenson, who has had many times more reps, is the kind of short range thinking that leads teams to give up and let linemen become stars for other teams after they have finally developed them and made a three year investment.  The Chiefs had to draft him first.  He was not only one of the best talents available, but they lost Albert, and Waters, and Asamoah in the previous couple of seasons and had to rebuild the line, so he was a huge position of need in that draft. Stephenson has been developing for four years and is just now emerging, which is typical for offensive linemen.

I know that you guys know probably five times as much football as I do and were players, but I can recognize disgruntled and short range thinking and sport writer-type analysis when I see it. I believe that giving up on Fisher just as he emerges from development is extremely foolish.  My guess is that he will be a top 5 OT in coming years, hopefully not with a different team, and that he even has a 50% chance of being All-Pro during the next 10 years.  Now, if he truly is "brittle," that is a different story.  I agree totally with the first paragraph of Eraser's post. The Tiffany Lamp post is cute and funny, but kind of insulting and based on little or no analysis. It is there for attention and smiles.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Its probably just weakness on my part....but I get the feeling Andy Reid, Andy Heck & Doug Peterson all want to win really badly.  I also get the sense that John Dorsey really knows what he is doign and he has shown ZERO trouble or slowness in pulling the trigger.

As long as this crew thinks Fish will be fine and they keep him at LT....I'll stay with that idea.

w

Its probably just weakness on my part....but I get the feeling Andy Reid, Andy Heck & Doug Peterson all want to win really badly.  I also get the sense that John Dorsey really knows what he is doign and he has shown ZERO trouble or slowness in pulling the trigger.

As long as this crew thinks Fish will be fine and they keep him at LT....I'll stay with that idea.

w

Hope the same is true at QB

Smith will be fine.....If he falters, they go with Chase.

Reid and Dorsey have done the job at QB by bringing in a real NFL Back Up.

I don't know of a team that has a better backup QB.  That is a huge advantage for any team.  It will be nearly impossible to keep him when his contract is up.  How many teams would be happy to have him as their starter?  Quite a few, I'd guess. I don't think he would be a great starter for the Chiefs, because of Reid's complex scheme.  He doesn't seem like a WCO type guy.  He can sure run a simplified version of it in a pinch or for several games, though.  You need a brainy, risk-averse QB like Smith to be a starter for Reid.

I can't wait to see what Smith can do with his new weapons and with a very strong D to make him a little less risk averse.  Just need a gelled offensive line with some strength in the run game on the right side, so that Jamaal remains a big weapon and who can give Smith another second to find deep targets. If they can make that O-line come together, they are a real championship contender.

Fisher has played in 30 of our last 32 games.  He has been dinged, but brittle is not an accurate description.

He will be fine.  He had a respectable year last year and will be better this year.  He will probably never look like a #1 overall pick, but who does?  I think he could be as good as Albert.  Remember it took Albert a few years to really become a solid LT.

Archived