5 things we leaned from training camp

Chiefs training camp for 2015 is over.  The Kansas City Star listed five things training camp taught us about this years Kansas City Chiefs:

1.  There has to be a primary concern, right?  Its the offensive line and the revolving door of starters.

When training camp opened the list of starters was Fisher, Grubbs, Kush, Allen and Stephenson.  Out went Kush, Allen and Stephenson and Stephenson and in came Mitch Morse,  Zach Fulton and Allen at right tackle.  Grubbs has been the lone constant at his position.

2.  The Chiefs have a receiver palooza.  Besides Maclin they also have productive practice players in Chris Conley, DaRon Brown, Albert Wilson, Frankie Hammond and Fred Williams.  Two of these will not make the starting 53.

3.  Financial Success has not spoiled Justin Houston.

4.  Eric Berry's workload will increase.   Berry is amazing.

5.  No joint practices with other teams as long as Reid is the coach.

I have never felt so calm at this time of the year. I have a lot of confidence in this team. I also feel like they have a quiet confidence. We have had the same QB, GM, and coaching staff for three years now. We've done nothing but add more talent and depth every season they've been here. I really think we'll see all of this culminate. 

Wilkie, is it a tradition for you to leave a letter out of all posts you start? First, it's "Both tacles out" and now, it's "5 things we leaned from training camp."

For conspiracy theorists, now Wilkie has left out the first K and R from his posts. What will it spell out? And what will it all mean? So far, it's Kick Returner or Krusty the Clown. But we'll have to see where this goes...

ate to ruin it for you but I am typing on a kindle with one finger and auto correct. Thats all it is. You must have started the Beatles conspiracy that Paul is dead.

Leaving out K and R and then leaving out "h" in hate... Reference Paul is Dead... KRHPD... What's it all mean?!!! Keep Reading How ...

Things I learned this year:

1. Wilkie is losing "it"  at an accelerated pace.

2. Former DB is still the man

3. KC Tech Jr. is a terrific reporter

4. Bil's prognosis for injuries is the worst case scenario

5. Arrowhead is over rated.

w

Oline looks more settled than I thought originally. RG still a big hole though.

Chiefs are still weak at ILB next to DJ. They should try and call the Eagles about Kendricks.

Fleming doesn't really look good starting. Unless Peters can overtake the spot, it's going to be a long 3 weeks to open the year.

Alex Smith has to step up or step out.

Chiefs are gonna have a hard time choosing 6 WRs. Sure is a far cry from 9 months ago when people were excited to scoop Avant out of the trashcan. Avant is a 50/50 to make the roster.

Things I learned this year:

1. Wilkie is losing at an accelerated pace.

2.Former DB is still the man

3. KC Tech Jr. is a terrific reporter

4. Bil's prognosis for injuries is the worst case scenario

5. Arrowhead is over rated.

w

Yep

Yep

Yep

Yep  &

YEP

but truthfully I have paid less attention to this camp than any before. The proof is in the pudding and the pudding is not on the table yet.

I have never felt so calm at this time of the year. I have a lot of confidence in this team. I also feel like they have a quiet confidence. We have had the same QB, GM, and coaching staff for three years now. We've done nothing but add more talent and depth every season they've been here. I really think we'll see all of this culminate. 

No. Its the Xanax, Mugsy.

I think they both make it. Avant can go. Build for the future.

Too many young guys would be the result, good or not.  It would interrupt the balance of youth and experience.  Avant will stay, IMO.  The future is now.

1. Oline still a work in progress.

2. Peters will be a starter sooner rather than later.

3. Having bodies back in Berry, Devito, DJ and Catapano makes me think the defense will be amazing.

4. Still waiting to see this "more explosive" offense I keep hearing about.

5. Andy Reid never says a negative thing about anyone.

1. Oline still a work in progress.

2. Peters will be a starter sooner rather than later.

3. Having bodies back in Berry, Devito, DJ and Catapano makes me think the defense will be amazing.

4. Still waiting to see this "more explosive" offense I keep hearing about.

5. Andy Reid never says a negative thing about anyone.

#5 is what a good coach does, right?

Guest dhitter

#5 is what a good coach does, right?

Once in a while I'd like to hear Andy say something like, "(Fill in the blank player)...didn't play well. He's got to do better. He is capable of more and he will get there but today wasn't good enough." As opposed to the saccharin speech like "He's a heck of a football player and he's learning." 

Andy said in his pregame comments of the Titans before week 1 last year "They're a really good football team." Actually they sucked balls Andy. They were good against the Chiefs though..lol. I guess Andy was predicting the outcome before it happened.

Hammond has done nothing during his time on the roster. I would rather keep Alexander, who is just a camp body, over Hammond.

Hammond has done nothing during his time on the roster. I would rather keep Alexander, who is just a camp body, over Hammond.

agree whole heartedly...Hammond will show up run the wrong route and drop the 3 passes a game he will see..

Once in a while I'd like to hear Andy say something like, "(Fill in the blank player)...didn't play well. He's got to do better. He is capable of more and he will get there but today wasn't good enough." As opposed to the saccharin speech like "He's a heck of a football player and he's learning." 

Andy said in his pregame comments of the Titans before week 1 last year "They're a really good football team." Actually they sucked balls Andy. They were good against the Chiefs though..lol. I guess Andy was predicting the outcome before it happened.

Sorry, DH.  I don't buy that at all.  Players are better motivated by team-oriented teammates, like we see with our veterans helping the young guys, than by coaches saying what is already obvious to the press.  The head coach should never publicly critique a player.  That starts a cancer that grows.  There is a great article in today's KC Star about the Royals and the importance of team chemistry. I think the same things apply to football.  Reid knows how to build a team, just like Yost does.  Dorsey builds the roster, but Reid builds the strategies, the scheme, and the chemistry.

Sorry, DH.  I don't buy that at all.  Players are better motivated by team-oriented teammates, like we see with our veterans helping the young guys, than by coaches saying what is already obvious to the press.  The head coach should never publicly critique a player.  That starts a cancer that grows.  There is a great article in today's KC Star about the Royals and the importance of team chemistry. I think the same things apply to football.  Reid knows how to build a team, just like Yost does.  Dorsey builds the roster, but Reid builds the strategies, the scheme, and the chemistry.

Exactly right.  Any of us who have had responsibility or been parents knows that one praises in public and criticizes in private.  Reid probably chews on players plenty behind the scenes but it would be poison to go public with it.

Exactly right.  Any of us who have had responsibility or been parents knows that one praises in public and criticizes in private.  Reid probably chews on players plenty behind the scenes but it would be poison to go public with it.

That's it!  "Praises in public and criticizes in private."  That is the description of a successful leader, whether a coach or a parent. The minute I see an article in a paper quoting a coach saying something negative about a player, I know that team will NEVER be successful, whether it is our team or any team anywhere.  I have seen enough of that over the years to know that it is simply not worth expending the emotional effort to be a fan of any team with a coach who does that, because that team will never be a champion until there is a different coach at the helm. 

Of course I don't really mean Reid should dress down his players in public. More of a "I wish I knew Andy had some bite in him when it's called for" type of wondering. That's it. 

No need for further pontificating on the pros and cons of how to coach. 

Archived