Is Daniels like the Rich Gannon situation?

This feels very similar. Sometimes play makers are not the best looking or gifted  player. They get it done regardless. Im not saying Daniels should start ahead of Smith. I am thinking I have seen this before. Im not worried about an injury to Smith with Daniels ready to go.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm not worried about Chase or Alex. I would wait until the regular season and see if Smith is not playing better. I did like that Smith was throwing some passes entire windows this game.

Someone said that Chase was showing that Smith was not the answer. That's ridiculous, Chase is showing that he can take the risks against second stringers when there is no consequence in preseason and he's playing with house money. Smith was taking some risks as well in this last game. At the worst, if there was an interception, Chase still the backup. At best, he gets to show himself. Smith will have this year, with weapons to show if he is the answer.

'm not worried about Chase for Alex. I would wait until the regular season and see if Smith is not playing better. I did like that Smith was throwing some passes entire windows this screen.

Someone said that Chase was showing that Smith was not the answer. That's ridiculous, Chase is showing that he can take the risks against second stringers when there is no consequence in preseason and he's playing with house money. Smith was taking some risks as well and this last game. At the worst, if there was an interception, Chase still the backup. At best, he gets to show himself. Smith will have this year, with weapons to show if he is the answer.

Agree........,The question: is he like Gannon not is he better than Smith. Gannon sat for years as a back up. Then look what happened. 

Guest Chieftain

Daniel(not Daniels) hasn't played enough in the regular season to show that he can be a consistent starter and superior to Alex Smith.If Chase Daniel was able to play about 4 regular season games this year and outplay Alex Smith with the same crew then I would say we have more of a Grbac Gannon situation. I don't put any weight on preseason games but in the 2 regular season games he started for the Chiefs he played well but I don't think it was superior to what Alex Smith would have done in the same situation.

Daniel(not Daniels) hasn't played enough in the regular season to show that he can be a consistent starter and superior to Alex Smith.If Chase Daniel was able to play about 4 regular season games this year and outplay Alex Smith with the same crew then I would say we have more of a Grbac Gannon situation. I don't put any weight on preseason games but in the 2 regular season games he started for the Chiefs he played well but I don't think it was superior to what Alex Smith would have done in the same situation.

Completely agree. I do think we have seen a good sampling of what he can do. He played well in his regular season starts too. Bottom line for me...he shines above second level talent all day long. That makes him starter material in my book. Whether he is better than Smith is not my thought. Smith has the big contract and will play. I am a Smith supporter. KC may have given the big contract to the wrong guy. Free agent next year that could come back to haunt us.

Completely agree. I do think we have seen a good sampling of what he can do. He played well in his regular season starts too. Bottom line for me...he shines above second level talent all day long. That makes him starter material in my book. Whether he is better than Smith is not my thought. Smith has the big contract and will play. I am a Smith supporter. KC may have given the big contract to the wrong guy. Free agent next year that could come back to haunt us.

Take a look at the contracts as it stands now and add in Eli Manning in front as well as Andrew luck and you'll see that Smith contract is right in the middle. And there was no way that we would have given Chase a big contract. The question, should you insist on having one before the regular season, would be whether a cheaper Daniel versus Smith at a middle contract.

Chase is solid. Very much like Gannon. Not the size or style that teams look for, but he can get it done. Best backup in the NFL. He will do really good things when he leaves here IMO.

and hopefully not leading the Raiders to a SB

Gannon wasn't anything until he started. No one knows..

Gannon actually showed a lot of promise before he got his shot.

The MU homer in me wants to say yeah sure he's Gannon, but he's not.

Rich Gannon was a guy that was a master of the West Coast Offense and ran it like a Bentley.

Chase Daniel is a guy where you can strictly script around a half worth of plays and he can run it proficiency. That's not a terrible thing; actually ideal for a solid number two. Can get you the lead early on and won't fuck up colossally so your top ranked Defense can protect the lead.

Gannon was a general and Daniel is more of a reliable footsoldier.

Alex was brought in to be essentially the same, but be able to break away from the shackles and take over only when needed.

He's only showed very small glimpses of the 2nd part, but can't do it reliably what so ever.

So far this summer his YPA is lower than Jamaals career YPC avg, which is pathetic no matter how you want to spin it.

The Chiefs have 2 number 2 QB's.

So far this summer his YPA is lower than Jamaals career YPC avg, which is pathetic no matter how you want to spin it.

The Chiefs have 2 number 2 QB's.

Bullshit. Smith is a #1, not only in designation, but in merit and the YPA for a preseason is irrelevant. Most say he's an average starter, some say above and some say below average, but a number 2 QB is either 33rd ranked and below or not capable over extended time to do what Smith can. In general, Smith has shown to be a number 1 QB past the point of teams having film on him. Not elite, but a starter regardless of where people slot him on the scale. You can have two #1 QBs on a team, like Young and Montana, but this isn't a Gabbert/Moore situation. Even if I give the benefit of the doubt and call him below average, #2 QBs don't last 10 years in the leagu as starters. It doesn't make them great either.

Please, trying to compare Chase Daniel to Alex Smith is silly. Alex Smith has won in the post-season. Anyone here thinking Chase Daniel is going to be someone special in the NFL has to wonder why the Chiefs didn't trade Chase Daniel away for solid draft pick compensation months ago to open up needed cap space. The answer is obvious: NFL General Managers with their jobs on the line don't make deals for career backups. Based on talent and demonstrated ability, anyone that wants to argue that Chase Daniel is better than Alex Smith and is anything more than one quarterback in the lowest-tier of starting quarterbacks in the NFL is simply anti-Alex.

By the way, this weekend in San Francisco (where, like Kansas City, they suffer from inconsistent offensive line play), Colin Kaepernick was good for 1.3 yards per action play. The last team to trade away Alex Smith ended up with the inferior quarterback. If you're secretly wishing for Smith to rupture his spleen again, you deserve a quarterback like that.

Bullshit. Smith is a #1, not only in designation, but in merit and the YPA for a preseason is irrelevant. Most say he's an average starter, some say above and some say below average, but a number 2 QB is either 33rd ranked and below or not capable over extended time to do what Smith can. In general, Smith has shown to be a number 1 QB past the point of teams having film on him. Not elite, but a starter regardless of where people slot him on the scale. You can have two #1 QBs on a team, like Young and Montana, but this isn't a Gabbert/Moore situation. Even if I give the benefit of the doubt and call him below average, #2 QBs don't last 10 years in the leagu as starters. It doesn't make them great either.

On the merit of what? Smith is a low tier starter that hasn't proved he can be anything beyond a game manager after a decade in the league. I like my backups to be efficient game managers.

Smith is a low tier starter that hasn't proved he can be anything beyond a game manager after a decade in the league. I like my backups to be efficient game managers.

Alex Smith's offenses have scored an average of more than 32 points per game in post-season appearances, almost a full touchdown better than Aaron Rodgers' offenses' almost-26. You obviously weren't watching very closely when Smith's anemic offensive supporting casts reached the closing minutes of two post-season contests with a lead, only to see it evaporate due to poor defense or special teams play.

Bad quarterbacks don't survive bad coaching. Smith has survived Mike Nolan, Mike Singletary, and Jim Harbaugh, and to date has a winning record as a quarterback and a starting job in the NFL. The others may never be head coaches again in the league. You are officially an Alex Smith hater, which is generally to be understood the same as not understanding how the quarterbacking position works in the NFL. Go root for an NFL Combine workout warrior with a stronger arm and even faster legs. There's always Colin Kaepernick in San Francisco. He's supposed to be really good stuff.

On the merit of what? Smith is a low tier starter that hasn't proved he can be anything beyond a game manager after a decade in the league. I like my backups to be efficient game managers.

I set the bar low on what I had to prove. He's a starter in the league and deserves to be so. I made no claims about how good of a starter he is. He's top 32 and has the skills, abilities, and performance to be a #1 in this league. When someone goes out of their way to say he isn't even good enough to do that (bench player), there's no point in arguing where he is as a quarterback with them. I don't use the word hater, but I do see an exaggeration being stated.

You can call me a hater, but I call it how I see it.

Smith is a starter in title only and isn't a starting quality QB. Matt Cassel or Tyrod Taylor will technically be a starter in Buffalo, but they are number twos filling the role.

Winston and Mariota are starters, but I wouldn't call them starting quality either as of yet.

Alex Smith is a mediocre starter that got bounced for a widly unproven project in SF who took them onward to an NFC Championship game that went down to the wire against the eventual SB champs and nearly won it all against Baltimore.

The narrative has always been that Harbaugh was a big ol meanie pants and just didn't like Alex, but he played the guy that gave him the best chance to win. A QB teetering towards converting to safety was a better option.

Refuge 49er fans slash Alex lovers need to vacate already.

Being safe with the football just isn't enough anymore in the NFL. Don't hate the guy by any means, but he's going to end up holding a Super Bowl squad back.

49er Fans surveyed by the bay Area paper, The Mercury  News prefer Smith 2 to 1 over Kap....as of last January.

There is a reason Kap went through a rigorous Off Season Regime to change his mechanics.

He is not accurate with his throws.

w

Archived