Titans @ Chiefs thread

Yes, they have. And Maclin has been mentoring them this summer.

This will be major. Maclin will get his attention and the others will come open. Some will see this as a dump off or check downs and intermediate plays, but Maclin can have an affect there and then you add in all the mentoring. When you give Maclin the deal they gave him, he feels confident to mentor. If you give him a one or two year deal, I'm sure he'd be professional, but the motivation to mentor isn't as strong.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You know what really struck me in that Titans game?  When Murray threw that touchdown pass  to Williams in stride, the camera crew showed Alex Smith on the sidelines, and he was grinning from ear to ear, pumping his fist, and high fiving everyone.  This reminds me of the Royals.  The Chiefs are coming together as a team, and everyone is rooting for each other.  That kind of thing goes a long, long way. I don't remember the Chiefs having that since Stram.  Maybe for a year or two with Montana.  But even Marty's teams didn't have quite the same attitude with their competitors for playing time on their own team.

You know what really struck me in that Titans game? When Murray threw that touchdown pass to Williams in stride, the camera crew showed Alex Smith on the sidelines, and he was grinning from ear to ear, pumping his fist, and high fiving everyone. This reminds me of the Royals. The Chiefs are coming together as a team, and everyone is rooting for each other. That kind of thing goes a long, long way. I don't remember the Chiefs having that since Stram. Maybe for a year or two with Montana. But even Marty's teams didn't have quite the same attitude with their competitors for playing time on their own team.

31 games over

You know what really struck me in that Titans game? When Murray threw that touchdown pass to Williams in stride, the camera crew showed Alex Smith on the sidelines, and he was grinning from ear to ear, pumping his fist, and high fiving everyone. This reminds me of the Royals. The Chiefs are coming together as a team, and everyone is rooting for each other. That kind of thing goes a long, long way. I don't remember the Chiefs having that since Stram. Maybe for a year or two with Montana. But even Marty's teams didn't have quite the same attitude with their competitors for playing time on their own team.

That's funny, because I was just going to mention how Smith is with Murray despite having that experience in San Francisco of Kaepernick taking over (despite Smith winning and leading the league in rating) and Kaepernick benefiting from his mentoring. I thought of this because of Maclin mentoring other receivers. Professional, classy, confident in his abilities, and I believe, genuine.

I don't think you keep a guy who has one year left, if it involves getting rid of a young guy with potential, especially when that older guy isn't either your #1, #2, or #3 receiver. Avant takes up a roster spot for what?  2 or 3 plays this year that one of the other guys might not make due to inexperience?  The argument that those few plays would make the difference in playoff spot is much less valid when considering the strength of our defense.  Avant could be traded for an extra 4th or 5th round draft choice next offseason, and we would lose nothing significant.  We have Maclin, Conley, and Wilson to get 95% of the opportunities.  We need 5th and 6th receivers who are the strongest special teams guys.  Avant is not that guy.  Hammond is. Williams should be the 4th receiver.

No matter who Reid "likes" he "likes" winning more.  If he "likes" Avant, he can buy him a lobster dinner when ge leaves and meet him in the Bahamas for a deep sea fishing trip next winter.

The thing about Avant is he knows the offense through and through.

He's old and slow, but will be reliable for those few times he gets open.

Also is a very solid special teams guy. Special teams is very important if you're a depth bro.

He's a total jag and Andy knows exactly what he will get out of one Jason Avant.

I'd go with the potential, but Andy respects the hell out of a player like him.

Its a good problem to have.  But one thing none of us are privy to when making these opinions and posts is character.  Reid puts a huge emphasis on that.  We have no idea which of these guys, or either, or both show great work ethics, sacrifice their social time for extra work and training in football, who they hang out with, whether they love to party, how much they help or root for other players.  We know NONE of that.  When this regime, which I trust, makes their most difficult decisions between two players who are good on the field, it will likely be at least partially based on these other issues that none of us can know about.  The youngest players play against the 2's and 3's, and their basic athleticism shows.  The tough decisions are based on how hard someone works, information from their college coaches and families, whether they party too hardy, etc.  Then bunches of guys here get angry, because they think the front office cut the wrong player.  There is a lot more to this than meets the fan's eye.

Archived