Roster Determined Today

Paul Fanaika would have cost the Chiefs $366,667 against the Chiefs' cap this year had he been cut. I didn't see enough out of him to indicate he was worth retaining. I would have kept Pughsley, and cut Fanaika, but Dorsey saw it differently. 

The whole Catapano situation bewilders me. Here you have a 264 lb man, who starts out at OLB, but almost immediately gets switched to DE. He does alright, but gets pushed around. The next year Catapano looks rhoided up. He is close to 300 lbs, and looks like a bull. The next thing you know he has a strange illness, and is out for the year. We later heard he had a concussion, but there was no indication of this happening at the  time. It was about a month later, that we learned he had a concussion even though he didn't practice in preseason due to illness. Then this year, Catapano is back up in weight, and looks great. The next thing you know he is cut from the team. I find this to be strange. Something just doesn't smell right to me. 

I was surprised Kush was cut. Started training camp as starting center, gets beat out of starting spot by a rookie, and ends up not even making the team. When we let Hudson walk, who would have expected this?

Hate to see Williams cut. He was great in pre-season. Hammond looked good, too, though.

Chiefs finally gave up on Sander Commings. He had his chances.

Too bad about Catapano, too.

Cool getting a draft pick for McCray...

I was surprised Kush was cut. Started training camp as starting center, gets beat out of starting spot by a rookie, and ends up not even making the team. When we let Hudson walk, who would have expected this?

Hate to see Williams cut. He was great in pre-season. Hammond looked good, too, though.

Chiefs finally gave up on Sander Commings. He had his chances.

Too bad about Catapano, too.

Cool getting a draft pick for McCray...

Maybe when we lost Hudson we didn't see a rookie winning the job, but maybe we (Reid/Dorsey) saw somebody beating Kush, whether that be the now number 2 (Fulton?) or rookie/FA? Kush holding them off might have been a pleasant surprise if he had?

Don't the Chiefs have to cut someone when Smith becomes eligible in week four?  If so, who's on the bubble?  Also, I was surprised that with all the back up talent on the roster, eight rookies made the team.  Peters, Morse, and Wilson should all get mucho playing time and Conley will get a few looks.  Don't see much help from the others at this time.  Maybe O'Shaunessy gets a few snaps in two and three TE sets. 

When all is said and done I think Catapano getting cut is the biggest surprise because it leaves the Chiefs perilously thin on the defensive line and removes a pass rusher from that group who actually gets pressures occasionally. It also makes me think that the Chiefs aren't done at all and this 53 man roster isn't the one we will see next week at Houston. I expect a defensive line signing soon and another trade probably to deal someone else from the secondary.

When all is said and done I think Catapano getting cut is the biggest surprise because it leaves the Chiefs perilously thin on the defensive line and removes a pass rusher from that group who actually gets pressures occasionally. It also makes me think that the Chiefs aren't done at all and this 53 man roster isn't the one we will see next week at Houston. I expect a defensive line signing soon and another trade probably to deal someone else from the secondary.

Catapano had the most QB hits in the preseason. Not the most sacks, but pressure and hits are good for us, obviously.

Reid indicated Catapano did well against the twos, but not so well against starters. No one has picked him up as of yet. The Chiefs could still put him on their practice team. It looks as if he is having some residual problems recovering from his year off illness. Also, does well in rush situations, but not against the run. Nick Williams beat Catapano out. Williams is better against the run, and can play NT. 

Archived