Waivers & Taxi Squad

Bucs claimed ILB James-Michael Johnson off waivers from the Chiefs.
Johnson appeared in all 16 games for the Chiefs last season, making nine starts. He was largely ineffective in 446 snaps on defense, but could be useful in a smaller role for defensive-minded coach Lovie Smith. At the very least, he'll contribute on special teams.
Related: Chiefs

I found the Brian Parker waiver claim unexpected, although he was someone the Chiefs expressed interest in signing as an undrafted free agent. Because of Sean Smith's suspension, someone was inevitably going to get a three-week tryout, and evidently it wasn't someone the Chiefs already had. In other words, the Chiefs went into this past Saturday counting Sean Smith in their 53-man roster, and they intended to sign a waived player all along.

I'm not really sure who will be cut to accommodate his roster spot, but it will most likely be a defensive player, perhaps Nunez-Roches. The Chiefs may also consider going into the regular season with four tight ends and five wide receivers, in which case Frankie Hammond would be the one to walk.

I wonder if they have lost faith in Harris's foot.

I am guessing Sorenson is out when Smith comes back if they stay at 4 TEs. I kind of hope they do. I like that 3 TE set.

Not sure teams think that far out with any certainty. Too many injuries between now and then. Who knows who will be out.

Archived