Fisher now starting RT?

Just driving and not paying attention to the radio when someone stated that Fisher would be starting at RT and Stephenson at LT.  Was that accurate info or did I misunderstand or the talking head maybe just speculating?  It would be interesting if the Chiefs are giving up on Fisher as the long term LT.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I could see that Fisher and our RG is a stronger right side that Stephenson and our RG. Fisher could help our RG, where as Stephenson and Grubbs don't need help on the left side? Maybe Stephenson isn't good enough on the right? I don't know what I'm talking about, but I'm trying to say that maybe it's about the right side and left side maximizing as opposed to just the tackles.

The Chiefs have moved Eric Fisher to right tackle.
Fisher has flopped spectacularly on the blind side the past two seasons. The Chiefs have determined that Donald Stephenson is a better option to protect Alex Smith, with Fisher playing on the strong side now, and getting help blocks from tight ends. Fisher was the No. 1 overall pick in the 2013 draft.
Related: Donald Stephenson

Number one overall pick on a RT. Jesus.

I know, but at least we're not stubbornly putting him where he's a risk for us.

We can't keep trying to prove a point. We need to play the best players at their best position and put them in the best situation, regardless of money, draft status, etc. Just hope that we draft well in the future, pay the right guys in the future, and maintain a good system.

It may still be that he is the best Right Tackle available for now and that Stephensen is not good at Right Tackle but good at Left Tackle. Roto World is always negative. He has not been a complete flop and only played there last season. Consider the source.. 

Someone on another message board says the switch is just for this game to combat JJ Watt. They don't want to put the weakest link lined up against Watt. Now, does that mean Fisher is the weakest link or the other? I don't know where Watt comes from. I'm sure he alternates.

I know, but at least we're not stubbornly putting him where he's a risk for us.

We can't keep trying to prove a point. We need to play the best players at their best position and put them in the best situation, regardless of money, draft status, etc. Just hope that we draft well in the future, pay the right guys in the future, and maintain a good system.

Oh there's nothing wrong with them admitting they were wrong. I hope some people remember this when they think OL is the safe pick.

I wanted Sheldon Richardson. If he wasn't a moron off the field, would of been the slamdunk decision IMO

A bold move by the Kansas City Chiefs ahead of their Week 1 game against the Houston Texans is coming.

According to Andy Reid, Donald Stephenson has been named the starter at left tackle and Eric Fisher will play right tackle.

Fisher has been out with an ankle sprain for a few weeks so Stephenson has had more reps on the left side. Stephenson had what I thought was a couple of his best games at left tackle in the time that Fisher was out. Stephenson is the Chiefs best option at left tackle, and I'm surprised the Chiefs have made that move. I can't say it's the wrong one though.

"He was great," Reid said when asked how Fisher took the news. "Fish just wants to play. He doesn't care. He's going to do what's best for the team."

The starting offensive line, per Reid:

LT Donald Stephenson, LG Ben Grubbs, C Mitch Morse, RG Laurent Duvernay-Tardif, RT Eric Fisher

As an aside, the KC Star's Terez Paylor asked Reid if making this move at tackle was an acknowledgement that it hasn't worked out with Fisher, the 2013 No. 1 overall. Reid was a little angry in his response: "Did you hear what I just said? ... I'm not going to answer that." It's a fair question (I think) but you can tell Reid wasn't getting into that question.

and with the first pick the Kansas City Chiefs pick LT ???? from ????

Fisher "not caring" if he plays LT or RT says there is a "pride" problem. yes thats is a team first attitude but it also shows lack of motivation ..just my opinion. He's also costing himself a hell of a lot of $$ when his next paycheck  negotiation comes due.

Chiefs can spin this  the way they are to save face but deep down inside they must be looking at the floor and kicking themselves in the ass.

Someone on another message board says the switch is just for this game to combat JJ Watt. They don't want to put the weakest link lined up against Watt. Now, does that mean Fisher is the weakest link or the other? I don't know where Watt comes from. I'm sure he alternates.

Watt comes from nowhere and everywhere. He's an animal.

Fisher has flopped spectacularly on the blind side the past two seasons. The Chiefs have determined that Donald Stephenson is a better option to protect Alex Smith, with Fisher playing on the strong side now, and getting help blocks from tight ends. Fisher was the No. 1 overall pick in the 2013 draft.

Related: Donald Stephenson

He didn't played the left dude for 2 season and didn't flop spectacularly when he did. But whatever.

This may have something to do with which ankle he sprained. It may take stress off the bad ankle by switching sides. It may be that Stephenson is better on the left than he is on the right. I don't know, but if this gives us the best line, I don't care who was drafted when.

Fisher has flopped spectacularly on the blind side the past two seasons.  

Actually, Fisher only played LT one year, last season.  In his rookie year, he played RT and Albert played LT. not that it's important at this point.  And as someone pointed out above, it could be only because of Fisher's ankle recovery or planning for Watt.

He didn't played the left dude for 2 season and didn't flop spectacularly when he did. But whatever.

This may have something to do with which ankle he sprained. It may take stress off the bad ankle by switching sides. It may be that Stephenson is better on the left than he is on the right. I don't know, but if this gives us the best line, I don't care who was drafted when.

FYI....Thats a Roto World Quote.

"This is going to be a defining moment for Reid with this team. He’s a great coach, but this is a huge gamble."

Yep..it was said by many that this pick (Fisher #1 overall) could be a job killer but many were referring to Dorsey's job not Reid's. IF Smith gets hurt baddd in the first game from a blown LT block Reid is on the Hot Seat. I got to give it to him tho he has guts ,many wouldn't even touch that decision

Sure adds much unexpected/wanted drama to the first game where there should be little

Number one overall pick on a RT. Jesus.

Reid said that Fisher is 'the man".  He said that he is capable of playing ANY position on the offensive line "at a pro-bowl level".  We most certainly didn't waste a pick on him.  He is incredibly versatile.  Since Stephenson is healthy enough to play LT, and because Stephenson is able to play it,  this makes a lot of sense for now. Fisher could step in a guard also at any time. This move is extremely important against the Texans.  Now we will not be vulnerable on the right side to the extent that would have been.  In another year at most, Liquid, you are going to be singing the praises of the Chiefs for drafting Fisher. Those on this thread who are looking at this as a demotion for Fisher just don't understand Reid. He is going to have his O-line.  Plus Fisher has missed all of pre-season. A high ankle sprain is no laughing matter.  LT requires a lot of lateral movement and is hard on the ankles.  As Reid feels more comfortable, I can see him switching Fisher back soon.

Reid said that Fisher is 'the man".  He said that he is capable of playing ANY position on the offensive line "at a pro-bowl level".  We most certainly didn't waste a pick on him.  He is incredibly versatile.  Since Stephenson is only truly good at LT, this makes a lot of sense for now. He could step in a guard also. This is extremely important against the Texans.  Now we will not be vulnerable on the right side to the extent that would have been.  In another year at most, Liquid, you are going to be singing the praises of the Chiefs for drafting Fisher. Those on this thread who are looking at this as a demotion for Fisher just don't understand Reid. He is going to have his O-line.  Plus Fisher has missed all of pre-season. A high ankle sprain is no laughing matter.  LT requires a lot of lateral movement and is hard on the ankles.  As Reid feels more comfortable, I can see him switching Fisher back soon.

Show Me

Archived