Fisher now starting RT?

This is a good move. Stephenson, has been our best offensive lineman this pre-season. Fisher, was a solid RT his first year with the team, and coming off a high ankle sprain makes it a no-brainer. Don't know if this move will be permanent, but makes sense facing the Texans front 7.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Reid said that Fisher is 'the man". He said that he is capable of playing ANY position on the offensive line "at a pro-bowl level". We most certainly didn't waste a pick on him. He is incredibly versatile. Since Stephenson is healthy enough to play LT, and because Stephenson is able to play it, this makes a lot of sense for now. Fisher could step in a guard also at any time. This move is extremely important against the Texans. Now we will not be vulnerable on the right side to the extent that would have been. In another year at most, Liquid, you are going to be singing the praises of the Chiefs for drafting Fisher. Those on this thread who are looking at this as a demotion for Fisher just don't understand Reid. He is going to have his O-line. Plus Fisher has missed all of pre-season. A high ankle sprain is no laughing matter. LT requires a lot of lateral movement and is hard on the ankles. As Reid feels more comfortable, I can see him switching Fisher back soon.

If he works out at Right Tackle, hey great. Spending the number one overall pick on a RT is horrendous value though.

So far it's looking like Dorsey is 1/3 in the first round.

I'm not buying the junk on Fisher is at RT because Stephenson tanked there. He looked fine at RT vs Arizona and they're gonna playplay the best guy. Our number one overall pick got beat out by a Day 2 swing tackle.

Says a lot. (I think Fisher has the technique to be an above average LT, but the strength isn't there.)

The year we drafted first overall had to be one of the worst years for talent...especially at QB and the skill positions. Chiefs taking Fisher wasn't considered a shocking pick. We could just as easily been duped by taking Joeckel who hasn't panned out either.

Also it seems to me a couple years ago a lot of folks were saying that Stephenson was too slow to be effective at the tackle spot. Now he's our best option?

Before the 2013 draft, a lot of people wanted Geno Smith (although I doubt any will admit it now), Tyler Wilson (whose even worse than Geno; couldn’t even crack the Raiders roster), Dion Jordan, or Luke Joeckel.  None would have been a better pick than Fisher.  That draft had to be the worst draft in decades to have the #1 overall pick.  Was there anyone that wouldn’t have been a huge reach at the time that would have been a better pick?

I'll admit it, I thought they should of taken Geno. Sure he hasn't worked out, but shit.....he went to the Jets. Who would succeed there? At worst he would of been underwhelming here like Fisher has been, but at least they finally grew some balls and took a real shot at a franchise QB.

I also said they should take Sheldon Richardson because it was obvious he could play and well. Others also said that Star dude, who also would of been a better selection than a tackle.

The tackle they chose, I understood. They should of never handcuffed themselves to having to go OT and it was stupid at that time and still is today.

My top choice that year was anybody-but-a-QB (they all sucked and none had the potential to be a franchise QB).  After that it was probably Fish, Star, or Joeckel (in no particular order).  So I really can't proclaim that I was right about that draft, but I don't think there are many who can.  It was just a terrible year to have the #1 overall pick.

I agree that using the #1 overall on a RT isn't very good value, but, even in hindsigth, there really weren't any good options that year.

and with the first pick the Kansas City Chiefs pick LT ???? from ????

Fisher "not caring" if he plays LT or RT says there is a "pride" problem. yes thats is a team first attitude but it also shows lack of motivation ..just my opinion. He's also costing himself a hell of a lot of $$ when his next paycheck  negotiation comes due.

Chiefs can spin this  the way they are to save face but deep down inside they must be looking at the floor and kicking themselves in the ass.

OT my friend you're probably right...any way its spins a #1..#1 for a RT is not good...yet I applaud them for having the balls to admit the mistake. If the line plays well smith and the others will put up points...that's all we should care about..still a ballsy move in my opinion.

It wasn't a particularly strong draft, but I don't like making a final declaration in less than 3 seasons. Right now the first round class isn't looking good, but they should of been able to land a hit.

This is kinda one of those drafts that armchair GM's actually did fairly well on.

P.S. I think Tavon Austin looks a lot better if the Rams didn't constantly trot out a tire fire at QB.

Guest Calichief

My top choice that year was anybody-but-a-QB (they all sucked and none had the potential to be a franchise QB). After that it was probably Fish, Star, or Joeckel (in no particular order). So I really can't proclaim that I was right about that draft, but I don't think there are many who can. It was just a terrible year to have the #1 overall pick.

I agree that using the #1 overall on a RT isn't very good value, but, even in hindsigth, there really weren't any good options that year.

If he even makes it at RT. He wasn't good there before.

The 2013 Draft was tough. There was no one who impressed me to be the #1 pick. My thoughts were that Joeckel was a better pick and more of a sure thing. He hasn't done well either. I heard all the hype about Fisher, and he looked alright, but nothing screamed first round left tackle. When I saw him play, it seemed to me he was a rather prototypical RT. 

If Stephenson can nail down the LT spot, and Fisher does an admirable job at RT, then the team wins. I think it may have taken this long for it to work out this way, but I am glad it did. I harbor no hatred to Fisher. I think he could be a decent player. The #1 pick or high selection tag on a player can be harmful. When that player does not play up to that status it is assumed he is a failure. Fisher is probably going to end up being one of the 32 best RT in the NFL. I think he has in in him to be in the top 5 at that spot. That does not make him a failure. The fail was picking him that early. People got blown away by his Senior Bowl appearance. Had he gone up against a better cast of players he may have been drafted late round 1 early 2, and been seen as a success. 

I like the move. I hope it works. 

All these last minute moves on the oline have dampened my expectations. I will absolutely root for all these guys to exceed expectations.

My Last Negative oline comment for this season: "This was the #1 issue going into the off season and it seems like KC chose to punt".

Go Chiefs!

I thought Fisher sucked at RT as a rookie.  I sure hope he has improved A LOT!!! or JJ Watt is going to abuse him.

Well, to be honest, JJ abuses almost everyone he lines up against.

He came from a small school.  The Chiefs knew he had to be developed.  Rather than ride the bench as a #18 pick, they put him at RT.  Second year, he went to LT but had been injured and had no upper body mass and couldn't get his arms up.  Last year, he kept improving as the season went on, had plenty of good mass, developed a strong punch, and started dominating people.  Articles were written about his great footwork before his ankle injury.  He is good enough to still play at RT while  his ankle gets stronger.  O-linemen take about three years to develop.

They needed offensive help because they forced themselves into it.

They locked themselves into having to go OT. Why? I'll never know.

It's obvious that Scott Pioli wasn't a good General Manager and that Romeo Crennel wasn't a good head coach, and when John Dorsey and Andy Reid took over, there were a lot of holes to fill. It's hard to argue that the Chiefs should have drafted anything besides a Left Tackle in that 2012 draft, and they still seem to have gotten one of the better, more durable players there.

Again, it was a weak class. What are you going to do?

It's obvious that Scott Pioli wasn't a good General Manager and that Romeo Crennel wasn't a good head coach, and when John Dorsey and Andy Reid took over, there were a lot of holes to fill. It's hard to argue that the Chiefs should have drafted anything besides a Left Tackle in that 2012 draft, and they still seem to have gotten one of the better, more durable players there.

Again, it was a weak class. What are you going to do?

See what you got in Donald Stephenson, who you just drafted a year ago. They also already had a good LT in Albert.

They should of gone DT and the Chiefs could be rolling with a crazy DL right now.

Blaming a weak class for a shit pick isn't a great reason.

I don't know if it's really a desperation move.

I think Fisher just got flat out beat at LT by Stephenson and there really isn't any deeper theory involved.

A below average Fisher at RT is still better than Fanaika.

They are playing the best guy at each position and Stephenson was the best guy at LT.

Archived