Fisher now starting RT?

Guest Bilyous2

I don't know if it's really a desperation move.

I think Fisher just got flat out beat at LT by Stephenson and there really isn't any deeper theory involved.

A below average Fisher at RT is still better than Fanaika.

They are playing the best guy at each position and Stephenson was the best guy at LT.

I disagree.  I believe that Reid was totally honest in the interview.  Stephenson sucks at RT but is more than decent at LT, and to have him play RT with a total rookie next to him at RG would be an invitation for disaster against the Texas front.  Duvernay-Tardiff needs Fish next to him, and Grubbs can help Stephenson on the left.  Fisher is both very good and very versatile, and Stephenson is not. 

It seems that many wish to believe that Fisher is a bust and that this is a demotion. It is not. It is pure logic.  Reid wants the best front he can against the Texans, and having Stephenson and a rookie trying to hold off the Texans on the right side is just not a viable plan. I don't understand why everyone wants to read something negative between the lines and think the worst about Fisher.  I just don't get it.  If there is a guy in football who can put together the best O-line he can with the players he has, it is Reid, and Reid does not blow smoke out his ass.  He gave a perfectly logical answer, and it has nothing to do with anything negative about Fisher.  Fisher absolutely killed it at LT against Arizona before he got hurt.  But he can play either side and Stephenson is only competent on the left.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I disagree. I believe that Reid was totally honest in the interview. Stephenson sucks at RT but is more than decent at LT, and to have him play RT with a total rookie next to him at RG would be an invitation for disaster against the Texas front. Duvernay-Tardiff needs Fish next to him, and Grubbs can help Stephenson on the left. Fisher is both very good and very versatile, and Stephenson is not.

It seems that many wish to believe that Fisher is a bust and that this is a demotion. It is not. It is pure logic. Reid wants the best front he can against the Texans, and having Stephenson and a rookie trying to hold off the Texans on the right side is just not a viable plan. I don't understand why everyone wants to read something negative between the lines and think the worst about Fisher. I just don't get it. If there is a guy in football who can put together the best O-line he can with the players he has, it is Reid, and Reid does not blow smoke out his ass. He gave a perfectly logical answer, and it has nothing to do with anything negative about Fisher. Fisher absolutely killed it at LT against Arizona before he got hurt. But he can play either side and Stephenson is only competent on the left.

You saw fisher play good in a preseason.

Bil, Fisher has a lot to prove. He was terrible in year 1. And wasn't much better last year.

I don't understand why everyone wants to read something negative between the lines and think the worst about Fisher. I just don't get it.

It is not sophisticated to be positive, you are being fooled if you are not negative, naive if you are not cynical... Haven't you heard? We want to be the smartest. Fisher's a bust and this move shows it. ;)

I disagree.  I believe that Reid was totally honest in the interview.  Stephenson sucks at RT but is more than decent at LT, and to have him play RT with a total rookie next to him at RG would be an invitation for disaster against the Texas front.  Duvernay-Tardiff needs Fish next to him, and Grubbs can help Stephenson on the left.  Fisher is both very good and very versatile, and Stephenson is not. 

It seems that many wish to believe that Fisher is a bust and that this is a demotion. It is not. It is pure logic.  Reid wants the best front he can against the Texans, and having Stephenson and a rookie trying to hold off the Texans on the right side is just not a viable plan. I don't understand why everyone wants to read something negative between the lines and think the worst about Fisher.  I just don't get it.  If there is a guy in football who can put together the best O-line he can with the players he has, it is Reid, and Reid does not blow smoke out his ass.  He gave a perfectly logical answer, and it has nothing to do with anything negative about Fisher.  Fisher absolutely killed it at LT against Arizona before he got hurt.  But he can play either side and Stephenson is only competent on the left.

Stephenson is just wildly inconsistent, regardless of the spot he's playing at.

If not buying into sunshine and unicorns beaming from the team every August is being negative, than so be it. Fisher is a mostly solid technician, but he is physically manhandled quite a bit and his tape has shown it. Until that changes and the proof is there, it is what it is.

It is not sophisticated to be positive, you are being fooled if you are not negative, naive if you are not cynical... Haven't you heard? We want to be the smartest. Fisher's a bust and this move shows it. ;)

I see.  Yes.  That makes sense now.

Stephenson is just wildly inconsistent, regardless of the spot he's playing at.

If not buying into sunshine and unicorns beaming from the team every August is being negative, than so be it. Fisher is a mostly solid technician, but he is physically manhandled quite a bit and his tape has shown it. Until that changes and the proof is there, it is what it is.

I think that when he is finally healthy, Allen will move to RT, and Fisher will go back to LT, with Stephenson his primary backup. Allen is also versatile and can play guard when needed.  Reid values competent versatility, which Stephenson does not have.  Any team can field a "good" product at the beginning of the year, but the team that has competent versatile starters and the best depth will end up winning the last part of a season.  Beyond that, the teams that have the best QB's will dominate in the playoffs. 

With the loss of Hudson and the horror show with McGlynn, Dorsey did a great job drafting Morse and picking up Grubbs and Fanaika.  I truly believe that Fisher will end up a pro-bowl level LT within the next couple of years, but Dorsey is going to have to use a #1 choice next winter on the best possible RT candidate. At some point, if Reid does not eat his way into a heart attack, he will make sure that the OL is one of the top units in the league.

Looking over the 2013 Draft's first round, almost all of the picks for offensive players have flopped. It was a terrible year to need offensive help.

Not that I disagree with Dee Ford, but it seemed like Offense was a better pick in 2014 and Defense in 2013, right?

The switch between Stephenson and Fish, is more about Donald than Fish. Fisher plays both tackle spots average to good. Don plays the RT spot like ass, and the LT spot average to good. Reid's wants the best players on the field, so if Fish can play RT better than everyone else, and Stephenson is average at LT, then why not make the switch?

At least Fish is making a big deal about...At least in public. (He may be pissed big time in private) He has to play RT because Stephenson sucks ass so bad on the right.

I think it's a good move if Stephenson really pans out and plays well. Nonetheless, based on my interpretation of what Reid said, this move is more about how shitty Donald is at RT, versus how good he is at LT

I think that when he is finally healthy, Allen will move to RT, and Fisher will go back to LT, with Stephenson his primary backup. Allen is also versatile and can play guard when needed.  Reid values competent versatility, which Stephenson does not have.  Any team can field a "good" product at the beginning of the year, but the team that has competent versatile starters and the best depth will end up winning the last part of a season.  Beyond that, the teams that have the best QB's will dominate in the playoffs. 

With the loss of Hudson and the horror show with McGlynn, Dorsey did a great job drafting Morse and picking up Grubbs and Fanaika.  I truly believe that Fisher will end up a pro-bowl level LT within the next couple of years, but Dorsey is going to have to use a #1 choice next winter on the best possible RT candidate. At some point, if Reid does not eat his way into a heart attack, he will make sure that the OL is one of the top units in the league.

Shuffling the Oline around and around isn't smart at all as continuity is very important for Oline play.

If Stephenson is your Week 1 starter at LT, he's probably your season long starter unless it's a disaster. He can play both tackle spots and I'm not really sure where the hot take of how he can't is a thing. The problem is if he does well, he will be out of the Chiefs range for an extension.

Fisher was drafted to be the Chiefs LT and I'm not really buying the reasoning Andy gave for the move.

Versatility is nice but the players still gotta be good.

Shuffling the Oline around and around isn't smart at all as continuity is very important for Oline play.

If Stephenson is your Week 1 starter at LT, he's probably your season long starter unless it's a disaster. He can play both tackle spots and I'm not really sure where the hot take of how he can't is a thing. The problem is if he does well, he will be out of the Chiefs range for an extension.

Fisher was drafted to be the Chiefs LT and I'm not really buying the reasoning Andy gave for the move.

Part of his reasoning was positioning... He believes LDT and Fisher will work well together and so will Grubbs and Stephenson. I'm interested to see how they perform like this

You could be right...but I don't recall Reid ever lying publicly.  He either tells the truth or says nothing at all.

Not specifically talking about the board, but the radio was saying the Star reporter asked a legit question and Andy snapped at him. It was a legit question, that the reporter knew he couldn't answer. It was a waste of time and a question. I don't blame him for being irritated.

Not specifically talking about the board, but the radio was saying the Star reporter asked a legit question and Andy snapped at him. It was a legit question, that the reporter knew he couldn't answer. It was a waste of time and a question. I don't blame him for being irritated.

You can see the exchange here: http://www.arrowheadpride.com/2015/9/8/9275685/watch-chiefs-andy-reid-defend-eric-fisher-in-exchange-with-reporter

Ultimately, if this offensive line keeps Smith off of his back, I don't care if Fisher is playing guard or center, much less right tackle. Defensive coordinators don't mope and pout on the sideline when their ROLB or RE is going against a premier LT. They game plan around the offense's strengths and weaknesses, moving defenders around the box as it suits them. Wherever Eric Fisher lines up on Sunday, he's going to be blocking anywhere from three to seven different players depending on what offensive plays are called and what defensive schemes are used as counters.

Or maybe Alex Smith is about to show us that he's actually not right-handed.

Guest Grizpapa

He can play both tackle spots and I'm not really sure where the hot take of how he can't is a thing. 

It's probably because he could never play well enough to win back the job from Harris last year.

That and he was slated to be a back-up to Allen at RT until Allen got hurt.

So it's not really a "hot take".

Reid basically shut down Paylor and called him stupid for suggesting exactly what you said.

It's probably because he could never play well enough to win back the job from Harris last year.

That and he was slated to be a back-up to Allen at RT until Allen got hurt.

So it's not really a "hot take".

Reid basically shut down Paylor and called him stupid for suggesting exactly what you said.

It was a stupid question, because he had already asked the question, and it had already been answered.  As for Fisher, he was still recovering from injury last year, had missed all of camp, and did not have the upper body strength and punch built back until mid season.  He couln't really get his hands up, which is essential for a LT.  The last 11 games of the season, he did very well and had good stats.  This is his third year, and it takes at least 3 years for an offensive lineman to develop.  He is going to be a fixture for a long time...to the benefit of the Chiefs. Remember, he also came from a small school.  Reid is not a liar. 

So, get over it.

Archived