Weekly Rooting Guide

Don't think I will continue doing this thread, but let's go Vikings over the Raiders, Eagles over Dolphins, Browns over Steelers, Jaguars over Ravens, Bengals over Texans, and, of course, Chiefs over Broncos. We have a good chance at three of the six and a possibility for five.

Three so far with one more tomorrow. Damn Eagles. Browns was expected.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I gave this because it was too much work and I didn't think we were going to make the plans. Now, despite the lameness of it, I wish I had continued it. Alas, I will just do the games that are relevant to us.

Chiefs over Raiders: Duh.

Chargers over Broncos: Need to make up for their surprise went over Patriots.

Dolphins over Ravens: Even without their starting quarterback, I always worry about the Ravens running the table. Haven't gone over tiebreakers to see if they could sneak in at 9-7. Need to get them out of there, not motivated to win against us.

Giants over Jets: Duh.

Bills over Texans: I would rather have them both be 6-6 than one being 7-5.

Titans over Jaguars: Just for the heck of it. I don't think they can knock Colts out with the Texans winning, so might as well keep them down.

Colts over Steelers: I might regret this one, but I think the Colts are going to get in so might as well have them win. I don't think Houston or Jaguars are going to keep the Colts out.

Not realistic but wanted to post here:

Basically, for the Chiefs to get a first round playoff bye, two things need to happen. Here's the first thing that must happen:

A-1) The Chiefs must win out, which would give them a 10-2 record against the AFC and a 5-1 record against the AFC West, and...

A-2) The Broncos must lose at least three out of their final four games, which would lead to them ceding the top spot in the AFC West due to a division record that couldn't possibly be at least equal to the Chiefs

This is actually somewhat likely. The Broncos have had so many near-misses over the season, and they are not winning due to their offense. If they get punched in the mouth early, their young quarterback and running game may not be able to even the score. The combined record of their remaining opponents is 25-23 (.521), and they don't have any slam dunk matchups left.

The second thing that must happen:

B-1) The Patriots have to lose three out of their final four games, playing tough road matchups against the Texans, Jets, and Dolphins, along with a home matchup against the lowly Titans; finishing the season 11-5 and tied with an AFC West-winning Chiefs team, they would give up seeding on the basis of conference wins, or...

B-2) The Bengals have to finish their season with a four-game losing streak, losing first to the visiting Steelers, then to what has become a feisty San Francisco team, followed by what could be a desperate Denver team, and then finally a traveling Ravens team that will have nothing left to play for but pride; they would thus finish a game behind the Chiefs, or...

B-3) The Patriots and Bengals must each lose any three out of their next four games (but not all four), which would trigger a three-way tie-breaker that would be won by the Chiefs due to conference record, or...

B-4) The Steelers must win out, the Bengals must lose against the Steelers, Broncos, and Ravens, and the Bills and Seahawks together must not win more than two-and-a-half games more than the Colts and Cardinals, in which case the Steelers would win the AFC South tie-breaker by virtue of Strength of Victory, and then the Chiefs would win a two-way tie-breaker on the basis of their head-to-head victory against the Steelers

Simply put, if the Chiefs win the AFC West with an 11-5 record, they will be at least a third-seed in the AFC playoffs. To improve that seeding to second place, they need to have a win-loss record the same as or better than the eventual AFC West-winning team or an AFC North-winning Steelers team. A first-seed is within the realm of possibility, but would require the total collapse of all three teams currently leading the AFC. An 11-5 AFC West-winning Chiefs team would have a two-way tie-breaker over every other potential AFC Division-winning team except for the Bengals, and would have a three-way tie-breaker over every potential AFC Division-winning team.

So basically, your end-of-season rooting guide involves rooting against the Broncos, Patriots, Bengals (except in the case of the Broncos matchup), Bills, and Seahawks, and rooting for the Steelers (for as long as the Chiefs are winning and the Bengals are losing), the Colts, and the Cardinals.

If the Steelers lose in Cincinnati and the Broncos defeat the Raiders this week, the door for first place in the AFC will slam shut on the Chiefs.

Not realistic but wanted to post here:

Hate to be a downer, but that just isn't going to happen.  The Chiefs should have the fourth best AFC record but since Indy or HOU has to be a divisional champ, they will be seeded fifth and that's assuming they win out although they could lose one more and have a good chance to make it.  Fifth isn't bad.  Sure, they play on the road, but it will be at HOU or IND and either is beatable.

We root for Denver to lose. There are two major reasons. First, there is still a possibility the Chiefs could overtake Denver, but Denver would have to lose three of the final four games. In fact, it is still possible for Denver to miss out on the playoffs entirely, although this is highly unlikely. The second reason to wish bad things on Denver is we would hope a controversy would appear between starting Osweiller, and starting Manning at the end of the year. So far Brock Osweiller has answered all the critics. A loss to Oakland could open the door to Manning. 

The Broncos have a series of injuries heading into the Oakland game. Unfortunately for Oakland, they got beat up pretty bad as well. 

http://www.raiders.com/news/article-1/Oakland-Raiders-Week-14-Injury-Report-Hudson-Mack-Miss-Wednesday-Practice/c170ec14-e998-4e10-8b38-97820160bff1

We root for Denver to lose. There are two major reasons. First, there is still a possibility the Chiefs could overtake Denver, but Denver would have to lose three of the final four games. In fact, it is still possible for Denver to miss out on the playoffs entirely, although this is highly unlikely. The second reason to wish bad things on Denver is we would hope a controversy would appear between starting Osweiller, and starting Manning at the end of the year. So far Brock Osweiller has answered all the critics. A loss to Oakland could open the door to Manning.

The Broncos have a series of injuries heading into the Oakland game. Unfortunately for Oakland, they got beat up pretty bad as well.

http://www.raiders.com/news/article-1/Oakland-Raiders-Week-14-Injury-Report-Hudson-Mack-Miss-Wednesday-Practice/c170ec14-e998-4e10-8b38-97820160bff1

The way everyone has annointed Derek Carr and has talked about Oakland's rise being inevitable, I wouldn't mind them being blown out with 4 INTs from Carr. Though I don't expect it, I would like Carr to become Tannehill, Foles, or Bradford. Wanting him to be his brother, would be cruel.

That way everyone has annointed Derek Carr and has talked about Oakland's rise being inevitable, I wouldn't mind them being blown out with 4 INTs from Carr. Though I don't expect it, I would like Carr to become Tannehill, Foles, or Bradford. Wanting him to be his brother, would be cruel.

We saw last Sunday who he is. I am not all that impressed. He is a decent quarterback. 

We saw last Sunday who he is. I am not all that impressed. He is a decent quarterback.

Who is better long term - Bridgewater or Carr? Bridgewater is winning and is playing his role, but it really is limited, which is ok if you are not 8/8 in TD/INT ratio in your second year. That either needs to go up and stay one to one or better or there needs to be fewer interceptions in that ratio. Carr is not winning, but produces - he also has a supporting cast that Bridgewater doesn't. Outside of running back, of course.

I would easily take Carr over him, especially if you include Cooper, but as I said, I would hope he turns out to be Tannehill, Foles, or Bradford (after including their supporting cast). I just know there are plenty of people jumping on Bridgewater as well and criticizing us for passing on him. I think the criticism would be on passing on Carr or no criticism but hoping for getting someone as good later.

Would I like either of those quarterbacks? Sure, with Reid and the rookie cap, but if I'm taking success now and drafting a better quarterback later (diamond in the rough that I trust Dorsey can find) or a developed Murray? I'd take the latter. Saying this because I know that Reid and Dorsey didn't think enough of these two to take them. If this were before the draft, I wouldn't know that Dorsey and Reid felt they could go without.

Right now it seems Carr is the better QB. I thought Bridgewater was going to be a star. I did say he should sit and develop behind an experienced quarterback. Carr benefits from a better OL, and really good receivers. Bridgewater has an incredible runningback, but that guy doesn't block, and Teddy is getting killed. 

So much has to do with where a player goes in determining future success. The Chiefs have three other quarterbacks under contract. I look for Chase Daniel to become a starter for some other team. A natural fit might be the Saints, but Drew Brees would have to move on before that happens. Murray seems small, but he has a decent arm. Tyler Bray has picked up a nice check, and is signed through 2017, despite not playing a snap. 

Concerning the rooting guide, I'd like to suggest the following:

Cowboys: Win against the Packers, lose against the Jets, win against the Bills, lose against the Redskins

Giants: Lose against the Dolphins, then against the Panthers, and then again against the Vikings, but then winning the season finale against the Eagles

Eagles: Lose against the Bills and the Cardinals, then win against the Redskins, and finally lose against the Giants

Redskins: Lose against the Bears, Bills, and Eagles, but then win against the Cowboys

These results would trigger a four-way tie for the NFC East with a 6-10, and would represent the ultimate 'no one really wants to win the division scenario'. Each team would have finished the season 3-3 in their division, and the tie-breaker that would matter most would be the common games tie-breaker: The Eagles would end up winning the division because they went 3-5 against the NFC South and AFC East (the others would have gone 2-6).

With the Eagles going to the playoffs, Chip Kelly might end up sticking around for another year in Philadelphia, providing yet more media fodder for the 2016 season.

You have to love it when 6-10 teams host playoff games.

No, you don't.

I'm tired of Watt and think Luck is lucky and crowned a bit too early (not saying he never will or should) so other than the Jaguars, who won't win the division, who amI to root for? At least this week I can root for the Jags over Colts and Pats over Texans.

I'm tired of Watt and think Luck is lucky and crowned a bit too early (not saying he never will or should) so other than the Jaguars, who won't win the division, who amI to root for? At least this week I can root for the Jags over Colts and Pats over Texans.

I've seen a lot of 49ers fans draw a parallel between Colin Kaepernick's off year and that of Andrew Luck's.

The difference here is that Luck is assured a starting job next year because of his fundamentals. Kaepernick is not because of his lack thereof.

I've seen a lot of 49ers fans draw a parallel between Colin Kaepernick's off year and that of Andrew Luck's.

The difference here is that Luck is assured a starting job next year because of his fundamentals. Kaepernick is not because of his lack thereof.

I'm sure those people who give that parallel between Kaepernick and Andrew Luck, don't give Smith any slack for where our oline was at the beginning of the year when we were 1-5.

I'm sure those people who give that parallel between Kaepernick and Andrew Luck, don't give Smith any slack for where our oline was at the beginning of the year when we were 1-5.

They're also the same ones that are arguing that Blaine Gabbert is no better than Kaepernick, and that the 49ers should have tanked the rest of the season and drafted a quarterback early in 2016.

They're also the same ones that are arguing that Blaine Gabbert is no better than Kaepernick, and that the 49ers should have tanked the rest of the season and drafted a quarterback early in 2016.

I think Gabbert, once he got over being scared in the pocket, showed that he can overall be more effective than Kaepernick in their offense. It doesn't matter whether or not Kaepernick would be better in a different offense; for that offense, you need to be able to execute their offense because that is what's going to remain for at least another year, as I hear.

What do you think they should do? Should they stick with Gabbert for another year and draft a quarterback? Should they stick with Gabbert and not draft quarterback early? Or should they move on from Gabbert and have him be the back up to whoever they draft? Should they go the trade or free agency route? Do you think Drew Brees can be had and if so, should they pursue him? (Not asking whether Brees would like to go from a struggling team to another struggling team.) This is assuming that they come to their senses and try to get Sean Payton or someone. Or if you think that Tomsula is just missing his quarterback.

In the Denver/Oakland game, Denver is the better team and they are getting lucky. Oakland dropped an interception and then on a subsequent drive, had a ball hit up in the air forever that Thomas caught. Thomas gets credit for catching the ball and that's not luck, but where the ball went was luck and that could've been picked off. Then a few plays later Sanders popped the ball up again and Oakland dropped it. Before anyone gets upset, we have been lucky too on some plays. You could also say that Osweiller was unlucky that Sanders didn't catch the ball.

Oh my god

Talib just hooked cooper right in front of ref and nothing!!!

NFL loves the donkeys

I was surprised the referees didn't say that when I hit the brights. I can see them explaining that it's a judgment call, the kick extends where the ball would've gone if the uprights were only 1 inch thick.

Archived