I'm about to go off on Gregg Rosenthal

It's obvious Rosenthal has an ax to grind against KC...especially Alex Smith. I used to look forward to the weekly game analysis between the Chiefs and whoever they were facing. Apparently this is what they are doing now...and guess who gets in on the action?

http://www.nfl.com/videos/kansas-city-chiefs/0ap3000000524338/Chiefs-vs-Texans-preview

Cannot believe this is the quality of product the NFL network is putting out!

It's obvious Rosenthal has an ax to grind against KC...especially Alex Smith. I used to look forward to the weekly game analysis between the Chiefs and whoever they were facing. Apparently this is what they are doing now...and guess who gets in on the action?

http://www.nfl.com/videos/kansas-city-chiefs/0ap3000000524338/Chiefs-vs-Texans-preview

Cannot believe this is the quality of product the NFL network is putting out!

What an idiot. How the hell did he get a job?

What an idiot. How the hell did he get a job?

He got his start at Rotoworld Fantasy Sports. 

Here are some comments from nerds who followed him at RFS

Posted 16 March 2012 - 02:27 PM

I know this isn't at all related to any fantasy football player, but I thought it was worth mentioning that today is Gregg Rosenthal's last day at Rotoworld. Ever since I started using the site 6 years ago, he's been one of my favorite writers and a guy who really knows his stuff.

Great job, Gregg! Thanks for your input! You will be missed. 

Yeah, this is a big loss for Rotoworld -- Goal Line Stand was a staple of my fantasy football prep every week for many years. Now I know why they had him write it tag team this past season; so that it wouldn't feel like someone random was taking it over. 

GL Gregg! 

'm gonna miss his columns. wacko.png

Oh wait... this is strange.... two of his followers at Rotoworld Fantasy Sports did a Youtube together.

Hey just saw the nfl.com preview of the Texans Chiefs...

seems he cant get excited about watching Houston, and Watt on the same field.

seems The texan quarterback is better than alex..

entire preview was hoyer throwing passes..

can hoyer be as generic as alex smith..

49ers franchise records
  • Most game winning drives in a single season: 6 (2011)[74]
  • Most 4th quarter comeback wins in a single season: 6 (2011)[74]
  • Fewest interceptions in a single season: 5 in 2011 (16 starts)[74]
  • Most consecutive pass attempts without an interception: 249 (previous record: 184, by Steve Young)[75][76]
Alex Smith...

KC will have to play better against Denver to win. I believe they left a lot on the field. They are a better team than they demonstrated. Despite the score, there were issues that could have been much better. They need to get the run going better. When there was a hole, Jamaal made the best of it. Houston has a strong defense, but every top tier team has a good defense. Denver will be stout against the run.

The Chiefs were protecting a lead in the second half, but their receivers need to do a better job getting open. The rush defense showed some weakness. There are issues that need to be worked on. All in all, the Chiefs did what they had to do, and walked away with a win.

Recently a writer posted this

The favorites

1. Seattle Seahawks
2. GreenBay Packers
3. Pittsburgh Steelers
4. New England Patriots
5. Philadelphia Eagles  **
6. Denver Broncos
7. Indianapolis Colts

3 of those 7 lost Sunday, and Philadelphia lost Monday.

He also wrote this

Playoff contenders

8. Detroit Lions
9. Baltimore Ravens
10. Miami Dolphins
11. Minnesota Vikings  **
12. Arizona Cardinals
13. New Orleans Saints
14. Cincinnati Bengals
15. San Diego Chargers
16. Dallas Cowboys  *
17. Buffalo Bills

Dallas plays tonight.Minnesota plays Monday.  Miami barely beat a really bad Washington team, Three of 3 of the 10 lost their first game this year.

Then wrote wrote this

Tier of mediocrity

18. Kansas City Chiefs
19. Atlanta Falcons **
20. New York Jets
21. St. Louis Rams
23. New York Giants  **
24. Houston Texans
25. San Francisco 49ers **

2 of those 8 teams lost on Sunday, the Falcolns won on Monday, and the San Fran is playing.

Finally, he wrote this

Uphill battle

26. Tennessee Titans
27. Jacksonville Jaquars
28. Oakland Raiders
29. Cleveland Browns
30. Chicago Bears
31. Tampa Bay Buccaneers
32. Washington Redskins

Only Tennessee won today of this group.

Looking objectively, he probably got the bottom 6 just about right. Tennessee played TB, so we will have to wait to see if they are good, or if TB is just really bad. My thought is TB is really bad.

Kansas City was obviously the best of their bunch, but beating Houston does not make them a world beater.

Baltimore may be worse than their rating, especially now that Suggs has been lost for the season. Denver's defense is really good, but it appears their offense is not as strong as in the past.

Six teams rated higher than KC lost their first game. Dallas, Philadelphia, and Minnesota were rated higher, but have yet to play.

All of them...proud to say I got a scholarship that paid for my college AND I played sports. Weird how that happens...

I agree with you. I was bothered by that comment also.  Musicians are not nerds or wimps. It takes as much discipline and courage and hard work as sports.  It has no correlation with athletic inability or talent. I spent 59 years as a trumpet player, including professionally, and no one ever bullied or intimidated me for sure. I played jazz in clubs in New Orleans, and I couldn't keep the women off of me.  That comment was as absurd as saying that all football players are booger-picking, brainless jocks who are incapable of creativity or achievement in arts and sciences.  I was offended by the remark also.

That Peyton Manning ad where his double is a nerdy barbershop quartet singer also makes me want to puke on him and the people who created that ad even more. That entire series of ads is obnoxious.

Guest 303Chiefs

I agree with you. I was bothered by that comment also.  Musicians are not nerds or wimps. It takes as much discipline and courage and hard work as sports.  It has no correlation with athletic inability or talent. I spent 59 years as a trumpet player, including professionally, and no one ever bullied or intimidated me for sure. I played jazz in clubs in New Orleans, and I couldn't keep the women off of me.  That comment was as absurd as saying that all football players are booger-picking, brainless jocks who are incapable of creativity or achievement in arts and sciences.  I was offended by the remark also.

That Peyton Manning ad where his double is a nerdy barbershop quartet singer also makes me want to puke on him and the people who created that ad even more. That entire series of ads is obnoxious.

To add to what you said, I had to march in the band in college as part of the curriculum for my degree.  Aside from the physical aspect of marching around on a field playing and instrument (a lot more difficult that people know), the football and basketball teams treated us like gold.  I'm talking head coaches watching practices, players getting involved with the band, chartered flights to bowl games and championship games with the team.  We were not treated as, "nerds," by any means.  The traditions of sports teams and marching bands run deep, and the teams they are linked to love them.  But...that's just my opinion based off of one of my very exceptional experiences as a musician.

Rosenthal tried to make a case that Hoyer and A Smith were basically the same kind of QB. Look at their stat lines and tell me what you see Gregg

PASSING CP/ATT YDS TD INT B. Hoyer 18/34 236 1 1

PASSING CP/ATT YDS TD INT A. Smith 22/33 243 3 0

Ehh, it's just 4 more completions on one less attempt with 7 more yards, two more TDs, and one less INT. I mean, if you replace thr interception with a 7 yard TD catch, you're basically almost there. *sarcasm*

Rosenthal tried to make a case that Hoyer and A Smith were basically the same kind of QB. Look at their stat lines and tell me what you see Gregg

PASSING CP/ATT YDS TD INT B. Hoyer 18/34 236 1 1   

PASSING CP/ATT YDS TD INT A. Smith 22/33 243 3 0

Alex Smith  118.6 passer rating

Brian Hoyer  72.7 passer rating

Brian Hoyer is closer to Alex Smith than this guy... 24/40 175  0 1  59.9 passer rating  

Mystery man is Peyton Manning. He did not look good. 

Alex Smith  118.6 passer rating

Brian Hoyer  72.7 passer rating

Brian Hoyer is closer to Alex Smith than this guy... 24/40 175  0 1  59.9 passer rating  

Mystery man is Peyton Manning. He did not look good. 

Yeah...that is one ugly stat line. 

Yeah...that is one ugly stat line.

If we can eat clock and score early and often, we can duplicate that at least in totals if not efficiency. I don't think we would because one, it is Manning, and two garbage time yards and production would happen if we were able to succeed early.

I'm not sure anyone saw this months ago, but at the start of 2015, Gregg Rosenthal ranked Alex Smith as the 15th-best quarterback in the NFL. Then, without seeing anything more than a few preseason snaps, Gregg Rosenthal revised his rankings, adjusting Alex Smith's ranking to 20th in the league. Whereas in the earliest 2015 rankings, Alex Smith ranked ahead of Matthew Stafford, Colin Kaepernick, and Teddy Bridgewater, the later rankings shoved Smith back into the 20's, where he has been during most of Rosenthal's ranking efforts.

Gregg Rosenthal has a history of putting physical talent above how a quarterback plays the position according to the strengths of his team, hardly an uncommon evaluative philosophy, and yet thoroughly misguided. Whatever. Rosenthal will have no choice but to praise Smith's job in the pocket in his next round of rankings. Alex Smith will have to throw for 5,000 yards and 40 touchdowns before Rosenthal would ever be willing to eat years of negative chatter about Smith, and since that won't happen, the policy I have toward Rosenthal is to be aware of what he says, but to treat his opinions as next-to-worthless.

The answer to Manning is to get pressure up the middle, and get in his face. Cover the short routes, get a healthy hit on their receivers before 5 yards, and dare him to throw long. He might hit one long one on you, but the odds are he will throw interceptions on the next two. He hasn't the arm strength anymore, and his receivers are not as deep.

The answer to Manning is to get pressure up the middle, and get in his face. Cover the short routes, get a healthy hit on their receivers before 5 yards, and dare him to throw long. He might hit one long one on you, but the odds are he will throw interceptions on the next two. He hasn't the arm strength anymore, and his receivers are not as deep.

yes..I've always thought this was the answer..

more so now.

Archived