Chiefs vs. Texans

These are two strong defensive teams.  That limits the points scored and the point gap between to two at the end of the game.  That would seem to favor the home team.  But Alex Smith is on a different level than Hoyer and is very risk averse.  Since a close game between two teams with excellent defenses usually is decided by turnovers, I'll go with the team with the more experienced QB who avoids risky passes.  The winner of this one will be the team that makes the fewest bad offensive decisions. It will also favor the team with the best RB, and Arian Foster is out and Jamaal is a wizard. I have a gut feeling that Marcus Peters will be the difference in this game. They will be thinking of him as a rookie and take chances against him. I believe he will step in front of the receiver on an ill considered Hoyer pass, and that will make the difference.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Do you all remember how everyone talked about how good Houston's D was last year. So how does a D that is supposedly so good end up ranked #16? Better yet, how are they supposedly so much better this year just because they added an old fat guy in the middle and an untested Clown on the other end?

I know Vince is still a good NT and Clowney is supposed to be a beast but until they show it on this team they are just two more players on an unimpressive team.

Do you all remember how everyone talked about how good Houston's D was last year. So how does a D that is supposedly so good end up ranked #16? Better yet, how are they supposedly so much better this year just because they added an old fat guy in the middle and an untested Clown on the other end?

I know Vince is still a good NT and Clowney is supposed to be a beast but until they show it on this team they are just two more players on an unimpressive team.

How much of the defense ranking is due to a poor offense?  Field position and time of possession can kill the stats of an otherwise good defense.

How much of the defense ranking is due to a poor offense?  Field position and time of possession can kill the stats of an otherwise good defense.

I was thinking the same thing.  Not so much last year, but the few years before last, I felt that the Chiefs had a stiff D.  Too many games, the O couldn't stay on the field for more than about 0:45 and the D was back at it again.  The D was sucking air by the end of the 3rd quarter and the 4th quarter was game over.

I was thinking the same thing.  Not so much last year, but the few years before last, I felt that the Chiefs had a stiff D.  Too many games, the O couldn't stay on the field for more than about 0:45 and the D was back at it again.  The D was sucking air by the end of the 3rd quarter and the 4th quarter was game over.

Agree. These ranking are of little value. Teams that are ahead late are likely to give up more passing yards and less rushing. Teams that are ahead late are likely to run the ball more. Add to that opponents, weather etc. Meaningless stats , good for fantasy players and talking heads.

Wins and losses is what counts. 

According to Yahoo!'s Pro Football Pick 'em, for this week's games the Chiefs are the only underdog in whom the game's participants have placed more confidence (5.1) rather than the favorite (4.8).

I don't know what that means, but it's an interesting sidebar. It makes you wonder what exactly is moving Vegas' line.

Archived