My 2015 "Rankings"

I understand that being undefeated means something and is very hard to do, butttt when you have played only 2 teams with winning records I would think it would water down the power ranking.

Carolina's opponent's combined record is 70-86, the Chief's opponent's combined record is 75-68.

KC has played the same opponent twice which accounts for the lack of games compared to Carolina who has only played 1 team twice and I did not count twams records twice.

Carolina is 2-0 against teams with winning record.

KC is 2-4 against teams with winning records.

Chiefs > Panthers. Carolina has for some reason not convinced me. AZ would beat them IMO.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I understand that being undefeated means something and is very hard to do, butttt when you have played only 2 teams with winning records I would think it would water down the power ranking.

Carolina's opponent's combined record is 70-86, the Chief's opponent's combined record is 75-68.

KC has played the same opponent twice which accounts for the lack of games compared to Carolina who has only played 1 team twice and I did not count twams records twice.

Carolina is 2-0 against teams with winning record.

KC is 2-4 against teams with winning records.

I agree with what you're saying, but my ranking is basically experimental. I have slotted teams within their win category and ranked them within that category. I have it on an Excel sheet with each week being weighed more and right now New England is still number one because of how long they were number one. Playoffs are worth more.

I know, it's a silly ranking, but it's a hobby of mine. I don't take it seriously enough to make a blog of it.

I look at the strength of schedule for their opponents as being 70–73 because I don't think it's really fair to include a loss on your opponent to ruin your opponents record and then use that against you. If you beat them, you ruin their record. Our opponents are thus 70-60.

Good teams bad teams, whatever. Winning 13 games in a row is extremely hard in the NFL. The Panthers have shown that they can do it with an offensive effort, Defensive effort and a team effort.

Any team that's nearly 16 and 0 deserves credit. They throttled a GB team that crushed us.

Using your philosophy on winning streaks KC has the 2nd longest winning streak in the league thus should be #2 oh and did it against better teams. Carolina beat GB during their 3 game losing streak. One of those teams GB lost to was the Lions, a team KC crushed.

I know this is all good and rankings are more of a hobby then science.

• 2 weeks later...

Week 15 “Rankings”

1.      Carolina Panthers:

2.      New England Patriots:

3.      Arizona Cardinals:

4.      Cincinnati Bengals:

5.      Green Bay Packers:

6.      Denver Broncos:

7.      Seattle Seahawks:

8.      Pittsburgh Steelers:

9.      Kansas City Chiefs:

10. Minnesota Vikings:

11. New York Jets:

12. Washington Redskins:

13. Houston Texans:

14. Atlanta Falcons:

15. Buffalo Bills:

16. Tampa Bay Buccaneers:

17. Philadelphia Eagles:

18. New York Giants:

19. St. Louis Rams:

20. Oakland Raiders:

21. Indianapolis Colts:

22. Jacksonville Jaguars:

23. Detroit Lions:

24. New Orleans Saints:

25. Miami Dolphins:

26. Chicago Bears:

27. San Diego Chargers:

28. Dallas Cowboys:

29. Baltimore Ravens:

30. San Francisco 49ers:

31. Cleveland Browns:

32. Tennessee Titans:

Note that the previous week is up, not this week.

No time for drivel this past week.

Not sure if I'm going to switch the Steelers and the Jets or move us up. Winning nine in a row is great, but we have played it close to the vest, it seems. Not quite vanilla, but minimal lately.

Week 16 “Rankings”

1. Carolina Panthers: They earned this spot in my rankings system, but I feel Arizona is the stronger team. We will possibly see them in the NFCC game to battle it out.
  2. Arizona Cardinals: These guys are the true #1 in my real rankings and may be able to catch the Panthers if the Buccaneers upset the Panthers this week.
  3. New England Patriots: Loss in overtime to a streaking Jets ain’t so bad. Tough to find them anywhere past the top 3 or 4 teams in any ranking, in my opinion.
  4. Denver Broncos: Really wanted to drop them, but instead, had to promote them due to Green Bay and Bengals losses.
  5. Cincinnati Bengals: Head to head loss and possible loss of McCarron for Week 17 makes this spot a logical one. Felt like they coached worse than Reid in the second half.
  6. Kansas City Chiefs: A win is a win is a win. A loss would have dropped them almost equally as their jump this week.
  7. New York Jets: Yes, they beat the champs and deserve it, and that’s why they are ahead of Green Bay, but overall their season, based on who they’ve lost to and beaten, had to give the edge to KC.
  8. Green Bay Packers: What? An oline affects even the greats from being great but couldn’t prevent some average to good QBs from being considered better than their production on bad oline teams?
  9. Minnesota Vikings: No matter what they do, if they are being directly compared to the Packers, they’re going to lose the tiebreaker in my opinion.
  10. Seattle Seahawks: Better team than played on Sunday, but they’ve lost twice to the middling Rams. Don’t feel bad for dropping them but will give them the top spot of their win category next week.
  11. Pittsburgh Steelers: Their loss took the possibility of a bye week away from the Chiefs, but that was a pipe dream anyway. Or not. Still, you can’t put so much into your intensity against a rival and not expect it to bite you back, twice.
  12. Washington Redskins: They look to be on the verge of escaping all the .500 talk winning a division. Just need to beat the Cowboys.
  13. Houston Texans: Their hot streak has seemed to come and go recently, but this week, they took care of business with their backup QBs. Which one? Aren’t they all backup QBs?
  14. Atlanta Falcons: Atlanta was about to go down to where their losing streak meant them to be, but then they, like the team below them, inexplicably change course, ruining seasons for teams who have more at stake.
  15. St. Louis Rams: If only they could play all their games in their division. 4-1 within and 3-7 without. Likely will win again this week against their division.
  16. Buffalo Bills: We need their help this week by them losing, so maybe I should be nice to them. Compliment their draft pick and what a loss could do to help.
  17. Oakland Raiders: Can’t say anything bad about them either right before we play them, because I know they read and esteem my drivel.
  18. Indianapolis Colts: Their win kept them from the log-jam of 6-9 teams that follow. Interesting that they would sabotage their draft pick for no reason when they were so adept at maximizing them in 2011?
  19. Detroit Lions: Seen enough close games and good games to not put them atops this bad 6-9 win category.
  20. Chicago Bears: Too many close losses early to call them a bad team. Too few games to call them a good team. Still mad at them for not making good use of our loss.
  21. Tampa Bay Buccaneers: Still a good year for them, but the feel good part of the season has faded. Good for their draft pick.
  22. Philadelphia Eagles: Up and down, down, up and down, down. Their fast pace offense is taking its toll on the defense without providing dividends on offense like before.
  23. New York Giants: Inconsistent success combined with failure is not a good formula.
  24. Baltimore Ravens: Thank you for beating the Steelers, losing to us, and please lose to the Bengals if the Jets win, Denver wins, and we lose?
  25. Jacksonville Jaguars: Still a good year for them, but the feel good part of the season has faded. Good for their draft pick. Yes, same as Tampa Bay.
  26. New Orleans Saints: Another team who ruined their draft pick for no reason, just like last year when they let Tampa Bay tank for Winston while screwing themselves over in the 4th by winning. Brees risking his future playing on his injury, not brave, stupid.
  27. Miami Dolphins: When you can’t even beat the Colts with their third QB, a banged up Chargers team, and barely beat the Eagles and Ravens, ugh, a bad season.
  28. San Diego Chargers: We need your help Rivers, sorry for nearly everything bad we’ve said about you or your team. Beat the Broncos for yours and our sake.
  29. Dallas Cowboys: Nothing much to say, should be down here somewhere.
  30. San Francisco 49ers: Feel they are clueless as opposed young.
  31. Cleveland Browns: Their record doesn’t allow them to rise, especially after a loss, but it’s clear they are ahead of the Titans.
  32. Tennessee Titans: No one is going to take away their number one pick like last year!

Besides us, at this moment in time, Az. And NYJ, look to be the best teams in the NFL. I repeat, at this time.

Agree. One day I might do a true rankings, but I feel that it would be no fun. I can track the ups and downs of a team through the way I do it and it's different than others. But I do see Arizona, and the Jets as being pretty strong and I would probably just out of habit throw the Patriots in there since we're talking about the playoffs.

Agree. One day I might do a true rankings, but I feel that it would be no fun. I can track the ups and downs of a team through the way I do it and it's different than others. But I do see Arizona, and the Jets as being pretty strong and I would probably just out of habit throw the Patriots in there since we're talking about the playoffs.

Pats OLINE will be their undoing. It's a mess.

Week 17 Final Regular Season “Rankings”

1.      Carolina Panthers: Whoever wins the Super Bowl will probably take over this spot by the end, as this year has been closer than last year. The worst team still won 9 games. Last year, Carolina made the playoffs with a losing record, I believe.

2.      Arizona Cardinals: Still have the second lowest loss total despite their blowout loss this week. They wanted home-field throughout, but they're still set for a bye week. They blew out Green Bay, so that should also still count to offset the Seattle blowout loss.

3.      Denver Broncos: Can't drop them if they don't lose and they have the head to head tiebreaker against the Bengals.

4.      Cincinnati Bengals: The team is stronger, even without their QB, than New England. Tom Brady and Belichick on the Bengals would be clear favorites, even against Denver and KC's defenses.

5.      New England Patriots: Last of the 4 loss teams, banged up, but with a bye week. Let's hope that they have home field advantage throughout their run - that would mean Denver or New England would be knocked out.

6.      Kansas City Chiefs: A win is a win is a win. Hopefully, Smith got his turnovers over with, the team learns from their taunting penalty and other second half penalties, and the defense gets back their guys.

7.      Minnesota Vikings: I was wrong, they did have a chance to win the division. I thought Green Bay was bad enough to make it a question but good enough to answer it. Maybe they wanted to lose - wasn't it Washington if they lost and Seattle if they won?

8.      Seattle Seahawks: Would have been higher if not for their bad start for the year or their late loss to the Rams.

9.      Pittsburgh Steelers: Would have been higher if not for their bad middle of the schedule or their late loss to the Ravens. I hope the Ravens game did not wake them up. Would have been lower if the Jets could take care of business like they should have.

10. Green Bay Packers: Part of this is heat-of-the-moment, but part of this has been a build up of sub-expectations play throughout the year. Injuries, coaching, etc. Would have been worse if not for a stupid facemask in the Lions game.

11. New York Jets: They way they played in Week 17, they wouldn't have posed the Bengals much of a problem. Feel bad for Fitzpatrick and don't like Steelers being in the playoffs, but it's good that the good side of the Jets aren't in the playoffs.

12. Washington Redskins: Twelfth looks a bit high for the Redskins, but they are the last playoffs team from the NFC. Won their games at the right time and it would have been expected for them to have a hiccup late when the pressure came. Made the NFC Least Division Race less of a question, though other teams helped by dropping out further.

13. Houston Texans: Wanted to put them higher, so as not to disrespect an opponent before a game, but they didn't win enough to do so and their division provided some victories that wouldn't likely have happened. Will never know for sure, hope the Chiefs respect them and fight.

14. Buffalo Bills: Rex got his full revenge and still missed the playoffs. He was saying, "see? This is what you missed." The Jets were thinking, "the playoffs just like you did this year and with us?"

15. Atlanta Falcons: Finished the season strongly, enough to placate their fans and overrate Matt Ryan again. He can be good, but he's overrated by many around the media.

16. Indianapolis Colts: Somehow kept winning with a backup and then after that ended, fought back to 500. That's what I call luck, just kidding.

17. Detroit Lions: I say this every week, but there were enough close games to rank them highly in their win total category. New coach, now that they've got the discipline part handled better, could do good. Don't expect the change, as their latter season improvement and OC success will lend another year.

18. New Orleans Saints: Brees and Payton might be out next year; didn't feel like ranking them lower. If those two come back to play for the Saints, I will have misplaced my sentiments in placing them this high after this year.

19. Philadelphia Eagles: Inter-rim coached always win their first game, especially in Week 17 or at least it seems. Chip Kelly may be going to the Niners instead of trading for Kaepernick.

20. St. Louis Rams: A win would have been another meaningless division win, so might as well help their draft pick, right? Fisher's job is safe until the LA move or another 12 years, whichever comes first.

21. Oakland Raiders: Wanted to drop them more, but couldn't drop them below the Dolphins who just beat the Patriots for no reason but vainly trying to keep a coach on the team (who was incidentally fired anyway). Game against Chiefs was not as close as the score looked. Must be a record for consecutive games won the way it was (clock running out in the middle of downs, not in play).

22. Miami Dolphins: Beat the Patriots to give Denver even more luck. Stupid Dolphins. Won't matter unless the Patriots are playing the Broncos, so it doesn't really matter.

23. Chicago Bears: This was as high as I could logically put them after their losing streak. Was inclined to put them higher due to their close games, but accumulation of losses makes it unmerited.

24. New York Giants: Coughlin is out, don't know what else to say. Didn't help himself against the Eagles. I tell you, inter-rims always win their first game.

25. Tampa Bay Buccaneers: Dropped off the hot 50-50 start, probably for the best. They need high drafted players.

26. Baltimore Ravens: Fought hard, coached well, injured, close lossed, upset a few, and ultimately finishes in the bottom quarter of the league.

27. San Francisco 49ers: They really don't know how to help themselves. First, they beat the Ravens by 5, Falcons by 1, the Bears in OT, and then this week by a FG in OT. They had every chance at the first seed and players fought for their jobs. Good for them.

28. Jacksonville Jaguars: Teased their fans in the third quarter of the season only to drop the last three. This was the year to take advantage of a down division and AFC.

29. San Diego Chargers: Almost does not get you anything. Failing to capitalize on 5 or 6 turnovers isn't a good thing.

30. Dallas Cowboys: Bad year for them and I'm not sure where they fall in tiebreakers for the third pick, but it's a good consolation prize.

31. Cleveland Browns: Feel bad for whatever QB they draft, but hope it continues to be a Cleveland draft. We don't need any more teams to make fluky challenges for our WC spot or bye week aspirations if we win our division.

32. Tennessee Titans: Firing the coach did nothing, maybe Whisenhunt had secret plans of wasting their number one overall pick? ;)

Maybe Seattle should be ranked a little higher.  It's not good to be Minn and have to face them in the first round.  Aside from that, your rankings seem about right.  Denver lost to the lowly Raiders and flirted with two more losses in the following weeks, but until they actually do lose, guess you have to rank they where you did.  Funny, if Cincy makes that short FG at the end of the half in week 16, the Donks would be down at around 9.

Maybe Seattle should be ranked a little higher. It's not good to be Minn and have to face them in the first round. Aside from that, your rankings seem about right. Denver lost to the lowly Raiders and flirted with two more losses in the following weeks, but until they actually do lose, guess you have to rank they where you did. Funny, if Cincy makes that short FG at the end of the half in week 16, the Donks would be down at around 9.

Yeah, Seattle's loss to the Rams prevented that. Seattle has fewer wins and this ranking system slots it according to record, with the idea that the playoffs and weighing the late season more than early will even things out. Teams with easy schedules were ranked low in their win category and teams with losses to hard teams were high in their win categories. No ties this year and I think bye weeks weren't an issue.

Week 18 After-the-Wild Card Round “Rankings”

1.      Carolina Panthers: Bye week is automatic win.

2.      Arizona Cardinals: Bye week is automatic win.

3.      Denver Broncos: Bye week is automatic win.

4.      New England Patriots: Bye week is automatic win + Bengals lost.

5.      Kansas City Chiefs: Biggest win of the playoffs so far and the two of the winners had significant last minute help from opponents.

6.      Cincinnati Bengals: As of right now, their record (12-5) is higher than Green Bay's record (11-6). Otherwise, I would have jumped Green Bay ahead of them. Not in favor of dropping a team, only raising a team in playoffs.

7.      Green Bay Packers: Their start was terrible, but they got going when they needed to.

8.      Seattle Seahawks: Luckiest team of the playoffs so far, although Cincinnati was the dumbest opponent.

9.      Pittsburgh Steelers:  Benefitted from a stupid opponents as opposed to an unlucky one.

10.    Minnesota Vikings: Glad we are not them this week. It's not ALL the kicker's fault, but I don't know if I would feel that way if they were my team.

11.    New York Jets: Kept them where they were.

12.    Washington Redskins: Couldn't jump the Jets this week, but started out well. Didn't drop them from their spot.

13.    Houston Texans: Probably should drop them, but as I said before, I don't drop teams in the postseason, only raise the winners.

14. Buffalo Bills: 

15. Atlanta Falcons: 

16. Indianapolis Colts: 

17. Detroit Lions: 

18. New Orleans Saints: 

19. Philadelphia Eagles: 

20. St. Louis Rams: 

21. Oakland Raiders: 

22. Miami Dolphins: 

23. Chicago Bears: 

24. New York Giants: 

25. Tampa Bay Buccaneers: 

26. Baltimore Ravens: 

27. San Francisco 49ers: 

28. Jacksonville Jaguars: 

29. San Diego Chargers: 

30. Dallas Cowboys: 

31. Cleveland Browns: 

32. Tennessee Titans: 

I have never liked rankings because like yours the writer's always give teams that haven't played a higher ranking. Out of all the teams left Denver is probably the weakest, now after this weekend I might change my mind, but how they have played lately they are nowhere near #3. Same for NE.

Rankings should not be based on byes, seatings or win/loss records since the weakest AFC West team could have beaten the NFC East and AFC South Champs.

I have never liked rankings because like yours the writer's always give teams that haven't played a higher ranking. Out of all the teams left Denver is probably the weakest, now after this weekend I might change my mind, but how they have played lately they are nowhere near #3. Same for NE.

Rankings should not be based on byes, seatings or win/loss records since the weakest AFC West team could have beaten the NFC East and AFC South Champs.

True, my rankings aren't good, they're just a hobby for me. I weigh playoffs more than regular season and within the W/L category, wins over tough teams propel you. It's more of a list/journal than a rankings, really.

Week 19 After-the-Divisional Round “Rankings”

1. Carolina Panthers: I am not a Seattle fan, but selfishly, I wanted the Panthers to give away a 31 point lead to make me feel 0.0001% better about our 28 point collapse in 2013. (17-1)

2. Arizona Cardinals: Was fortunate that the 2 INTs and Hail Mary's didn't cost them. Palmer will play better, but the Panthers' D should also perform better. (15-3)

3. New England Patriots: Tops of the AFC, just slightly a worse record than Arizona. Super Bowl favorites. (14-4)

4. Denver Broncos: Neither QB scored a passing TD, when has that happened last in a Big Ben/Peyton Manning matchup? Not sure how often they've played and not blaming Denver for rushing one in when they needed to, just surprising. (14-4)

5. Kansas City Chiefs: Here's where we benefit. I don't drop teams in the playoffs, only raise them and no team below the Chiefs won. Also, they got more yards, more third down conversions, more first downs, etc. Don't deserve to jump because they got fewer points, but not dropping them. (12-6)

6. Cincinnati Bengals: Had they beaten the Steelers, the Chiefs might have had the chance to advance to the AFC Championship healthier. Chances are, still a loss, but would have been better. Or they would lose to the Broncos and we'd be more upset. (12-5)

7. Green Bay Packers: Deserve to be above the Seahawks, but had plenty of fortune in timing of INTs (both for and against) and completing another Hail Mary. That was a good throw, so not entirely luck, but no one seems to get in front of the receiver on these passes. (10-7)

8. Seattle Seahawks: Not sure whether I should jump the Steelers above the Seahawks, but the comeback that was expected gave me the tie to keep them where they are. Had the Steelers stopped the Broncos once more or scored a TD instead of FG, I would have switched. (10-7)

9. Pittsburgh Steelers: Antonio Brown would have won this game in my opinion. Thanks again, Burfict and Jones. :(10-7)

10. Minnesota Vikings:

11. New York Jets:

12. Washington Redskins:

13. Houston Texans:

14. Buffalo Bills:

15. Atlanta Falcons:

16. Indianapolis Colts:

17. Detroit Lions:

18. New Orleans Saints:

19. Philadelphia Eagles:

20. St. Louis Rams:

21. Oakland Raiders:

22. Miami Dolphins:

23. Chicago Bears:

24. New York Giants:

25. Tampa Bay Buccaneers:

26. Baltimore Ravens:

27. San Francisco 49ers:

28. Jacksonville Jaguars:

29. San Diego Chargers:

30. Dallas Cowboys:

31. Cleveland Browns:

32. Tennessee Titans:

Week 20 After-the-Conference-Championship Games “Rankings”

1. Carolina Panthers: I think unless the Broncos beat them in the Super Bowl, it would be hard to put them anywhere but first overall. Even a close loss would be still reasonable to leave them here, but I probably would put the Champion at #1 regardless. (18-1)
2. Denver Broncos: Have to give them credit for doing what the Chiefs should have done defensively. Would be hard to put them first if they win in two weeks, but probably would.(15-4)

3. Arizona Cardinals: I don't drop teams in the playoffs, only raise the winners above them, and it would be hypocritical for me to do so here but not with our loss. (15-4)
4. New England Patriots: Their weighted grade will keep them in the Top Three... as if anyone cares about my ranking system. (14-5)

5. Kansas City Chiefs: (12-6)
6. Cincinnati Bengals: (12-5)
7. Green Bay Packers: (10-7)
8. Seattle Seahawks: (10-7)
9. Pittsburgh Steelers: (10-7)
10. Minnesota Vikings:
11. New York Jets:
12. Washington Redskins:
13. Houston Texans:
14. Buffalo Bills:
15. Atlanta Falcons:
16. Indianapolis Colts:
17. Detroit Lions:
18. New Orleans Saints:
19. Philadelphia Eagles:
20. St. Louis Rams:
21. Oakland Raiders:
22. Miami Dolphins:
23. Chicago Bears:
24. New York Giants:
25. Tampa Bay Buccaneers:
26. Baltimore Ravens:
27. San Francisco 49ers:
28. Jacksonville Jaguars:
29. San Diego Chargers:
30. Dallas Cowboys:
31. Cleveland Browns:
32. Tennessee Titans:

For a team that started out slow, the Chiefs did turn their season around. Their division game at NE was not well played. Injuries, lack of experience, and a host of injuries doomed the Chiefs. Still, had Hali's tipped pass fallen on the ground, the Chiefs would have had one last chance to tie. Had that tipped pass fallen into the arms of a KC defender (3 in the area), the Chiefs may have tied their score. Denver got a lucky break. The ball found its way to another receiver,  Bad luck. 

• 2 weeks later...

Week 21 After-the-Super-Bowl “Rankings”

1. Denver Broncos: I might consider differently in the future, but in reality, I don't think I would have anyone else but the Super Bowl winner on top. (16-4)

2. Carolina Panthers: If the game were close, I would have thought about it more. Denver showed how they're the better team this game. (18-2)

3. Arizona Cardinals: (15-4)

4. New England Patriots: (14-5)

5. Kansas City Chiefs: (12-6)

6. Cincinnati Bengals: (12-5)

7. Green Bay Packers: (10-7)

8. Seattle Seahawks: (10-7)

9. Pittsburgh Steelers: (10-7)

10. Minnesota Vikings:

11. New York Jets:

12. Washington Redskins:

13. Houston Texans:

14. Buffalo Bills: